The Evolution Revolution: Religious or Not, Most Americans A

Started by Gawdzilla Sama, February 13, 2014, 06:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

The Evolution Revolution: Religious or Not, Most Americans Agree It Happened
F

"For the first time, a majority of Hispanic Catholics report they believe in evolution."

"Researchers were also surprised by the growth in the gap between party lines.

They found Republicans are less inclined today than they were in 2009 to say that humans have evolved over time; 43 percent hold the belief today versus 54 percent in 2009. For Democrats there has been little change—67 percent believe humans evolved, versus 64 percent in 2009.

As for the gender gap, the study found men are somewhat more inclined than women to say that humans and animals have evolved over time.  

Education also played a role: College graduates and those with more than a few years of school under their belt were more likely to say humans have evolved over time, the study found."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Plu

Wow, slowly getting out of that third world zone :P You'll get there yet.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Plu"Wow, slowly getting out of that third world zone :P You'll get there yet.
I think killing a few dozen of my relatives might have tipped the scale.  :axe
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Well, that's an improvement over the last few polls I've read which have reflected shocking ignorance for many years.  A few years back I read that 80% believed that man was created less than 10,000 years ago.  Of course, I question polls all the time.  How could 80% be at that level and science even exist in public schools at the same time?  

So I question this poll too.  But generally I would guess that understanding of evolution and anthropology is and will remain at the level somewhere around "appalling."  There's a lot of stupid to go around.  And much of the time, it's an act of pride.  A lot of minds are locked up tight, and stupidity is a closely guarded commodity, with a lot of people seemingly competing to be more stupid than the next guy.

Never underestimate people.  They will surprise you.

Gawdzilla Sama

It's better to curse the people who caused the darkness than to spend good money on candles.

Or something like that.
PZ Myers

Atheon

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"They found Republicans are less inclined today than they were in 2009 to say that humans have evolved over time; 43 percent hold the belief today versus 54 percent in 2009.
As the Republicans move ever rightward, the smarter folks among them are leaving their party.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"It's better to curse the people who caused the darkness than to spend good money on candles.
...or flame throwers.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"It's better to curse the people who caused the darkness than to spend good money on candles.
...or flame throwers.
I already own a flamethrower.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Atheon"
Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"They found Republicans are less inclined today than they were in 2009 to say that humans have evolved over time; 43 percent hold the belief today versus 54 percent in 2009.
As the Republicans move ever rightward, the smarter folks among them are leaving their party.
The Tea Scrotums are stinking up the place.
PZ Myers