News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesse Ventura-Libertarian

Started by stromboli, February 19, 2014, 12:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/19/jesse_v ... ve_unions/

I want to make something clear here. I am probably listed as a Libertarian basher, but that is not the case. I don't have a problem with Libertarian views- many of which I share- what I have a problem with is the definition of Libertarian. When somebody like a Rand Paul can support Republican ideology and serve as a Republican, I don't see him as anything else. Politically, Libertarian is a catch all- I would like to see a better definition and a more coherent political platform. People like Penn Gillette and Ron Paul both declare themselves Libertarian, but they are very different ideologically. And granted, we have a two party system. I realize there has to be an identification with one or the other to get elected.

But I agree with some of what Ventura says; I was a union steward at Hill for a few years. There is a place for unions and they do serve a necessary function in bolstering the middle class bargaining power. I also agree with his getting rid of the income tax. I like Ventura. I don't agree with everything he says or does, but he is outspoken and honest.

Please read the entire article before commenting.

Jason Harvestdancer

Given his track record, only supremely ignorant people still consider Rand Paul to represent libertarianism.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Hijiri Byakuren

You're ignoring the fact that "libertarian" exists on a four-way chart.

Liberal and conservative libertarians will have very different opinions, and the exact same divide exists between authoritarians. The label does not become a "catch-all" just because it can't be taken in isolation.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Semantics. Ok, so consider me as ignorant because I want a better definition or understanding. People ask me whether I'm Republican or Democrat, I tell them I am an independent. I'm beginning to think that is the same thing as Libertarian. Maybe independent is a better term. How does the Independent Party sound?

billhilly

Independent works but that doesn't narrow down the options much either.  So many issues, so many positions on said issues, and so few labels.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"You're ignoring the fact that "libertarian" exists on a four-way chart.

[ Image ]

Liberal and conservative libertarians will have very different opinions, and the exact same divide exists between authoritarians. The label does not become a "catch-all" just because it can't be taken in isolation.

Yeah, I think this chart generally works better.

But this one isn't bad either.

White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Gawdzilla Sama

Dear Libertarians, stop calling 9-1-1. We'll only send the part of the fire truck you paid for.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jmpty

Being from Minnesota, we liked Jesse, until it became obvious that he didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing.
???  ??

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"Dear Libertarians, stop calling 9-1-1. We'll only send the part of the fire truck you paid for.
There are extreme libertarians just as there are extreme liberals and conservatives. Most libertarians, however, wouldn't say that we should get rid of fire trucks. Most of us (the liberal-leaning ones, at any rate) are more concerned about out-of-control government spending. We're the guys that say, "Okay, you can have the fire truck, but let's lay off the super-duper NSA surveillance of our own citizens, mmkay?"
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solitary

Quote from: "Jmpty"Being from Minnesota, we liked Jesse, until it became obvious that he didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing.

Could you elaborate on that? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"Dear Libertarians, stop calling 9-1-1. We'll only send the part of the fire truck you paid for.

stromboli

I think Ventura went into office knowing he was clueless. He had a pretty narrow agenda- cutting costs- and accomplished nothing because he was surrounded by opposing politicians. He was probably laughing the whole time.

Aroura33

I cannot respect this man even if he held the most savvy and agreeable political positions, as I think his Conspiracy Theory show borders on criminal stupidity.  It's crap like this that feeds the idiocracy and people like Truthers.

My Facebook feed is often filled with my sister-in-law reposting clips of this damned show, as proof of one of her nutjob beliefs or another.  The government uses HAARP for mind control!  Chemtrails are full of toxins (or possibly vaccines?) Or maybe it's more mind control stuff!  Blah.  Batshit crazy, that's what he really is.  That or scamming those who ARE batshit crazy.  In either case, he's not someone I'd admire.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy