News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Abrahamic Henotheism

Started by Rex Rgis Verum, January 20, 2014, 02:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Rgis Verum

I'm guessing that the Babylonian exile proved a major turning point for Jews as Judaism transformed from a henotheistic religion to a monotheistic religion via Zoroastrian influence. I don't understand how these major world religions (Judaism and Christianity) can claim monotheism when the Tanakh/Old Testament clearly states that there is the existence of other gods and archaeology that gives evidence of Yahweh heading a pantheon of gods that included Asherah, Baal, and El, among others, but that their god (Yahweh) is the only one to be worshipped. And Yahweh was eventually merged with El into one supreme deity that also took on the rest of the traits and powers of the other gods. Christians have this intricate holy trinity bullshit idea, and some Catholics worship the Virgin Mary, yet Christians claim monotheism even though many exalt certain biblical figures to god(dess)hood. Even Allah was originally a hierarchical god in Mesopotamia and pre-Islamic Arabia. And Islam's holiest site--the Kaaba--was desecrated by a multitude of false idols, yet Muhammad thought it was clean enough to use as an Islamic site. Technically, the Abrahamic religions can trace their roots back to polytheism.

And these fuckers have the audacity to claim there are no faults in their religions' monotheistic claims and holy books even though they contain shit scientific claims as well as unbelievable historical events. :roll:
Why anyone would desire eternal life is beyond me. There's no fun in forever.

stromboli

(Stromboli looks up "henotheism" on Google, rips his degree in English Literature degree off the wall and throws it in the trash) Uh, yeah. I need to go back to bed now.   :cry:

Krisyork2008

I brought that up to my friend once when he was preaching the goodness of the Virgin Mary to me, worshipping her after I talked some shit to him about her. What about false idolatry, asshole? People are such flakes. "Father, son, holy spirit." that's three fucking gods. They're not all part of the same being, that's just stupid, and if it were the case it would have been stated and explained.

Jesus was god's son, not god himself. Was Thor also Odin? Was Heracles also Zeus? Of course not, that's ridiculous. Their gods had personalities that were accepted. Christians are afraid to give their gods personalities, but to me it seems there's the good cop, (Jesus), bad cop, (Yahweh), and the detective behind the glass, (holy spirit.)
Quote from: \"sweetjesus\"you cant push a dog into a pond and it turn into a fish-- evolution is rong. Why we still got monkeys?"?
Quote from: \"GurrenLagann\"Can\'t handle criticism? Find another species. \":)\"
"The catholic church is not a force for good, and fuck you for saying so." - Matt Dillahunty
"The holy spirit can\'t hold a pen." -Russel Brand

Insult to Rocks

I'm with Krisyork on this one. I used to be Catholic, and we worshiped three gods that were all one God. I don't know how the fuck that works, and I don't think Catholics do either.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Rex Rgis Verum

Quote from: "Krisyork2008"I brought that up to my friend once when he was preaching the goodness of the Virgin Mary to me, worshipping her after I talked some shit to him about her. What about false idolatry, asshole? People are such flakes. "Father, son, holy spirit." that's three fucking gods. They're not all part of the same being, that's just stupid, and if it were the case it would have been stated and explained.

Jesus was god's son, not god himself. Was Thor also Odin? Was Heracles also Zeus? Of course not, that's ridiculous. Their gods had personalities that were accepted. Christians are afraid to give their gods personalities, but to me it seems there's the good cop, (Jesus), bad cop, (Yahweh), and the detective behind the glass, (holy spirit.)

=D> Very true.

barbarian

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"I'm with Krisyork on this one. I used to be Catholic, and we worshiped three gods that were all one God. I don't know how the fuck that works, and I don't think Catholics do either.

Here is how the trinity pretty much has been explained to me, not exactly, but close.

QuoteIn order to possess all the characteristics and the nature of what god is, you have to find harmony in the trinity in life. The trinity consists of three characteristics, spirit, human, and god. This is the purpose of our individual lives because it is what dour spirits need and it is also something that we should want. The good things we should be known for in life are the same things that our spirit needs in order to progress through the trinity.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htm

La Dolce Vita

The ancient jews were often not Henotheistic. For example, archaeologists have found temples dedicated to Asherah. Though they had Yahweh as "their" deity, he was clearly not the only one (all the tribes) worshipped. That didn't come until much later, when a specific king (I forget who) thought up that worship of the other gods should be forbidden.

Rex Rgis Verum

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"The ancient jews were often not Henotheistic. For example, archaeologists have found temples dedicated to Asherah. Though they had Yahweh as "their" deity, he was clearly not the only one (all the tribes) worshipped. That didn't come until much later, when a specific king (I forget who) thought up that worship of the other gods should be forbidden.

I believe it was Hezekiah that tried to instate monotheism, but his successor went back to the old ways of polytheism (wow, kind of sounds like what happened with Akhenaten), and later on Josiah made sure Judaism remained monotheistic.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Rex Rgis Verum"Even Allah was originally a hierarchical god in Mesopotamia and pre-Islamic Arabia. And Islam's holiest site--the Kaaba--was desecrated by a multitude of false idols, yet Muhammad thought it was clean enough to use as an Islamic site. Technically, the Abrahamic religions can trace their roots back to polytheism.

Yep.  Mohammed had a tough time trying to get his monotheistic ball rolling with the locals at first.  As it happens, the pre-Islamic Allah (moon god, god of rain and earth blah blah..) had 3 daughters - al-Lat, al-Uzza and Manat.  Mohammed suggested that they should also worship the female trinity of daughters, adding a verse to the Quran to command muslims to do this, and this was received without challenge, being a familiar idea.  Mohammed later retracted this verse and repented over this 'error', claiming that he had received another revelation from Allah claiming that the verse should be removed and that Mohammed had been tricked by Satan into adding this verse.  Shame the omniscient Allah didn't see this coming in the first place...  :roll:

Quote from: "Rex Rgis Verum"And these fuckers have the audacity to claim there are no faults in their religions' monotheistic claims and holy books even though they contain shit scientific claims as well as unbelievable historical events. :roll:

Cognitive dissonance is alive and well.  People see what they want to see, and this is compounded in societies where one's religiosity is judged every day by one's peers, with the threat of beatings and stonings as an incentive.  

Islam is a composite of Judaism, Christianity, Zoroastrianism, other Arab paganism etc.  No great surprise when you consider pre-Islamic Mecca as a great trading place and cultural melting pot - Arabia was crying out for the certainty of 'monotheistic' religion, and Mohammed used what he saw around him to make it happen, even if it took a while.

Indiscriminalist

Catholics don't worship the VM, they pray to her to ask their gawd to intercede on their behalf. Pretty damn stoopid if you ask me, a former Catholic.
What if you're wrong about the great juju at the bottom of the sea?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"I'm with Krisyork on this one. I used to be Catholic, and we worshiped three gods that were all one God. I don't know how the fuck that works, and I don't think Catholics do either.

Someone told me once that just like steam, water and ice were all H20, so it is with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"

Someone told me once that just like steam, water and ice were all H20, so it is with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Does it need to be 4 degrees C for daddy, junior and the spook to exist at the same time?   :-k  :lol: