It's OK To Be A Bigot If It Is To Protect Your Religion

Started by Solitary, February 07, 2014, 02:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Good news. But then a giant airline company saved the day, by claiming it would make significant harm and cause loss of job.
It would paint a brighter picture of society if it had failed out of compassion, rather than economics.

Mermaid

The Pollyanna in me chooses to believe that it was common sense that appealed to Brewer rather than economics.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Good news. But then a giant airline company saved the day, by claiming it would make significant harm and cause loss of job.
Yeah, but here is where I'd say that this kind of corporate PR is showing how people think. Companies aren't stupid, when they make a public statement they're trying to appeal to the most people possible. If they saw harm or no benefit from releasing such a statement they wouldn't release such a statement. In some locals, especially areas that have been gerrymandered to hell, being anti LGBT will get you votes. What this shows though is that as a whole, in this nation, being discriminatory and anti LGBT is falling out of fashion.

Plus us gays have all that sweet sweet double income no child money...except for me...fucking broke.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

SGOS

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"What this shows though is that as a whole, in this nation, being discriminatory and anti LGBT is falling out of fashion.
Yes, the fact that an economic statement is made is significant.  Delta could have said nothing, because the bill would not require them to discriminate.  They could continue to service all their customers.  Delta officials understand this of course, so the statement is more like a warning to politicians:  "People will avoid Georgia if it develops a reputation as a haven for bigots."

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"What this shows though is that as a whole, in this nation, being discriminatory and anti LGBT is falling out of fashion.
Yes, the fact that an economic statement is made is significant.  Delta could have said nothing, because the bill would not require them to discriminate.  They could continue to service all their customers.  Delta officials understand this of course, so the statement is more like a warning to politicians:  "People will avoid Georgia if it develops a reputation as a haven for bigots."
Yep. Some people will question this because Georgia has a ban on same sex marriage. I've come to understand that people in general pay no mind to the discriminatory laws already on the books until something happens, but it's come to the point that trying to pass a new discriminatory law is damaging economically and politically. That's a big thing: such laws being introduced in the past would illicit no response or even get mass support, now it's taboo.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"My general point is about a company having this power. Exactly the opposite of this could happen under the same circumstances. Something with this mechanic can easily work other ways. And it is not some far away scenario, esp. since these piece of shits started to develop some new bullshit culture about white christians being oppressed or discriminated against. Because they lost twice.

The fascinating thing about any religious group in a society is that how successfully and fast (in terms of decades in these sense) they can organise. Because secular, sensible minds do not work that way in an individual level, let alone to to push them work in a collective manner for one goal.

But these people do, because this is how they work. This is their existence. And they will get radicalised the more democrats push from the other side. This is why this shouldn't be left to the sense of some company. Companies do this and do that according to mainstream wind. When tables turn...you can't find any of them. People are source for them.

I know it sounds you very exaggerated. It's not. This is domestic, you do not see it coming, because culturally threat of religious fundamentalism you recognise is not coded that way. There wouldn't be bombs, massacres or etc. Whatever is happening is becoming the culture bit by bit and it becomes reality.
I wasn't suggesting that a company should settle matters like this, but rather that a company releasing such a statement is an indicator of general views.

I do agree that an organized movement needs to come about to fight the further radicalization of these fucks, but have no idea about how such a movement can be started when nobody seems to care.

SGOS

If the media is reporting this accurately, Brewer got a bump in the polls.  State legislators don't represent a general cross section of American values.  They represent smaller demographics, often from gerrymandered districts that have borders redrawn around more isolated values.  Districts are not gerrymandered to represent broad cross sections of values and are not representative of the big picture.  Governors don't look at the same polls that State legislators are paying attention to.  State senators are not the brightest politicians either.  They often have more personal agendas, and don't grasp public thinking as well.