News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Liberals loooooovvvee Islam

Started by Jorjor, October 07, 2013, 03:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmpty

Quote from: "sab"
Quote from: "Jmpty"Wow. All Muslims do that? I had no idea.
I', sure that makes you feel very clever but the reality is ..pretty much yes.

When I say Muslims I don;t mean 'people of descent from Muslim countries I mean people  who profess Islam. In a recent poll in the UK every Muslim said they thought that Homosexuality was morally wrong. Yes I am sure that you could find Muslims who claim to beleive othewrise -especially if they are politicians but as a Group Muslims in the Uk are a backwards oppressive force.

I am from a Christian background but I am certainly not a Christian.

Wow. You are much more stupid than I thought, and I already had a pretty low opinion of you.
???  ??

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "frosty"It is a leap of faith in itself to assume that Atheists are logical just because they refer to themselves as Atheists. Human beings tend to hang on to any type of dogma they can, and there is no evidence to suggest that just because an Atheist sheds religious dogma they will not move on to dogma of another kind.

No, it has nothing to do with faith.  It was instead a warrantless assumption, and no faith was involved in making it.  

Thanks for trying to help, though.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "sab"So Logical must mean "give special treatment to anyone who isn't white according to the ideology of multiculturalism?

On the assumption this is directed at me, no, that's not what I said at all.  

Sure makes for a nice straw-man, though.

Logical, in this context, means "applying reason to an issue, rather than succumbing to fallacious thinking."

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"More like evidence that you are not immune to making the same sort of error when the topic is atheists. You've had your stereotype of us dinged and now you're mad because we didn't all match your expectations. I hesitate to presume the irony is unconscious?

"Mad"? Not hardly.  Disappointed, in myself for succumbing to assumptions, and in the paucity of critical thinking present in this thread. That's okay, I'll live.

I'm not sure why you think I'm angry, though.

frosty

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "frosty"It is a leap of faith in itself to assume that Atheists are logical just because they refer to themselves as Atheists. Human beings tend to hang on to any type of dogma they can, and there is no evidence to suggest that just because an Atheist sheds religious dogma they will not move on to dogma of another kind.

No, it has nothing to do with faith.  It was instead a warrantless assumption, and no faith was involved in making it.  

Thanks for trying to help, though.

A leap of faith in the sense that you are trusting that a certain type of people will meet your preconceived expectations of how they should be without actually knowing every single one of them. Obviously, this time they did not according to you. "Faith" has other definitions instead of one strict meaning pertaining to religion. But you certainly know what you think better than I do so as long as everything is straightened out then I guess everything is good.

And I sure hope you don't think that me denying that Muslims are a race constitutes part of your disappointment. I have no proof you think that so far at all, but if anybody at all thinks that than they are the ones in need of a lesson in logic.

sab

Quote from: "Jmpty"
Quote from: "sab"
Quote from: "Jmpty"Wow. All Muslims do that? I had no idea.
I', sure that makes you feel very clever but the reality is ..pretty much yes.

When I say Muslims I don;t mean 'people of descent from Muslim countries I mean people  who profess Islam. In a recent poll in the UK every Muslim said they thought that Homosexuality was morally wrong. Yes I am sure that you could find Muslims who claim to beleive othewrise -especially if they are politicians but as a Group Muslims in the Uk are a backwards oppressive force.

I am from a Christian background but I am certainly not a Christian.

Wow. You are much more stupid than I thought, and I already had a pretty low opinion of you.

What a  great argument!  :rollin:

Jmpty

Wow. You are much more stupid than I thought, and I already had a pretty low opinion of you.[/quote]

What a  great argument!  :rollin:[/quote]

It's not an argument, it's an opinion. I have known, and called friend, many Muslims over the years, from Iran, Pakistan, and Somalia, to name a few. None of them tried to kill me, or convert me, or change me in any way. They are just people trying to live their lives, just like the vast majority of Christians. My opinions regarding Muslims are based on personal experience, how about yours?
???  ??

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Mister Agenda"More like evidence that you are not immune to making the same sort of error when the topic is atheists. You've had your stereotype of us dinged and now you're mad because we didn't all match your expectations. I hesitate to presume the irony is unconscious?

"Mad"? Not hardly.  Disappointed, in myself for succumbing to assumptions, and in the paucity of critical thinking present in this thread. That's okay, I'll live.

I'm not sure why you think I'm angry, though.

I did leave an out for you to reveal you were making some kind of point by being ironic. Lacking that, your level of whining seems a little high for mild disappointment. I'll take your word that this is your normal level, though.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "frosty"A leap of faith in the sense that you are trusting that a certain type of people will meet your preconceived expectations of how they should be without actually knowing every single one of them. Obviously, this time they did not according to you. "Faith" has other definitions instead of one strict meaning pertaining to religion. But you certainly know what you think better than I do so as long as everything is straightened out then I guess everything is good.

It's cool.  In a discussion about religion, the context lends the word "faith" a specific connotation, one that I don't feel.  I had and have no faith that atheists are inherently more rational, but rather, it's been my experience that they tend to be.  Obviously a generalization, the shortcomings of which are plainly apparent here.

Quote from: "frosty"And I sure hope you don't think that me denying that Muslims are a race constitutes part of your disappointment. I have no proof you think that so far at all, but if anybody at all thinks that than they are the ones in need of a lesson in logic.

No, I agree with your point, completely.

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"I did leave an out for you to reveal you were making some kind of point by being ironic. Lacking that, your level of whining seems a little high for mild disappointment. I'll take your word that this is your normal level, though.

Interesting stuff. I wasn't being ironic, but as I said, fell victim to my own generalization. I'm the kind of person who admits my mistakes, y'know?  

I understand earnestness doesn't go over well online, and that there are plenty who like to flog someone for admitting  an error,for whatever reasons they have of their own.

I'm not sure why you think admitting this mistake is "whining". I'll do you the favor of not imputing this or that emotion to your posts  here, though.

VladK

Quote from: "Jorjor"I can't be the only one annoyed by this. As a liberal myself, I'm of at a loss as to why liberals(particularly liberal theists) are so quick to jump to the defense of islam. Especially considering islam is the farthest thing from "liberal"(anti-women, anti-gay, anti-free speech, anti-tolerance for non-muslims)

We love to bash on Christianity, as we should be doing, don't get me wrong.  Yet, no one can criticize islam without being labeled an "islamaphobic" bigot  :roll:  Why??

There are a wide range of possible explanations from plausible to conspiratorial. It would be unfair to say all the left, but I think the extreme far left certainly hates the west, it sees it as imperialistic, capitalistic, and sides with anyone who could be its enemy and challenge it. I honestly think that is the case with Galloway or Chomsky or some of the folks over at the Atheism+ forum. They're loonie toons. Any conflict with Islam, blame the west. Terrorism and 9/11? Blame western imperialism and ignore the doctrine of jihad completely. Iranian Sharia regime? Western imperialism. I think these people are malicious, they can't possibly be this one-sided and have so much venom for the civilization that protects their right to speak their minds. Chomsky is certainly not a stupid person, he's just an ideologue with an agenda.

A lot of people on the left have a warped view of things. They often view issues through the lens of privileged vs. under-privileged, powerful vs. powerless rather than just take a cold hard look at what is right or wrong. They see Christianity as privileged and Islam as persecuted and under-privileged (also a lot of Muslims tend to be non-white), so naturally they soften up on Islam and willfully ignore its illiberal nature. I think they're naive and useful idiots. Take for example the progressive Majority Report. I doubt they would have Pat Robertson on, but they had no problem having Reza Aslan on, the guy is a lying apologist. At least Pat never called for a "third intifada" on twitter.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Atheon

Quote from: "VladK"A lot of people on the left have a warped view of things. They often view issues through the lens of privileged vs. under-privileged, powerful vs. powerless rather than just take a cold hard look at what is right or wrong. They see Christianity as privileged and Islam as persecuted and under-privileged (also a lot of Muslims tend to be non-white), so naturally they soften up on Islam and willfully ignore its illiberal nature. I think they're naive and useful idiots. Take for example the progressive Majority Report. I doubt they would have Pat Robertson on, but they had no problem having Reza Aslan on, the guy is a lying apologist. At least Pat never called for a "third intifada" on twitter.
:roll:

Keep believing what Fox and Limbaugh feed you, and see how it works out for you.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "Shiranu"For the love of...

Well-put.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

FrankDK

>  I doubt they would have Pat Robertson on...

I suspect Rachel Maddow would love to have Pat Robertson on.  She'd destroy him.

Frank

VladK

Quote from: "Atheon"
Quote from: "VladK"A lot of people on the left have a warped view of things. They often view issues through the lens of privileged vs. under-privileged, powerful vs. powerless rather than just take a cold hard look at what is right or wrong. They see Christianity as privileged and Islam as persecuted and under-privileged (also a lot of Muslims tend to be non-white), so naturally they soften up on Islam and willfully ignore its illiberal nature. I think they're naive and useful idiots. Take for example the progressive Majority Report. I doubt they would have Pat Robertson on, but they had no problem having Reza Aslan on, the guy is a lying apologist. At least Pat never called for a "third intifada" on twitter.
:roll:

Keep believing what Fox and Limbaugh feed you, and see how it works out for you.

https://twitter.com/rezaaslan/status/306164094132682752

So much for moderate Reza.