What's a heliocentric replacement for "Sunrise/sunset"?

Started by zarus tathra, January 17, 2014, 04:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

Sunrise and sunset are obviously outdated terms that are even more primitive than simple geocentrism, which at least posits a round earth. What's a more heliocentric version of this terminology? "First penumbra/second penumbra?"
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "zarus tathra"Sunrise and sunset are obviously outdated terms that are even more primitive than simple geocentrism, which at least posits a round earth. What's a more heliocentric version of this terminology? "First penumbra/second penumbra?"
I didn't realize they are outdated terms...

If first penumbra second penumbra are going to start being used, I'll just stick with sunrise and sunset. They are less syllables.

zarus tathra

The sun doesn't rise and fall, in case you were wondering.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

stromboli

I'm with pickelled.

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days
Seedling turn overnight to sunflowers
blossoming even as we gaze

First penumbra, second penumbra
rhyme scheme that one, you unromantic twit.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "stromboli"I'm with pickelled.

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days
Seedling turn overnight to sunflowers
blossoming even as we gaze

rhyme scheme that one, you unromantic twit.
Damned you Stromboli! I was gonna make the Fidler on the Roof reference.. :x
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Insult to Rocks

Semantics. It really doesn't matter what we call it, as long as we understand how and why it is what it is.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

The Skeletal Atheist

Echoing the general mood here: why does it matter? We don't need to update terms if we all know what it's refering to. There's no confusion about the Earth going around the sun so the idea doesn't need reinforced through new terms, the old terms work fine and are universally accepted, why fuck with it?
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh STOP, the earth is flat and held up by pillars. The sun is made fresh every morning and put out every night. Don't try that "science" shit around here!  :evil:  :rolleyes:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: "zarus tathra"Sunrise and sunset are obviously outdated terms that are even more primitive than simple geocentrism, which at least posits a round earth. What's a more heliocentric version of this terminology? "First penumbra/second penumbra?"
Do you use the phrase (yes, it's a phrase) goodbye?  How about gyp?  Or sinister?

Youssuf Ramadan

Dawn and dusk?  If it matters that much to you.....  8-[

the_antithesis

My suggestions are "Shit! I'm late for work!" and "I'm gonna get hammered."

Johan

Quote from: "zarus tathra"The sun doesn't rise and fall, in case you were wondering.
If you really want to push for more accurate names of common things, probably better to go after the low hanging fruit first. For instance while the sun does appear to rise and set even though its not moving, you will almost never find a pair of gloves in the glove compartment of any car on the road today. And hot dogs? Not made from dogs. Dildos contain neither dill nor dough. I could go on, but you get the idea.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Oh STOP, the earth is flat and held up by pillars. The sun is made fresh every morning and put out every night. Don't try that "science" shit around here!  :evil:  :rolleyes: