News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

General protocols for life

Started by zarus tathra, December 31, 2013, 06:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mykcob4

Alright heres the rub.
Many people want to blame Obama for things he cannot change and didn't do in the first place. I call that cynical. It doesn't mean that I consider Obama my messiah or god. That is just nonsense. I don't choose a side or gang and root for that side no matter what. To say so is a lie and just wrong. It is a strawman arguement. That is all I'm going to say about it.
As for this thread and the theme of it heres a bit of sound advice.
When someone makes a general statement DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL!

zarus tathra

Don't seek out pity. Pity is generally an acknowledgment that you can't help somebody. For example, when I went to a mechanic today, the lady at the desk showed sympathy to a guy talking about an acquaintance's cancer diagnosis, but when it came to dealing with my problem, she was all business. Conversely, you don't want your doctor's reaction to complaints about health problems to be "Oh that's too bad. I'm so sorry."

From an emotional POV, it makes sense to seek out sympathy, but if all you care about is sympathy, ultimately, you will fail, because open expressions of sympathy correlate very well with an inability to deal with any given problem. To seek pity is to seek failure.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

stromboli

Afford people as much attention as they deserve. If they don't deserve it, don't give it.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "zarus tathra"Let's come up with some secular "life tips."

Drink 3+ liters of water per day.
:-s

Don't worry. It's not true. Studies show you should drink when, get this, you're thirsty.

stromboli

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "zarus tathra"Let's come up with some secular "life tips."

Drink 3+ liters of water per day.
:-s

Don't worry. It's not true. Studies show you should drink when, get this, you're thirsty.

Thank you. I was going to bring that up. =D>

Insult to Rocks

Here's one: realizing that, in the grand scheme of things, you're not all that special, and that helping others in need matters far more than whether or not your sports car has leather seats.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken