News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Apartment Hunting Sucks! (Image Heavy)

Started by wolf39us, January 12, 2014, 07:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

Okay so this is a Part 2: The Journey.

Boy, trying to balance money w/ living somewhere half way decent poses a challenge.  I have been looking and looking and have upped my limits after I realized that $650/month doesn't get you shit normally.  I originally found a place that looked at least half way decent for $667... but after doing some reviews, I've found crime to be a problem in this particular complex and given that I have pretty nice vehicles, I opted out of such a place.

Here's some pics of that one:

So very plain Jane apartment but w/e... it just Myself and my girlfriend w/ no pets.

After ditching the above apartment we decided to go a bit more upscale and came across this one

Two bedroom Two bath in an amazing area and extremely close to the beach @ $800/month

http://goo.gl/maps/upZbW

So after coming across this one, I was about to give her money but then she informed me that she doesn't "believe" the HOA allows scooters (motorcycles), but she will look into it.  FUCK!  I really like this place and now I have to keep looking.

With our deadline drawing near, things get a little more stressful as we are pressured to just pick one.  Well this should be fun, I'll keep you guys updated!

wolf39us

Additional thoughts...

What is with people posting apartments with NO PICTURES... Seriosuly!??

Solitary

Good luck! Been through that when younger with a family. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GrinningYMIR

I've lived in the same place for most of my life now, and I'm too broke to afford my own place for at least 6 years.

But, if you get super stumped just watch house hunters

I hate that show but it does help
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

wolf39us

I'm only looking to rent -- I'm not sure if house hunters does rents or just mortgages... but I'll look into it!

AllPurposeAtheist

Jeeez wolfe.. You sound like my dad years ago. He was so afraid of 'crime' in any given neighborhood and was kinda paranoid I'm surprised he didn't turn the houses we lived in into armed fortresses. Luckily my mom has some sense and made him realize there really isn't a boogie man hiding behind every bush and tree. If it makes you feel any better there really are bad people in the world.  :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "wolf39us"I'm only looking to rent -- I'm not sure if house hunters does rents or just mortgages... but I'll look into it!

Most of the time it's a buy thing, but it does cover renting and mortgages occasionally.

I hope it helps!
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

wolf39us

I doubt I'm as bad as your dad bro lol.  I'm aware that there is crime everywhere, but I'm not going to place myself into an area where crime is a serious problem.  You will not catch me living in a ghetto or anywhere else that I feel unsafe in.  I used to live outside of New Haven and Bridgeport, CT... I wouldn't willingly place myself in either of these towns either!

AllPurposeAtheist

You COULD take a room at the Y.. For about $385 mo you get a room just slightly bigger than a jail cell.  :-$  I almost have enough room for my guitar.  :-$

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Jeeez wolfe.. You sound like my dad years ago. He was so afraid of 'crime' in any given neighborhood and was kinda paranoid I'm surprised he didn't turn the houses we lived in into armed fortresses. Luckily my mom has some sense and made him realize there really isn't a boogie man hiding behind every bush and tree. If it makes you feel any better there really are bad people in the world.  :lol:
I think its a legit concern. I won't live in an area with gangs running around everywhere either. and while its true you can be a victim anywhere, it's also true that high crime areas increase the likelihood of being a victim.  

I share Wolfs frustrations. I'll be moving in april and it seems my options are, live near gangs and methheads, and have to sleep with a gun at my pillow, keep going broke, or move back to oklahoma and be surrounded by teabaggers.

I've come to the conclusion that for the poor, we have to live where nobody else in their right mind would want to. its kinda like why people take greyhound. they literally have no other options to take.

it really sucks.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

AllPurposeAtheist

Funny thing is growing up in lily white suburban Amurka our place was broken into multiple times. As an adult living in crime infested cities I've never been broken into.
Maybe it's the permanent scowl on my face when I go out that scares em off.  :twisted:

wolf39us

It's all a matter of probability.  In a good neighborhood you have a lower chance of crime.  In a bad neighborhood you have a higher chance.  I for one lived in a middle-class white town growing up and never once had come across any crime committed against us personally.

I moved to a lower class neighborhood and in a matter of weeks my radio and subwoofer were stolen out of my car.  Then my friend about 1 minute from my house had all of his tires slashed and his top slashed.  The crime rate in the local area was horrible (hence why I left the minute I could).

There was my taste of living near the low class, ghetto-ass hoodlums... No thanks!

Johan

Quote from: "wolf39us"I'm only looking to rent -- I'm not sure if house hunters does rents or just mortgages... but I'll look into it!
Is there a reason you want to pay someone else's mortgage for them instead of your own?

BTW, house hunters is an interesting show. But it lost some of its appeal for me after I found out how they actually do the show. I won't mention it here as I don't want to spoil it for any fans. But suffice it to say things are not as they are presented on the show.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

wolf39us

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "wolf39us"I'm only looking to rent --
Is there a reason you want to pay someone else's mortgage for them instead of your own?

Yes, because I enjoy convenience.  And for me it's convenient to have to only pay rent and not worry about things like taxes, maintenance, other mortgage related fees.  Not to mention I am not one to stay at one place for long.

Also, I don't like to gamble... taking out a mortgage for someone who likes to move around is a gamble on the housing markets.

Solitary

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"You COULD take a room at the Y.. For about $385 mo you get a room just slightly bigger than a jail cell.  :-$  I almost have enough room for my guitar.  :-$

You aren't Charles Manson by chance are you?  :shock:  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.