As an atheist does the recent medical paradigm threaten you?

Started by darsenfeld, March 04, 2014, 08:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darsenfeld

Most doctors these days talk about meditation and spirituality as treatments for many conditions.

Isn't this some plot to instill religion/faith into society?  What about atheists?  Is it now "immoral" to be an atheist based on the morals/values of medical professionals?
consistency is for dopes....

Shol'va

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Most doctors these days talk about meditation and spirituality as treatments for many conditions.

Citations needed.

Oh what the heck, I will elaborate :)
It is a well known medical fact that attitude and mood do in fact have an impact on prognosis. This is not to say that you are a god-fearing bible-thumping nut case that is convinced god will save you of cancer, you will be cured. This is to say that if someone gets a serious illness, it is not medically constructive for that individual to be down on life and give up on themselves and the fight. The body tends to follow.

Spirituality doesn't have a definition in any definitive sense of the word. It means a lot of things to a lot of people.
So maybe the statement you posted to you means "doctors are telling patients to go find god"; to me it sounds like "doctors encouraging patiens to do some introspection and continue to fight the good fight"

aileron

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Most doctors these days talk about meditation and spirituality as treatments for many conditions.

WTF?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

darsenfeld

Quote from: "aileron"

WTF?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/use ... meditation

aileron

Quote from: "darsenfeld"
Quote from: "aileron"

WTF?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/use ... meditation

Psychology Today, and especially one person's article in it doesn't represent what "most doctors these days talk about".

Only a small percentage of psychologists are scientific.  Most psychologists live in a weird new-age mysticism and think science is making a bunch of shit up as they go.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

darsenfeld

Quote from: "Shol'va"

Citations needed.

Oh what the heck, I will elaborate :)
It is a well known medical fact that attitude and mood do in fact have an impact on prognosis. This is not to say that you are a god-fearing bible-thumping nut case that is convinced god will save you of cancer, you will be cured. This is to say that if someone gets a serious illness, it is not medically constructive for that individual to be down on life and give up on themselves and the fight. The body tends to follow.

Spirituality doesn't have a definition in any definitive sense of the word. It means a lot of things to a lot of people.
So maybe the statement you posted to you means "doctors are telling patients to go find god"; to me it sounds like "doctors encouraging patiens to do some introspection and continue to fight the good fight"

Many clinics say that "spiritual support" is needed to recover, even for minor illnesses.  

So if the medical profession is not being co-opted by a spiritual agenda, I fail to see why not.

AllPurposeAtheist

The only thing I know about aging is you do it or you fucking DIE!  :evil:  Tell that to your doc.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Meditation is not religion. Spirituality is a self described state of mind experienced by individuals. I find nature to be spiritually uplifting. Nature, not god. I meditate on that. I am still an atheist.

Mermaid

Isn't this some plot to instill religion/faith into society?  What about atheists?  Is it now "immoral" to be an atheist based on the morals/values of medical professionals?
Not in my opinion. Meditation isn't about religion anyway.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

darsenfeld

but to many it has religious connotations.

And is there any inherent good in meditation, or is it just the medical community who are arch-traditionalists or something?

Shol'va

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Many clinics say that "spiritual support" is needed to recover, even for minor illnesses.  

So if the medical profession is not being co-opted by a spiritual agenda, I fail to see why not.
Spiritual support means having someone there, like a friend or family, to help you through rough times.

AllPurposeAtheist

Just because some woo pilot says meditation has to do with woo that doesn't make it so. I could sit and stare long enough at my foot till I calm down and perhaps my foot becomes the woo, but unless you want to give me tithing for my foot I wouldn't put to much stock in it being religion. The same pretty much holds true of *spirituality although I'm more inclined to think of spirituality as just made up feel good gibberish, but that's my opinion and nothing more.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

darsenfeld

That's your view, but then it's self-evident to me that medical professionals hold a plot to turn us into Tibet.

Shiranu

Quote from: "darsenfeld"That's your view, but then it's self-evident to me that medical professionals hold a plot to turn us into Tibet.

It's self evident to me that the government is run by aliens.

Your going to need more than that to convince people here that you are correct. If you don't care if we agree... then have at it, just don't act surprised when people laugh.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

darsenfeld

Well prove me wrong lol., if you can.

And no, I don't presume anybody in life HAS to agree with me.  every human has his or her own mind, experiences, and values, and I'm just one person of billions.