Texas Republican Running on Road Kill Platform

Started by SGOS, February 22, 2014, 07:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tex ... too-n36346

Most states outlaw collecting road kill.  Years ago I was given a reason, and it made sense at the time, but I can't remember what it was.  It's not a totally bad idea, I suppose, but it just seems like a strange thing to base a campaign on because I keep picturing "Road Pizza".  You know squashed possums, raccoons, and other unidentifiable varmints that have been run over several times by trucks flattened on the pavement and partially cooked by the Texas sun.

It might someday be a normal telephone call, "Hey Honey, on your way home from work could you keep an eye out for some road kill.  It's either that or macaroni tonight."

Later:  "Oh Honey, you are such a good provider.  Our family is so lucky to have you."

aitm

Usually collecting road kill automatically includes a fucked up front end, and I'm pretty sure that is what he is getting at. But I suppose there are a few odd balls that run the night with a steel grill in the hopes of slamming into deer on the road.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PopeyesPappy

This is Texas. Practically all the trucks have those big ass steel bumpers.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"This is Texas. Practically all the trucks have those big ass steel bumpers.

If I ever get another truck it will have it. We get like 200 road kill accidents in Utah per year. I have had one and learned to avoid several I almost had. My son fragged the front end of his Mercedes a block from his house.

Roadkill is an iffy proposition. Killed by you and harvested immediately, fine. Left and found for more than an hour or two, it highly questionable. Rotting components of the innards, all splattered through the edible meat, can go toxic quickly. Even quicker in the heat. All of the bile and digestive acids, liver fluids and so on are not good to stew your meat in.

This is Texas. If this guy wants his fellow citizens eating potentially tainted meat, have at it.

AllPurposeAtheist

A friend in upstate NY welded a steel cage in front if his old landcruiser fir that exact reason after demolishing like 5 cars hitting deer.. he had a wench and trailer to take them home then sold the meat and skins..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

If you've got the means to do it and it is freshly killed, fine. The hides are also worth money. And it also depends on how the deer is struck. If it is hit in the head so that the torso and innards are intact, it will stay viable longer. But if you hit it mid-torso and it is demolished internally, you're going to be picking meat out of a soup and with shattered bone imbedded in it, so I'd think twice about it.

The Skeletal Atheist

If you wanna risk your life by eating road kill go for it. I have processed road kill before in order to make it into jewelry and such, but I never thought of eating it.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

stromboli

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"If you wanna risk your life by eating road kill go for it. I have processed road kill before in order to make it into jewelry and such, but I never thought of eating it.

^This. There are many useful things about roadkill if you are into that. Antlers for knife handles, hides, deer skulls, even bones have use. But consuming a seriously munched critter on the road side, especially one that's been there for awhile, is not the smartest idea.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

hrdlr110

My mother lives in Ak and there is road kill list for those that qualify financially. It's for moose, and a team will answer the call immediately after the accident to dress the animal, and they then contact the next on the list. Not sure how many from the list are taken with each road kill, I'm sure there are variables depending upon the size of the family vs the size of the moose. The climate in Ak makes this work well, I wouldn't touch meat left on the road in Texas.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts