News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Splitting Rent Fairly

Started by wolf39us, February 16, 2013, 11:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

I would be very worried if I were your roommate and you suggested some sort of arrangement in which you ended up paying more than I did. I would make me feel like I had less of a stake in the apartment than you, less of a say in household decisions, and it would make me feel like I might have less standing to object if you wanted to push me out and have her take over my portion of the apartment in the future.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Aroura33

50/50.  My dad lives in a home where they rent out 5 rooms.  In the case where a couple moves in (childless couples of course), they pay the same rent as a single person.  You and your GF are paying for the living space, which is equal with your other roommate.

As far as utilities go, if you want to pay 2/3 that seems fair, as she will, of course, use up more of that.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

SvZurich

50/50 and only 2 votes between the payees.  You and your girl could break up tomorrow and nothing would change.  Split utilities by the number of parties, but rent is solely between the two on the lease, so 50/50.

Remember, he can get a girl, or you could lose yours.  That randomness should not effect the rent.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Mermaid

Quote from: "SvZurich"50/50 and only 2 votes between the payees.  You and your girl could break up tomorrow and nothing would change.  Split utilities by the number of parties, but rent is solely between the two on the lease, so 50/50.

Remember, he can get a girl, or you could lose yours.  That randomness should not effect the rent.
This is a good point.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: "Icarus"
Quote from: "SGOS"I don't see this a pure mathematical problem.

But, but.... Math! :P
Yeah, I know.  And it is an interesting math problem, for sure.