Texas law makes a dead woman's corpse carry fetus to term

Started by aileron, December 31, 2013, 02:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aileron

Let's pass a law saying that a hospital can't withdraw life support from a pregnant woman... What could possibly go wrong with that?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pport.html
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Shiranu

"Abortions are terrible, how could you possibly take this poor child's life? Every fetus is sacred!"

"...............unless the mother is on life support, in which case who really gives a shit about the fetus?"

Good to see conservative lawmakers are staying consistent on their moral outrage over the "murder" of unborn children. Oh, wait...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

The Skeletal Atheist

I'm sort of morbidly curious as to how the kid would even turn out. From the article it says the mom was without oxygen for about an hour, so I wonder if the kid would be able to recover from such, or would he/she be mentally retarded provided he/she even lived at all.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Plu

Quote from: "Shiranu""Abortions are terrible, how could you possibly take this poor child's life? Every fetus is sacred!"

"...............unless the mother is on life support, in which case who really gives a shit about the fetus?"

Good to see conservative lawmakers are staying consistent on their moral outrage over the "murder" of unborn children. Oh, wait...

This does not seem to connect with the article? In the article they are consistent in this moral outrage... it's the parents who want to take her off life support and end the fetus' life with the mother's. The conservatives are trying to keep the fetus alive despite this.

Jason78

Quote from: "Plu"it's the parents who want to take her off life support and end the fetus' life with the mother's.

Marlise was a paramedic with a DNR and a living will.  She's the one that wants to be off life support.  Probably because she's seen what oxygen deprivation does to the patients she has resuscitated.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

Uh, yeah you're right. The mother wanted this and the husband/parents are supporting her wishes.

aileron

"Life support" in the title of the article is very misleading.  The woman is not in a coma or persistent vegetative state.  She's dead, medically and legally.

Her whole brain, including the brain stem is dead.  There's no way to prevent the deterioration of bodily functions in a brain dead person.  Although it's possible to sustain her body's heartbeat by oxygenating the blood with a ventilator and giving medications to regulate things that the brain stem and other parts of the brain regulate (blood pressure, temperature, etc, etc), her body functions have already started irreversibly deteriorating no matter what they do.

There is one case where a brain-dead woman's body was kept artificially functioning about as long as this case would take, but it's highly immoral of the state to force a dead woman's body to sustain a pregnancy unnaturally against the wishes of the family.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

stromboli

Every time I think how fucked up Utah is, somebody posts something about Texas. Wow. Texas isn't a state, it's a state of insanity.

Plu

Quote from: "aileron""Life support" in the title of the article is very misleading.  The woman is not in a coma or persistent vegetative state.  She's dead, medically and legally.

And this just adds a few more layers of wrong. There is indeed quite a difference between life-support and pumping blood through a carcass...

stromboli

Aand just who is paying the hospital bills? A one day stay in the hospital for my wife, even with good insurance, netted me an $900.00 bill, not counting labs, xrays, etc. Whoever came up with this law should be publicly stripped, beaten and spat upon by every person available.

mykcob4

Quote from: "aileron"Let's pass a law saying that a hospital can't withdraw life support from a pregnant woman... What could possibly go wrong with that?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pport.html
It just illustrates the complete idoicy of Texas and elected officials here.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hijiri Byakuren

Every now and again, I come to believe I have no faith in humanity left to lose. And then Texas makes the news.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Insult to Rocks

Texas.... we meet again I see. Just how much misery are you willing to cause before you admit that you were wrong? This level of depravity and inhumanity is repulsive.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken