Look at these religious nuts, writing in response to atheist

Started by keylog, March 01, 2014, 05:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylog

We need to help this atheist guy, what should we write back to them?

Link below if u want to see it

http://fitmisc.com/forum/showthread.php ... post563319

Moralnihilist

Why bother? The atheist wandered in there expecting to make a difference. Let him try, he will either succeed of fail on the merits of his arguments alone(and the receptiveness of the audience). For us to run over there and interfere with their little slice of hell would do nothing more than cause them to reciprocate in kind and we would be swamped with more and more theotards than we could shake a stick at. Frankly, I like our corner of hell just fine without having to chase off a theotard every time I log on. It makes me feel comfortable knowing that I don't have to hear the same bullshit "arguments" day in and day out.

In short its the hill he chose to die on, let him.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

stromboli

Nice of you to want to help, but the man picked his battle on somebody else's turf. If he wants to fight on those conditions, he made the decision, he can deal with the consequences.

AllPurposeAtheist

There's a church every 3rd block so I'm not Paraguay going to war with the Marines. Why not go be a guest on fox news.  :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

He's no different than some bible thumper coming to this forum to tell us the errors of our ways.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

As far as that I'm concerned he is making nonbelievers look bad and I don't want to be associated with him. Mermaid hit the nail on the head.

Sent via Tapatalk on my I-605 JediX20

Sal1981

Quote from: "Moralnihilist"Why bother? The atheist wandered in there expecting to make a difference. Let him try, he will either succeed of fail on the merits of his arguments alone(and the receptiveness of the audience). For us to run over there and interfere with their little slice of hell would do nothing more than cause them to reciprocate in kind and we would be swamped with more and more theotards than we could shake a stick at. Frankly, I like our corner of hell just fine without having to chase off a theotard every time I log on. It makes me feel comfortable knowing that I don't have to hear the same bullshit "arguments" day in and day out.

In short its the hill he chose to die on, let him.
This is basically the reason why I don't post on Christianforums.com, although I have to remind myself of that fact every few months ...

keylog

I think you guys don't want to argue with religious anymore because you can't convince them anyway. And it's like talking to a tree?
I think most of you had plenty of discussions with religious and most/all of them kept being ignorant. So now you guys won't engage in a discussion with a religious?

Plu

Engaging in discussion is one thing. Seeking it out is another.

Mermaid

Quote from: "keylog"I think you guys don't want to argue with religious anymore because you can't convince them anyway. And it's like talking to a tree?
I think most of you had plenty of discussions with religious and most/all of them kept being ignorant. So now you guys won't engage in a discussion with a religious?
I think you said it best. It's like talking to a tree.

What would be the point? To quote Mark Twain: Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: "keylog"I think you guys don't want to argue with religious anymore because you can't convince them anyway. And it's like talking to a tree?
I think that comes very close to describing me.  I'm a former Christian, albeit with serious doubt, and I've spent the majority of a rather long life searching for God.  I have been surrounded by religion and doctrine my entire life, and believe me, there is nothing on a Christian forum that presents anything new.

So I hang out on this forum.  It would be nice if I didn't have to, but here I can find people I basically agree with, at least most of the time, and that's impossible in the circle of friends I have access to in my regular life.  I don't apologize for that.  I'm not here to find disagreement.

Oddly, just as in a theist forum, there isn't a lot of new stuff here either.  I've read a number of the current books on atheism too, and oddly, there isn't a lot of new stuff there either.  Most of the arguments presented are things I've figured out over the years on my own.  The one exception, might be God is Not Great by C. Hitchens, where he presents a view of the horribly diabolical evils of religion, something to which I had not given much attention.

But, I'm not here to find anything new.  I just want a place I can go to that makes some logical sense.  It's something I crave.  Why do things need to make logical sense?  I'll be damned if I know.  It's just an inexplicable thirst.  Religion does not offer that.  Why would I go to a religious forum, when I am surrounded by a sea of illogical chaos in my everyday life?