News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

anime

Started by sophia, December 27, 2013, 03:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

In the mid 2100s humanity is attacked by the gamillon empire and fights a slow losing battle against them, eventually the gamillon start bombing the earth, forcing ifs population to move underground to escape the radiation.

The show itself details the journey of some of the last troops the earth has left; as they go out to retrieve the Cosmo DNA, a device a third distant species wants to gift them. Each episode has a decreasing amount of days until the radiation wipes out the last humans on earth

'Twas a good series, but if you watch it avoid farewell space battleship, everyone dies; and it's non-canon
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Nonsensei

Quote from: "sophia"
Quote from: "Nonsensei"Leseee...

Suisei no Gargantia: Started out real strong, and by the middle of the season the show was in a really good place where it could have become something legendary. But sadly, it squandered that potential on a plot line nobody but the creator liked and an ending that was deeply unsatisfying.

Ars Nova: Pretty much word for word the same problem as Suisei no Gargantia, with the added infuriating issue of never having explained anything.

[spoil:la10n65f]This made me so fucking mad. Theres these fucking ALIEN SHIPS that appear OUT OF NOWHERE and imitate modern naval combat vessels. They are basically controlled by artificial intelligences that follow orders to cut humanity off from the oceans...by someone. We never find out why these ships appeared, who sent them, or what they meant to accomplish by sending them. NEVER. Not even the smallest hint. We never find out why Iona, one of the main characters and an alien ship AI, doesn't have to follow the orders the rest of her kin do. We never even fucking see the vibration warhead in action, which is the fucking thing that Iona and her captain are trying to transport across the ocean for the WHOLE FUCKING SEASON. I was so let down by the way this show ended that I feel like throwing up.[/spoil:la10n65f]

Kill la kill: Blech. Its like they wanted to be Tengen Toppa Guren Lagaan but to be blunt the setting is far less interesting. Theres no emotional investment in this show. Its just super powered fighters wailing on eachother. I managed to make it to episode 7 before I gave up in disgust. It was the creator's job to make me care and he failed.

Log Horizon: I cant really put into specific words why I like this show so much but I do. Theres nothing too amazing about it. Its way more happy go lucky than the last show that shared its premise (Sword Art Online). But for some reason I really want to see what happens to these people. They better not disappoint me with the ending.
I do like Kill la kill. Log horizon what kind of anime is it?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/17265/
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

sophia

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"In the mid 2100s humanity is attacked by the gamillon empire and fights a slow losing battle against them, eventually the gamillon start bombing the earth, forcing ifs population to move underground to escape the radiation.

The show itself details the journey of some of the last troops the earth has left; as they go out to retrieve the Cosmo DNA, a device a third distant species wants to gift them. Each episode has a decreasing amount of days until the radiation wipes out the last humans on earth

'Twas a good series, but if you watch it avoid farewell space battleship, everyone dies; and it's non-canon
Sounds interesting

sophia

Quote from: "Nonsensei"
Quote from: "sophia"
Quote from: "Nonsensei"Leseee...

Suisei no Gargantia: Started out real strong, and by the middle of the season the show was in a really good place where it could have become something legendary. But sadly, it squandered that potential on a plot line nobody but the creator liked and an ending that was deeply unsatisfying.

Ars Nova: Pretty much word for word the same problem as Suisei no Gargantia, with the added infuriating issue of never having explained anything.

[spoil:1u04ijuz]This made me so fucking mad. Theres these fucking ALIEN SHIPS that appear OUT OF NOWHERE and imitate modern naval combat vessels. They are basically controlled by artificial intelligences that follow orders to cut humanity off from the oceans...by someone. We never find out why these ships appeared, who sent them, or what they meant to accomplish by sending them. NEVER. Not even the smallest hint. We never find out why Iona, one of the main characters and an alien ship AI, doesn't have to follow the orders the rest of her kin do. We never even fucking see the vibration warhead in action, which is the fucking thing that Iona and her captain are trying to transport across the ocean for the WHOLE FUCKING SEASON. I was so let down by the way this show ended that I feel like throwing up.[/spoil:1u04ijuz]

Kill la kill: Blech. Its like they wanted to be Tengen Toppa Guren Lagaan but to be blunt the setting is far less interesting. Theres no emotional investment in this show. Its just super powered fighters wailing on eachother. I managed to make it to episode 7 before I gave up in disgust. It was the creator's job to make me care and he failed.

Log Horizon: I cant really put into specific words why I like this show so much but I do. Theres nothing too amazing about it. Its way more happy go lucky than the last show that shared its premise (Sword Art Online). But for some reason I really want to see what happens to these people. They better not disappoint me with the ending.
I do like Kill la kill. Log horizon what kind of anime is it?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/17265/
thank you for the link

Jason78

Does Pokémon count as anime?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

sophia

Quote from: "Jason78"Does Pokémon count as anime?
Yes it does

wolf39us

Well, I won't say this is my favorite anime... but a while ago I used to watch Bleach.  I got through about 200 episodes and moved onto another anime because of all of the fillers.  Well, recently while I was looking for movies to watch with the woman, I showed her one of the Bleach movies.  She loved it!

Now we are watching Bleach because she wants to go through the whole thing.  Honestly I want to see it all the way through too.  So every night we are watching between 3-4 episodes.  I warned her there are over 350 of em!

wolf39us

Quote from: "Jason78"Does Pokémon count as anime?

Yep!

ahhhh memories :-)

sophia

Quote from: "wolf39us"Well, I won't say this is my favorite anime... but a while ago I used to watch Bleach.  I got through about 200 episodes and moved onto another anime because of all of the fillers.  Well, recently while I was looking for movies to watch with the woman, I showed her one of the Bleach movies.  She loved it!

Now we are watching Bleach because she wants to go through the whole thing.  Honestly I want to see it all the way through too.  So every night we are watching between 3-4 episodes.  I warned her there are over 350 of em!
Bleach was my favorite anime

GrinningYMIR

I never liked the pokemon games, but the show was pretty good for the first few seasons.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

sophia

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"I never liked the pokemon games, but the show was pretty good for the first few seasons.
I liked the pokemon games better noe than the anime

GrinningYMIR

I just couldn't get into them, I tried sapphire back on the day, but no. I was the only kid in my class who wanted to play FF7 instead of pokemon :3

the FF7 anime wasn't great though

Insult to Rocks

Man, the last anime I watched was Axis Powers Hetallia, and it had the same problem as all the other animes I have watched; starts out really strong, then decays beyond recognition about halfway through.
For reference, the other animes I have watched were Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fooly Cooly, and Death Note. Was really disappointed when Death Note got all stupid, cause I really liked it up till that point.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

wolf39us

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"Man, the last anime I watched was Axis Powers Hetallia, and it had the same problem as all the other animes I have watched; starts out really strong, then decays beyond recognition about halfway through.
For reference, the other animes I have watched were Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fooly Cooly, and Death Note. Was really disappointed when Death Note got all stupid, cause I really liked it up till that point.

?????, Desu N?to  was AMAZING sir.  All the way up to the end!  Certainly one of my favorites.

And Hetalia was pure silliness.  I didn't make it through to the end either.

sophia

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"I just couldn't get into them, I tried sapphire back on the day, but no. I was the only kid in my class who wanted to play FF7 instead of pokemon :3

the FF7 anime wasn't great though
pokemon saphire was a easy game. I got pokemon x now