News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Questions for Atheists

Started by Jackdaw, February 13, 2014, 07:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApostateLois

Quote-How do you explain the high degree of design and order in the universe if there is no God?

-How do you account for the vast archaeological documentation of Biblical stories, places, and people?

- Why is there something instead of nothing?

- What caused the universe to exist?

- What do you think caused the Big Bang?

- on what basis can we make moral judgments? How do we know right from wrong?

- Why do human beings matter?

- How do we account for the almost universal belief in the supernatural?

- how do we account for the origin of 116 distinct language families?

- Would you agree with me that just because we cannot see something with our eyes- such as our mind, gravity, magnetism, the wind- that does not mean it doesn't exist?

- would you also agree that just because we cannot see God with our eyes does not necessarily mean he doesn't exist?

- If there is no God, we don't make sense, so how do we explain human longings and desire for the transcendent? How do we even explain human questions for meaning and purpose, or inner thoughts like, why do I fell unfulfilled or empty? Why do we hunger for the spiritual, and how do we explain these longings if nothing can exist beyond the material world?

These are a few questions and would like to see your opinions on some of them.

Bacon.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

the_antithesis

leo

Quote from: "Jackdaw"-How do you explain the high degree of design and order in the universe if there is no God?
Chuck Norris.
-How do you account for the vast archaeological documentation of Biblical stories, places, and people?
Chuck Norris ?
Chuck Norris ?
Chuck Norris roundhouse kick.
Because Chuck Norris said so
Chuck Norris don't give a shit about human beings
Chuck Norris is too powerful
Chuck norris
- Would you agree with me that just because we cannot see something with our eyes- such as our mind, gravity, magnetism, the wind- that does not mean it doesn't exist?
Nothing exists without Chuck Norris approval
- would you also agree that just because we cannot see God with our eyes does not necessarily mean he doesn't exist?
Only if Chuck Norris said so
- If there is no God, we don't make sense, so how do we explain human longings and desire for the transcendent? How do we even explain human questions for meaning and purpose, or inner thoughts like, why do I fell unfulfilled or empty? Why do we hunger for the spiritual, and how do we explain these longings if nothing can exist beyond the material world?
People are impressed by Chuck Norris power
The Tooth fairy can be the answer too
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "leo"
Quote from: "Jackdaw"-How do you explain the high degree of design and order in the universe if there is no God?
Chuck Norris.
Chuck Norris ?
Chuck Norris ?
Chuck norris
So how does Bruce Lee factor into your mythology, there?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

leo

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "leo"
Chuck Norris.
Chuck Norris ?
Chuck Norris ?
Chuck norris
So how does Bruce Lee factor into your mythology, there?
Bruce lee is dead and Chuck Norris is still around . That's saying something. In the reality Bruce lee is better than many Chuck Norris put together.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Mermaid

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"So how does Bruce Lee factor into your mythology, there?
Chuck Norris says: That is BLASPHEMY!
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

And Hijiri, About Bruce Lee....

Do you even know why there are no Bruce Lee jokes?

[spoil:1ivos8k7]Because Bruce Lee IS no joke[/spoil:1ivos8k7]

AT7iLA

The natural world is a system. The sun, soil, and water is needed for plants to grow. Clouds are needed to accumulate water in turn will water the plants. Sun, soil, water and plants are needed to sustain human life in way of oxygen and food such as veggies and fruits. The moon controls the ocean tides. The tides allow the ocean life to be exposed to water and air in very short period of time. This has allowed various organisms to experience both air and water. Everything in nature is there for a purpose.

Quote from: "Jackdaw"- Why is there something instead of nothing?

If nothing existed before the universe and human existence, it would be very hard to believe that the existence of anything would..... exist. Therefore, something infinite must have already existed to cause everything else to exist.

Quote from: "Jackdaw"- What caused the universe to exist?

Read the last answer... Lol. Same answer for this question.

Quote from: "Jackdaw"- What do you think caused the Big Bang?

Science is the knowledge or study of the natural world based on facts learned through observation and experiments or tests that can be repeated over and over. Gravity is a theory, but what makes it a scientific theory is that it can be observed (jump up and down) it can be tested (jump up and down) and can be repeated over and over (jump up and down 30 times). Anything that can not be observed, tested, and repeated is not scientific therefore it would be based on belief. Creation was not observed, can not be tested NOR can it be repeated... Therefore it can not be scientific, it is based on belief and that is why it is a religion... Apply science to big bang......

Quote from: "Jackdaw"- Why do human beings matter?

I have a daughter whom I love very much... She matters... And any parent in the thread can tell you their children matters, otherwise.....

AllPurposeAtheist

Leo is correct. Nearly everyone at some time in their lives will experience dental pain which is no joke. The TOOTH FAIRY put all of existence for your teeth.  Those who floss and brush regularly are doomed to repeat eternal dental torture in the hereafter. Yea I say, let thee teeth rot the natural way, eat sugary things and endure thee life of tooth aches and extractions for eternal bliss with the TOOTH FAIRIES tits.  [-X    :-D
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

rbak923

Quote from: "Jackdaw"-

Was curious about this myself as a Christian who believes in the Big Bang and evolution:

1) Do we know yet whether or not it's impossible to create a universe, like ours, artificially from within another universe or dimension?

2) Could beings that survive for billions of years (either artificially created life forms or biological ones) possibly acquire the technology to create a universe like ours.

Plu

There's no real reason to believe we wouldn't be able to simulate a universe given powerful enough computers, but it would of course by definition be a smaller universe than the one we live in. Whether creatures inside a simulated universe would be able to tell the difference is up for debate.

Shiranu

Bruce Lee isn't dead; he lives inside us all. Bruce Lee is more than a man... he is an idea, a state of mind, a lifestyle.

Wait, what were we talking about again?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "rbak923"
Quote from: "Jackdaw"-

Was curious about this myself as a Christian who believes in the Big Bang and evolution:

1) Do we know yet whether or not it's impossible to create a universe, like ours, artificially from within another universe or dimension?

2) Could beings that survive for billions of years (either artificially created life forms or biological ones) possibly acquire the technology to create a universe like ours.

Who knows, but I like the way you think. Mentioning Christianity and the Big Bang brought this video to mind. I happen to like the idea of space and time being infinite and eternal.

//https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3MWRvLndzs

the2ndcominofjebus

8-)  [-X  :-$  =D>  :-k  :Hangman:  :rollin:

anyways.. just because you feel this need to believe in god doesn't mean it has to be jebus. I mean, just LOOK UP ANYTHING ON HERE.. or on the dreaded google. There isn't a hell.. you have a virus in your mind.. wake up. If you want to believe 90% of society goes to hell, I can no longer respond you. If you really believe you have some chance of making "biblical heaven", you're more insane than me!
"If god doesn\'t like the way I live, let him tell me, not you."

"Give a man a fish, and you\'ll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he\'ll starve to death while praying for a fish."