News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Kid sister is an atheist

Started by irish, February 08, 2014, 09:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish

My kid sister is an atheist.  She often demands God "come down and prove himself" to her. Does this mean she does believe in a God she is just a waitin' for him to show up or what.  I am Catholic.

Plu

It means she believes in things that can be shown and proven. She'll believe in whatever god shows his face, but until one does I doubt she believes in any of them.

Most atheists would probably consider converting if any gods were to actually show up, since our disbelief stems from lack of evidence, not refusal to accept evidence. If evidence appears, we'll amend our position.

aitm

Quote from: "Plu"Most atheists would probably consider converting if any gods were to actually show up

at this stage however, I would be hard pressed to worship said god, I mean worship as in devoted like. I think I would be way too judgmental on the prick for being such a ....well a prick. The foundation of my "religion" panotheuism is that if humanity were created by god(s) we are more moral, just and benevolent than the creator(s)
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: "irish"My kid sister is an atheist.  She often demands God "come down and prove himself" to her. Does this mean she does believe in a God she is just a waitin' for him to show up or what.  I am Catholic.
I see what you're getting at:  How could she demand something from something she doesn't believe in?  But I don't think she is being literal here.  Like the others have said, she's just saying she would believe if evidence were provided.  Her phrasing is just a way of making the point.

I have often said the same thing, but in the interest of precision, I would alter her words by phrasing it as, "If God exists, why doesn't he come down here and prove himself?"

irish

Quote from: "Plu"It means she believes in things that can be shown and proven. She'll believe in whatever god shows his face, but until one does I doubt she believes in any of them.

Most atheists would probably consider converting if any gods were to actually show up, since our disbelief stems from lack of evidence, not refusal to accept evidence. If evidence appears, we'll amend our position.

Yes that is what she says.  Her disbelief also stems from all the horror and tragedy in the world such as childhood sexual abuse, murder, rape, starving people etc.  Hard to convince one of God with such things.
Irish.

irish

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "Plu"Most atheists would probably consider converting if any gods were to actually show up

at this stage however, I would be hard pressed to worship said god, I mean worship as in devoted like. I think I would be way too judgmental on the prick for being such a ....well a prick. The foundation of my "religion" panotheuism is that if humanity were created by god(s) we are more moral, just and benevolent than the creator(s)

I think people for the most part suck worse than any creator could.
Irish.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "irish"I am Catholic.

Why so guilty?

irish

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "irish"My kid sister is an atheist.  She often demands God "come down and prove himself" to her. Does this mean she does believe in a God she is just a waitin' for him to show up or what.  I am Catholic.
I see what you're getting at:  How could she demand something from something she doesn't believe in?  But I don't think she is being literal here.  Like the others have said, she's just saying she would believe if evidence were provided.  Her phrasing is just a way of making the point.

I have often said the same thing, but in the interest of precision, I would alter her words by phrasing it as, "If God exists, why doesn't he come down here and prove himself?"

Yes but sometimes the words echo the true thoughts.
Irish.

SGOS

Quote from: "irish"
Quote from: "SGOS"

Yes but sometimes the words echo the true thoughts.
Irish.
That's true.  It may be true in your sister's case, but that's not how I interpret her statement.  If she is being literal, and means that she wants a god to prove itself, then she's not an atheist.  But it sounds like a common expression of doubt to me.  I would ask her for clarification.

Plu

Quote from: "Plu"It means she believes in things that can be shown and proven. She'll believe in whatever god shows his face, but until one does I doubt she believes in any of them.

Yes that is what she says.  Her disbelief also stems from all the horror and tragedy in the world such as childhood sexual abuse, murder, rape, starving people etc.  Hard to convince one of God with such things.
Irish.

Yep. The more aware someone is of their surroundings (especially those outside their immediate area) the less likely they are to believe in god.

leo

Welcome ! Religion is bullshit.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

_Xenu_

Irish.
I wouldn't count on that. That sort of stuff tends to lead towards anger towards a fictional deity, not atheism. If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is your point in coming here?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

aitm

Quote from: "aitm"

I think people for the most part suck worse than any creator could.
Irish.

perhaps. Find me a creator who doesn't take credit for killing people for the fuck of it. "our" god wiped out the entire earth for the fuck of it, then created people with diseases and illnesses and then bans them from his grace right off the bat. That is one fucked up god. Most people can be mean to a degree, but only a few can willingly kill off its own "children" for the fuck of it. Meh, I'll take my chances with humans any day......but of course, we have too.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

barbarian

Welcome to AFBB.

Sounds like the catholic atheist. I doubt she will ever follow that religion again even it it turns up later to be that she is agnostic. I do believe that she no longer or will ever believe in god as catholics defined god.

Mermaid

I interpret that as "Psh. I'll believe it when I see it".
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR