News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Bruno Mars Suprised Me

Started by mykcob4, February 03, 2014, 11:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mykcob4

I watched the Super Bowl with little interest. I was disappointed in the commercials and anticipated an even greater disappointment in the halftime show. Man was I surprised! Mars was fantastic. Musically he brought skill and creativity to the show. Probably because I am 56 and probably because Mars went "oldschool" is the reason I enjoyed it so much. I even enjoyed the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which I can usually do without. I have heard some of Bruno Mars' songs before and never cared for them because they were always nothing more than self-entitled sexual garbage. You know, rap beats with phrases like "I'm the best....etc! But his halftime show was a great  even inspiring music medley of upbeat ballads and iconic hits. The mix of Funk and Motown Soul with modern pop (almost Michael Jackson like) was refreshing. His dance tribute to James Brown was entertaining as well albeit a short one. I have a new found respect for Bruno Mars that I never expected to happen.

Hijiri Byakuren

I suspect a lot of artists like him are actually quite good, but are required by the big corporations of the music industry to turn out trash that they know will sell. Great artists like Joe Satriani are still doing albums and concerts, but you don't exactly see their stuff flying off the shelves. That's just how things are, because that's how consumerism works: if shit sells, you make more shit.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Oh a Satriani fan. Haven't heard that name in a long time. :)
My father's a fan of him. I've just heard enough to know he's good.

AllPurposeAtheist

I was disappointed there wasn't an inadvertent titty. :evil:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"I suspect a lot of artists like him are actually quite good, but are required by the big corporations of the music industry to turn out trash that they know will sell. Great artists like Joe Satriani are still doing albums and concerts, but you don't exactly see their stuff flying off the shelves. That's just how things are, because that's how consumerism works: if shit sells, you make more shit.
I hate the fact that art is sold in a way that the lowest common denominator dictates the product.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"I suspect a lot of artists like him are actually quite good, but are required by the big corporations of the music industry to turn out trash that they know will sell. Great artists like Joe Satriani are still doing albums and concerts, but you don't exactly see their stuff flying off the shelves. That's just how things are, because that's how consumerism works: if shit sells, you make more shit.
I hate the fact that art is sold in a way that the lowest common denominator dictates the product.
If it were limited to art, the world would be a much nicer place to live in.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shiranu"I actually kinda like Bruno
After seeing him really display his talent I do too.

josephpalazzo

At the age of 5, he was imitating Elvis, courtesy of his uncle who made a living as an Elvis impersonator. Bruno was then nicknamed "little Elvis". It's not surprising that his music and stage performance contain heavy influences from the 50's and 60's.

Plu

Quote from: "mykcob4"

Welcome to capitalism.

Fidel_Castronaut

Probably shouldn't have turned your back on him.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

PickelledEggs

If Satch got up there and played Summer Song or Crystal Planet, it think it would have been a much more exciting half time show. Bruno Mars wasn't a bad choice though. He's mainstream, but not a pain in the ears like the people they get for the other halftime shows. I enjoyed it.