News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A cure for homosexuality

Started by GSOgymrat, December 28, 2013, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

But then where would we find interior designers or couples to go on House Hunters International?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Mermaid

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"Can we make a vaccine that turns everyone bisexual?
an excellent idea. :)
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Quote from: "SGOS"Changing one's sexual orientation?  Wouldn't that be an offense against God or something?
Well...if it's natural and it's something we like, then changing it would be playing God and the height of hubris.  But if it's natural and it's something we don't like, then God wants us to change it.  /fundie logic

QuoteImagine going to a comedy theater to watch some gay guy act like a straight guy, complete with straight clothes and straight make up.  Everyone would marvel, "Geeze, I thought that was a straight guy singing up there, but it was actually a gay guy.  How does he do that?

Plu

Quote from: "FrankDK"It depends on which comes first, the vaccine or the eradication of bigotry.

If you were about to have a child that would be discriminated against, find itself the victim of hate and discrimination, and had a greatly increased likelihood of suicide, would you take an injection to protect your offspring from that?  Most would.  Would that be unethical?  Absolutely not.

Frank

I would rather spend that money on a vaccine that eradicated bigotry instead. The problem with discrimination is that the problem is other people being assholes, and they will find someone else to discriminate instead. And it'll probably still be some other random quality your kid still has and so the whole ordeal wouldn't even help.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote from: "FrankDK"It depends on which comes first, the vaccine or the eradication of bigotry.

If you were about to have a child that would be discriminated against, find itself the victim of hate and discrimination, and had a greatly increased likelihood of suicide, would you take an injection to protect your offspring from that?  Most would.  Would that be unethical?  Absolutely not.

Frank

I would rather spend that money on a vaccine that eradicated bigotry instead. The problem with discrimination is that the problem is other people being assholes, and they will find someone else to discriminate instead. And it'll probably still be some other random quality your kid still has and so the whole ordeal wouldn't even help.
Exactly. Why attack homosexuality. Why not find the gene that makes people believe bullshit like a god and erracticate it?!!!! This crap is just another method of segregating gays and foisting prejudices aganist them. If science was so capable to isolate and alter the "homo" gene then they could actually just manufacture kids that are blond haired, blue eyed and obeyed the fuhrer.

frosty

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "frosty"In my view eliminating sexuality and gender from humanity would solve a lot of problems - except, of course, procreation and reproduction. If that issue were to be solved and I had the power to eliminate gender and sexuality I would do it.
[ Image ]

Perhaps a more benevolent version?

Lol I picture something like that in my head. To be honest I think it would be great. Solve the idea of making babies and humans would propel themselves to new levels currently unimaginable. Sex may be for pleasure and reproduction, but it is also a lower form of animal behavior that seems to dilute our ways of thinking.

Jason78

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"Can we make a vaccine that turns everyone bisexual?
I support this message and it's poster :D
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SilentFutility

Quote from: "frosty"
Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "frosty"In my view eliminating sexuality and gender from humanity would solve a lot of problems - except, of course, procreation and reproduction. If that issue were to be solved and I had the power to eliminate gender and sexuality I would do it.
[ Image ]

Perhaps a more benevolent version?

Lol I picture something like that in my head. To be honest I think it would be great. Solve the idea of making babies and humans would propel themselves to new levels currently unimaginable. Sex may be for pleasure and reproduction, but it is also a lower form of animal behavior that seems to dilute our ways of thinking.
What about sex is "lower"? Because it is a base, instinctive function hardwired into us? Well, so are many other things like social needs etc. but that doesn't make them low behaviour. We are animals. Sure, we'd be more productive and there'd be less friction between us if we eliminated other intrinsic human wants and needs like self-esteem, self-actualisation, social acceptance etc. but at some point if you eliminate it all what is left of us?

I personally enjoy sex a great deal without it negatively impacting my life just as I'm sure many others on this forum do. I also like cars and very much enjoy indian food and sports, none of which make me unhappy nor harm anyone else. Where exactly is the problem with doing things because they are enjoyable? Is the pursuit of enjoyment somehow "low"?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "SilentFutility"What about sex is "lower"? Because it is a base, instinctive function hardwired into us? Well, so are many other things like social needs etc. but that doesn't make them low behaviour. We are animals. Sure, we'd be more productive and there'd be less friction between us if we eliminated other intrinsic human wants and needs like self-esteem, self-actualisation, social acceptance etc. but at some point if you eliminate it all what is left of us?

I personally enjoy sex a great deal without it negatively impacting my life just as I'm sure many others on this forum do. I also like cars and very much enjoy indian food and sports, none of which make me unhappy nor harm anyone else. Where exactly is the problem with doing things because they are enjoyable? Is the pursuit of enjoyment somehow "low"?
I think the idea of sex as a "lower" behavior is a holdover of post-Christian thinking. Just because you lose the religion doesn't mean you lose the attitude. Feel free to prove me wrong if anyone has a better explanation or a defense of the idea, though.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Quote from: "aitm"IF indeed, a "vaccine" is available and the technology as well to determine if a child could be in the "throes" of the dreaded infection, it is rather irrelevant if it should be used, it will be. No parent wants a child who is to be born with a "stigma" attached. C'mon.

Homosexuality is a natural occurring percentile of not just humanity but for many animals stemming back to the days a asexuality. But lets be real, if you can change things to your liking, or to enhance the childs life? Oy yeah. We all know that better looking people get better opportunities based on looks alone, so if you could change that many would.

Right. I don't see the difference between a baby being operated for something like Spina Biffida while still in the womb to being able to correct another condition the parents might think of as abnormal. A baby in the womb doesn't have the "right" to be born gay, mongoloid, minus an arm or a leg or anything else. If the parents have the ability to alter the outcome at birth, I do not see a moral problem there.

FrankDK

> I would rather spend that money on a vaccine that eradicated bigotry instead. The problem with discrimination is that the problem is other people being assholes, and they will find someone else to discriminate instead. And it'll probably still be some other random quality your kid still has and so the whole ordeal wouldn't even help.

I agree.  The problem is, we are much closer to finding out why some people are homosexual than we are to finding out why some people are bigots.

We are making some progress in reducing bigotry (witness the number of states that now allow same-sex marriage), but it's a long road.  Eventually, one hopes, characteristics like sexual orientation, skin color, mobility, etc., will be irrelevant in measuring the contributions individuals make.

Frank

Jmpty

I think a cure for baldness would be better.
???  ??

frosty

Quote from: "SilentFutility"What about sex is "lower"? Because it is a base, instinctive function hardwired into us? Well, so are many other things like social needs etc. but that doesn't make them low behaviour. We are animals. Sure, we'd be more productive and there'd be less friction between us if we eliminated other intrinsic human wants and needs like self-esteem, self-actualisation, social acceptance etc. but at some point if you eliminate it all what is left of us?

Sex, despite how many choose to perceive it, is itself a hold-over of human's most earliest and primitive days of origin. That's what I meant by that. We live in a society that chooses to glitterize and glorify an act which in itself is an ancient and modern relic. The idea that me saying that because of faded Christian influence is ridiculous. I never said it was a sin, or implied any negative (moral) connotations besides attaching and implying the idea that when we are heavily involved in such activity in that moment we are not as intellectually, mentally, psychologically, etc. sharpened as we normally would be. I've seen how sex distorts the thinking of everybody, including myself, and it may be worse for some than others but it is a trait shared by almost the entirety of the animal kingdom and we enjoy it just as much as they do which is kinda funny in a way I guess. Even when people, including me, are not in the act we are distracted by the very base urges of such a thing!!!

Of course, the pursuit of fulfillment is not "low", because that is what makes people get up in the morning. But there is a thing called moderation, and self restraint, and what I am saying is simply not a Christian or religious tenet, it is a fact of life. Just as much as people crave and enjoy sex, people also, some more than others, strive to control their lower nature and strive to live their lives in control of themselves. It's funny because not only do people of all faiths, including Atheists themselves, agree with me about this, Atheists seem to be the best ones at controlling themselves.

Quotebut at some point if you eliminate it all what is left of us?

That is truly the golden question. That, in my opinion, will be the prime, defining debate in future societies regarding genetic engineering, steam cell research, anything involving this topic. The main theme will be something like 'When do we stop', or 'What is the true meaning of human?'

Hydra009

Quote from: "frosty"
Quote from: "SilentFutility"but at some point if you eliminate it all what is left of us?
That is truly the golden question. That, in my opinion, will be the prime, defining debate in future societies regarding genetic engineering, steam cell research, anything involving this topic. The main theme will be something like 'When do we stop', or 'What is the true meaning of human?'
Advances in both mechanical augmentation and genetic engineering will certainly push the limits of what we consider human identity.  Ultimately, we'll probably have to come up with a much broader definition or coin a new term.

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!