The Central Problems for Atheism, and Why Religion is True

Started by gracedwithlife, December 25, 2013, 12:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fidel_Castronaut

lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Regens Küchl"Of course you know that this was Troy Brooks (Parture), right?
https://twitter.com/Parture

http://talkrational.org/showthread.php? ... ht=parture

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He periodically posts a pile of duplicate threads in every forum he can get to before he's stopped.

He was here before, he will no doubt return someday.
http://talkrational.org/showthread.php? ... ure+thread

lmao, that was Parture?

I remember him from Thinking Aloud Forum ... he used to troll there for quite some time until he exhausted our patience.

Funny to see that he hasn't learned anything in three years.
<insert witty aphorism here>

wolf39us

thepractice

If you define God to be the 'First Cause', then of course God exists. Such a definition is slightly tautological though.

If you define God as 'the Creator', then there's more room to deny the existence of God.
[size=150]religiondiscussion.com[/size]

stromboli

The First Cause argument runs ad nauseum forever. My argument stems not from first cause but why? Why would a perfect, all inclusive and immortal god need to create worshipers? And why would he go about doing it the way it was supposedly done? We create new realities all the time, whether it be Middle Earth, Hogwarts or a god created universe. that is the nature of man to do that, and religion was meant to answer questions unanswerable in ancient days.

Everything about religion demonstrates the personification of human ideas. If god existed, science would ultimately discover the means, the reason and the method. The opposite has happened. Religion models itself around the known, not introducing unknowns that are startling and yet ultimately provable.

thepractice

Quote from: "stromboli"The First Cause argument runs ad nauseum forever. My argument stems not from first cause but why? Why would a perfect, all inclusive and immortal god need to create worshipers? And why would he go about doing it the way it was supposedly done? We create new realities all the time, whether it be Middle Earth, Hogwarts or a god created universe. that is the nature of man to do that, and religion was meant to answer questions unanswerable in ancient days.

Everything about religion demonstrates the personification of human ideas. If god existed, science would ultimately discover the means, the reason and the method. The opposite has happened. Religion models itself around the known, not introducing unknowns that are startling and yet ultimately provable.

I would spin this on its head and argue that God created man in His own likeness. Thus, man wants to create because God wants to create. Religion demonstrates personification because God is a person.

Johan

Quote from: "thepractice"I would spin this on its head and argue that God created man in His own likeness.
In that case not for nothing but I think God needs to hit the gym a little more.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "wolf39us"Come to think of it... I remember him too!

Remember he used to freeze the chat with his apps, and then one time it took three weeks to repair it?

That pretty much killed what had been a vibrant chatroom.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "thepractice"I would spin this on its head and argue that God created man in His own likeness.

Then we can dismiss the Christian conception of god, because mankind is clearly a flawed design.

stromboli

Quote from: "thepractice"
Quote from: "stromboli"The First Cause argument runs ad nauseum forever. My argument stems not from first cause but why? Why would a perfect, all inclusive and immortal god need to create worshipers? And why would he go about doing it the way it was supposedly done? We create new realities all the time, whether it be Middle Earth, Hogwarts or a god created universe. that is the nature of man to do that, and religion was meant to answer questions unanswerable in ancient days.

I would spin this on its head and argue that God created man in His own likeness. Thus, man wants to create because God wants to create. Religion demonstrates personification because God is a person.

You just became a Mormon.  :-D

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "thepractice"

I would spin this on its head and argue that [s:omya0lw1]God[/s:omya0lw1] man created [s:omya0lw1]man[/s:omya0lw1] God in His own likeness. Thus, man wants to create because God wants to create. Religion demonstrates personification because God is a person.

FIFY

Plu

QuoteI would spin this on its head and argue that God created man in His own likeness. Thus, man wants to create because God wants to create. Religion demonstrates personification because God is a person.

Your god sounds like a serious rotten bastard. I wonder why no modern religions portray their god like the asshole he'd have to be for this to be true :P

thepractice

Quote from: "stromboli"
Quote from: "thepractice"I would spin this on its head and argue that God created man in His own likeness. Thus, man wants to create because God wants to create. Religion demonstrates personification because God is a person.

You just became a Mormon.  :-D

Well I think most Christians think of God as three persons, but the point is the same.

In fact, all Christians believe that God is a person because Christ was obviously a person.

Notwithstanding this, a "person" does not necessarily mean a flesh-and-blood body.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "thepractice"Well I think most Christians think of God as three persons,
Only because they murdered everyone who didn't.

Plu

QuoteNotwithstanding this, a "person" does not necessarily mean a flesh-and-blood body.

The term did get kinda muddled when it started applying to corporations. But then usually when something other then flesh and blood gets called "a person" it involves someone trying to screw you over for their own profit, so I guess it makes sense.