News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

OCD, Coincidences, and Faith.

Started by inflection2495, February 06, 2014, 08:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Quote from: "inflection2495"In the comments section, I run into an extremely random 30 week old comment that reads "Why do not you accept Islam??" With it's glorious grammatical errors and all.  

that may be a small clue right there......
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

inflection2495

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "inflection2495"In the comments section, I run into an extremely random 30 week old comment that reads "Why do not you accept Islam??" With it's glorious grammatical errors and all.  

that may be a small clue right there......

I totally agree with you haha! I guess it's not the matter of who and with what motives they posted such a thing, but just that I actually ran into it and that it got my brain to overthink as much as it did/is. And perhaps I just can't wrap my head around that it was just a coincidence and completely random.

viocjit

Hi ! welcome to the forum ! I'm a strong atheist Frenchman from a catholic cafetaria family who live in a Muslims ghetto (they are around of 20-40% and the majority of them are sunni maliki).
Therefore I know that leave Islam is something of really difficult. In my whole life I met more Muslims fundies than Christians fundamentalists.
I would like share with you an anecdote.

I was in school and the cell phone of a fundamentalist sunni maliki muslim did buzzed (the tune was the adhan). Usually teachers say something when the cellular phone of someone did buzzed. But this time the teacher say nothing.

Aroura33

Welcome! Very nice intro post.

As to your question, think about the sheer number of religious people from the moderate to extreme end. Those people all tend to talk about their religion often. Is it really surprising some random Muslim goes around posting in non-religions topics trying to convert or start a religious debate? Not at all.

Don't feel bad though, it is human nature to try to link events together into something meaningful. It is a double edged sword as it causes us to seek answers, but can also cause us to wrongly assume causality. Everyone does this to some extent. The fact that you can recognize when you are doing it means you are 10 steps ahead of most people, even if you still fight it a bit.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

AllPurposeAtheist

Another amazing coincidence that's going to make your brain grow horns.. Buy bull (as in Bull Shit) and Bible are pronounced exactly the same. Coincidence? I think not.  [-(
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

josephpalazzo

The odd thing is you don't notice when there are NO coincidence. In fact, 99.9% of your life  will be spent having no coincidences whatsoever. Yet, your mind is attracted to that 0.1% when it happens. Keep those stats in mind, and you will be fine.

stromboli

Welcome. Obviously have a rational mind and an objective viewpoint. What I've discovered is that if you predisposition yourself to "see" things, you will see them. That feeds into OCD. You have the capability of talking yourself into anything, which is why there are so many religious idiots in the world.

aitm

ah....the gods......wretched bastards eh?  They create us "in their image", demand we do not act in certain ways while displaying those same traits in their treatment of us because we fail to treat them with the respect and reverence they demand. And they do this while all along giving us nothing in return that would suggest they are better than the other gods we are being punished for worshipping who also display the very same indifference to us. Ah fuck em.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: "aitm"ah....the gods......wretched bastards eh?  They create us "in their image", demand we do not act in certain ways while displaying those same traits in their treatment of us because we fail to treat them with the respect and reverence they demand. And they do this while all along giving us nothing in return that would suggest they are better than the other gods we are being punished for worshipping who also display the very same indifference to us. Ah fuck em.

And add to that if you question them you are a sinner as well.

irish

Quote from: "stromboli"Welcome. Obviously have a rational mind and an objective viewpoint. What I've discovered is that if you predisposition yourself to "see" things, you will see them. That feeds into OCD. You have the capability of talking yourself into anything, which is why there are so many religious idiots in the world.

Only a fool believes there is no God.
Irish.
There a lot of atheist idiots in the world as well.  They stand around spending time and energy demanding that there is a God be proven to them.

leo

Quote from: "irish"
Quote from: "stromboli"Welcome. Obviously have a rational mind and an objective viewpoint. What I've discovered is that if you predisposition yourself to "see" things, you will see them. That feeds into OCD. You have the capability of talking yourself into anything, which is why there are so many religious idiots in the world.

Irish.
There a lot of atheist idiots in the world as well.  They stand around spending time and energy demanding that there is a God be proven to them.
You are the one wasting time in this site. Nobody will buy your bullshit . By the way kudos for your post. Very funny   :-D
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

stromboli

QuoteOnly a fool believes there is no God.
Irish.
There a lot of atheist idiots in the world as well. They stand around spending time and energy demanding that there is a God be proven to them.

See this is easy, Irish. All you have to do is prove there is a god and the argument is over. No one has been able to do that throughout history, so we aren't expecting anything from you.

And people like Stephen Hawking, Carl Sagan and Richard Dawkins aren't idiots or fools.

And you are spending time and energy hanging out here and calling us idiots.

leo

Quote from: "stromboli"
QuoteOnly a fool believes there is no God.
Irish.
There a lot of atheist idiots in the world as well. They stand around spending time and energy demanding that there is a God be proven to them.

See this is easy, Irish. All you have to do is prove there is a god and the argument is over. No one has been able to do that throughout history, so we aren't expecting anything from you.

And people like Stephen Hawking, Carl Sagan and Richard Dawkins aren't idiots or fools.

And you are spending time and energy hanging out here and calling us idiots.
He must  prove his god and his religion are the real thing. Good luck with that.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

irish

Quote from: "leo"
Quote from: "irish"

Irish.
You are the one wasting time in this site. Nobody will buy your bullshit . By the way kudos for your post. Very funny   :-D

I am here to learn about atheists by reading this site because I have a sister who is an atheist.  I don't waste time trying to prove there is a God to persons as such as yourselves with hardened hearts.
So far, whine and complain, talk about drugs and being gay.  No wonder.
Irish.

Moriarty

Talk about doing drugs and/or being gay? Do you not see that you're killing your own supposed points? Your morality (likely religiously based) cannot be pushed onto others. In the religious world "doing drugs" and/or "Being gay" are wrong, in reality they're life choices not bound by your subjective ethic and moral rational.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.