News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheism in games

Started by Insult to Rocks, December 29, 2013, 01:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Bioshock Infinite wasn't mentioned yet, really? The entire game is basically a f.u. to he corrupt history of the church in America and the xenophobia, racism and elitism it promoted in American history.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sal1981

In RuneScape, a god of balance called Guthix put up a barrier around the players world Gielinor (the main realm) to prevent other war-like gods from interfering with the inhabitants of Gielinor. These Edicts of Guthix hold the peace for thousands of years until a Majarrat called Sliske murders Guthix in a quest, The World Wakes. The Edicts of Guthix are broken and the other gods, that were held out by Guthix, return. This marks the end of the 5th Age of Gielinor.

Anyways, all the gods had followers and those who followed Guthix broke off and formed The Godless. In the game you can choose between 8 factions, where The Godless is one of them.

This is the origin story up to the 5th Age:
[youtube:3nr92q10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB88piitm9o[/youtube:3nr92q10]

Insult to Rocks

Since I can't believe no-one has mentioned this yet: In Shin-Megami Tensai 2, you get to kill Yahweh if you so wish....
Man, I really have to get this game. :twisted:
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Alloy Crow

Fallout 3 (or 4 don't remember) has this "church of atom" and they pray to an atomic bomb that didn't explode, the radiation of the bomb has some effects on them mentally, so they keep worshiping the bomb :P. I think they feel good because of the radiation or they have mental problems because of it, one of those, or both don't remember.
Fry: All in all, I've led a full life. Let's say the three of us grab a six-pack and watch the universe end?
Prof. Farnsworth: Hear, hear!
Bender: That's basically what I do every day.

ESL above, please be patient ;)

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "Alloy Crow"Fallout 3 (or 4 don't remember) has this "church of atom" and they pray to an atomic bomb that didn't explode, the radiation of the bomb has some effects on them mentally, so they keep worshiping the bomb :P. I think they feel good because of the radiation or they have mental problems because of it, one of those, or both don't remember.
That would be 3, as 4 doesn't currently exist.  :(
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

GrinningYMIR

I do remember one thing from Everquest, you take different gods in order to get different diplomatic perks, and there was both agnostic and atheist as options. Agnostic out you on a neutral basis, and atheist got you hated by everyone

Just like real life!
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Shol'va

Quote from: "Insult to rocks"Those crazy space scientologists and their death wishes.

Altman be praised.
I know why you wrote space scientologists, quite a fitting description, but for those that haven't played the game, the actual name of the religious views portrayed is unitology. And personally, every time I think of unitarians, I think unitologists.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "Shol'va"
Quote from: "Insult to rocks"Those crazy space scientologists and their death wishes.

Altman be praised.
I know why you wrote space scientologists, quite a fitting description, but for those that haven't played the game, the actual name of the religious views portrayed is unitology. And personally, every time I think of unitarians, I think unitologists.

At any rate; unitologists represent religious fanaticism at its finest. Yaaaaaayyy

As a side note, the movie for deadspace scared the crap out of me
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Shol'va

Movie? What movie? Do you mean the game cinematics? Dead Space 2 and 3 are also great games. I'm hoping there will be more, the universe has so much potential.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Shiranu"Bioshock Infinite wasn't mentioned yet, really? The entire game is basically a f.u. to he corrupt history of the church in America and the xenophobia, racism and elitism it promoted in American history.
I LOVE Bioshock Infinite. Probably my favorite story based game ever.

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Alloy Crow"Fallout 3 (or 4 don't remember) has this "church of atom" and they pray to an atomic bomb that didn't explode, the radiation of the bomb has some effects on them mentally, so they keep worshiping the bomb :P. I think they feel good because of the radiation or they have mental problems because of it, one of those, or both don't remember.
This actually reminds me of one of the Planet of the Apes sequels.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Plu

QuoteWhile not anti-religious per se, Medieval 2 Total War had an interesting take on it. Both Christians and Muslims are unrepentantly zealous and aggressively proselytize each other (any religious sentiment in a province other than its "native" religion quickly leads to civil unrest). Christian nations are beholden to the Pope, who occasionally calls for Crusades, and not staying in his good graces can quickly get your entire nation excommunicated and almost certainly destroyed by rival Christian kingdoms. Muslim nations, in contrast, are more or less left to their own devices. Christian royalty can become targeted by the inquisition (which tends to end badly for them). But you can also work your own influence into the Vatican, getting your people promoted to Cardinal or even Pope and using his influence to hurt your rivals (failing that, it's not impossible to have the Pope assassinated).

The take-home lesson is that religion is simply a tool to exert power over others.

I love how, while playing Medieval 2, you were always looking at the favor meter with the Pope and thinking "nice, Country X is losing favor... the moment they get excommunicated I'm going to kill everyone and take their land."

Just like in the real world. It really was just a tool to be used to acquire more power.

Hydra009

In Rise of Nations, you advance a civilization through the ages, from antiquity to modernity.  You can build a temple and research religion, then monotheism, and then existentialism.  It is the final upgrade.

Plu

If I remember correctly in Empire Earth you could build a temple and then train Priests to convert enemy units. Unless those units were near a University in which case the Priests' conversion powers stopped working and they became completely useless :)

StupidWiz

I love Aveline Vallen in Dragon Age 2. Even though her late husband was a pious Templar, she herself never believes in afterlife and deities.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia