This Is Why I Like Elizabeth Warren

Started by stromboli, October 17, 2013, 12:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/1 ... ref=topbar

Quote"I'm glad that the government shutdown has ended, and I'm relieved that we didn't default on our debt.
But I want to be clear: I am NOT celebrating tonight.

Yes, we prevented an economic catastrophe that would have put a huge hole in our fragile economic recovery. But the reason we were in this mess in the first place is that a reckless faction in Congress took the government and the economy hostage for no good purpose and to no productive end.

According to the S&P index, the government shutdown had delivered a powerful blow to the U.S. economy. By their estimates, $24 billion has been flushed down the drain for a completely unnecessary political stunt.

$24 billion dollars. How many children could have been back in Head Start classes? How many seniors could have had a hot lunch through Meals on Wheels? How many scientists could have gotten their research funded? How many bridges could have been repaired and trains upgraded?

The Republicans keep saying, "Leave the sequester in place and cut all those budgets." They keep trying to cut funding for the things that would help us build a future. But they are ready to flush away $24 billion on a political stunt.

So I'm relieved, but I'm also pretty angry.

We have serious problems that need to be fixed, and we have hard choices to make about taxes and spending. I hope we never see our country flush money away like this again. Not ever.

It's time for the hostage taking to end. It's time for every one of us to say, "No more."

She is willing to hold these assholes feet to the fire, and tells it straight. Never seen anything about her that didn't ring true. I confess I'm a little bit in love with this chick.  :-D

Aroura33

Not that those assholes care much what she says. About a quarter of Americans will back the teaparty even if the take the entire international economy down with them, and they will be cheering the whole way.

But I love her too. I do hope she runs for president. She is tough but does not have the bitch stamp Clinton had...deserved or not.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Xerographica

Quote$24 billion dollars. How many children could have been back in Head Start classes? How many seniors could have had a hot lunch through Meals on Wheels? How many scientists could have gotten their research funded? How many bridges could have been repaired and trains upgraded? - Elizabeth Warren
QuoteEvery gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron...Is there no other way the world may live? - Dwight D. Eisenhower
You like Elizabeth Warren because you think she knows which use of that $24 billion dollars would have provided the greatest benefit for the American people.  

Sorry, the opportunity cost concept isn't one king deciding which use of everybody's taxes will provide the most benefit.  And it certainly isn't Elizabeth Warren deciding which use of everybody's taxes will provide the most benefit.  And it's not Elizabeth Warren and 500 of her other cronies sitting in Washington deciding which use of everybody's taxes will provide the most benefit.  It's every single citizen deciding which use of their own money will provide them with the most benefit.  This is the only way to ensure the optimal allocation of society's limited resources.  It will reflect the optimal amount of resources that should be taken from each and every use that each and every person also values at each and every moment.  This is what markets do...and it's what 500 of our best and brightest cannot even come close to doing.

Plu

Oi. Why don't you just stick to your own threads?

Jmpty

Quote from: "Xerographica"
Quote$24 billion dollars. How many children could have been back in Head Start classes? How many seniors could have had a hot lunch through Meals on Wheels? How many scientists could have gotten their research funded? How many bridges could have been repaired and trains upgraded? - Elizabeth Warren
QuoteEvery gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron...Is there no other way the world may live? - Dwight D. Eisenhower
You like Elizabeth Warren because you think she knows which use of that $24 billion dollars would have provided the greatest benefit for the American people.  

Sorry, the opportunity cost concept isn't one king deciding which use of everybody's taxes will provide the most benefit.  And it certainly isn't Elizabeth Warren deciding which use of everybody's taxes will provide the most benefit.  And it's not Elizabeth Warren and 500 of her other cronies sitting in Washington deciding which use of everybody's taxes will provide the most benefit.  It's every single citizen deciding which use of their own money will provide them with the most benefit.  This is the only way to ensure the optimal allocation of society's limited resources.  It will reflect the optimal amount of resources that should be taken from each and every use that each and every person also values at each and every moment.  This is what markets do...and it's what 500 of our best and brightest cannot even come close to doing.
???  ??

AllPurposeAtheist

I hate to say it, but the OP quote really is towing the party line. I happen to agree with it, but it's basically word for word (almost) the same thing the pres said yesterday. I like EW and glad she won election so don't stick me in the xero box..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Atheon

When right-wingers whine, something good had been said or done.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

At least she says it. Her history is on of standing up and pointing out the damage done by Wall Street, the "too big to fail" banks and others. Toe the party line she may be, but she has a solid background in economics and really does understand what she is talking about. She has never shown an unwillingness to speak up, when so many others remained silent.

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah..you're right. To bad she hasn't publicly called out Ted Cruz.. Harry Reid did..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Quote from: "Xerographica"the only way to ensure the optimal allocation of society's limited resources.
That's like ensuring that you use the right color Band Aid when you've cut your leg off.  If you get it right you'll bleed to death with the right color Band Aid.

We have to HAVE resources before we can allocate them, and causing the US to default on its debt is ensuring that we lose resources.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Xerographica

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Xerographica"the only way to ensure the optimal allocation of society's limited resources.
That's like ensuring that you use the right color Band Aid when you've cut your leg off.  If you get it right you'll bleed to death with the right color Band Aid.

We have to HAVE resources before we can allocate them, and causing the US to default on its debt is ensuring that we lose resources.
If I give you $1 and you give me $5 in return...then clearly I'm going to give you more money.  If I give you $1...and you give me a rotten carrot in return...then clearly I'm not going to give you any more money.  

This isn't rocket science...even the Bible gets it... Parable of the talents or minas

If the government is losing our resources...then we shouldn't give them more resources.  But the entire government isn't the problem...it's the fact that we allow Elizabeth Warren and her cronies to spend our money regardless of the results.  In order to minimize losses and maximize gains...taxpayers must have the freedom to choose which "servants" they give their "talents" to.

LizaWales

The news that Elizabeth Warren, the former Harvard Law professor, has apparently landed a spot on the Senate banking committee is an idea that must be regarded with sufficient awe. http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneybl ... e-banking/

stromboli

She's also my age and still hawt.  :-D