News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ghost or Camera Tracking?

Started by mediumaevum, December 21, 2013, 03:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mediumaevum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd1uqFF176g

I'd like to know if this is real or fake. If this is fake, how was it made?

I know you have a technique named "Camera Tracking", this can be done even with free software like Blender.
It works like this:

You put in your real footage, plug in the values of your camera (focal length, sensor width etc.)
and place some tracking markers and begin to track the scene to get the camera movement.

While there is certainly nothing spooky about that, what makes me wonder how they did this trick is
the fact that the tea boxes that are appearing to fly out of their places, also appears to be behind the guy.

This trick is only possible with an EXTREMELY good track. Granted, this footage is a tripod footage (it's CCTV), thus no camera movement,
but the guy in the front still needs to be masked out. This, I can tell you, is an extremely difficult task (I tried masking out a simple object, doing this with organic objects is really difficult,
if not impossible in many cases).

Poison Tree

Ghost or camera tracking--are those the only two options?  [-X
How about
The video equivalent of photo shop--easier when you don't need to give a fuck about image quality/clarity
or
Strings and/or and actor--also known as a fairly simple magic trick
or
someone on the other side of the shelf knocking the second box down--store shelve are often not entirely solid; even a fairly small hole (like for putting a pet in to hold shelves) would let a thin but stiff metal wire/pole through which would be enough to push a lite object off the shelf
or
any number of other possible explanations.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

mediumaevum

Quote from: "Poison Tree"Ghost or camera tracking--are those the only two options?  [-X
How about
The video equivalent of photo shop--easier when you don't need to give a fuck about image quality/clarity

You would still need to take care of the movements in the footage and the image sequence as a whole.
That's why Camera Tracking is important. Camera Tracking doesn't need to be advanced/complicated though.
You could do single or two-point tracking.

QuoteStrings and/or and actor--also known as a fairly simple magic trick

If there was a string between the two shelves to pull out the first box to make it "float in the air", the actor would get caught up in it.
He doesn't appear to do so.

Quotesomeone on the other side of the shelf knocking the second box down--store shelve are often not entirely solid; even a fairly small hole (like for putting a pet in to hold shelves) would let a thin but stiff metal wire/pole through which would be enough to push a lite object off the shelf

True, but I was talking about the first one.

Plu

I've seen far better quality and more impressive feats of stage magic. It's also suspicious that the guy doesn't seem to react in any way when he turns his head and the item should appear in his field of vision, even though you should have a subconscious reaction.

Looks to me like they just edited it in, really. Probably for marketing purposes or something. If you know your audience is dumb, this is going to generate a lot of revenue.

josephpalazzo

So you're dead, and miraculously, you come back to this world. But the only thing you can do is push a few tea bags off the shelves?! Wow! I'm impressed!! The Lord is great!!!

:roll:

frosty

I remember when I was taking pictures for a house to be sold and looking at the pictures afterwards I noticed there was spots on the pictures, they looked like orbs. So I researched it online and found tons of ghost sites saying it is ghosts, or spirits that got captured in the camera 'snapshot'. But then upon further research I saw that there are multiple explanations for it, notably dirt and dust on the camera lens and even balls of dust that float in the air that the human eye either cannot see or subconsciously filters out due to unimportance. There could also be certain objects in the house that reflect light in the house or outside and it bounces off a certain surface and into the lens.

mediumaevum, I know you like to see the 'other' side of things, but I would encourage you to also see the scientific side of things as well. Whenever you see something perceived as 'spiritual' you should always look for a scientific explanation as to the occurrence of the phenomena. You started off on this forum as someone who thought in terms of superstition and as you talked to people here it seems you have become more rational in the process, and I encourage you to keep that up.

mediumaevum

Quote from: "frosty"I remember when I was taking pictures for a house to be sold and looking at the pictures afterwards I noticed there was spots on the pictures, they looked like orbs. So I researched it online and found tons of ghost sites saying it is ghosts, or spirits that got captured in the camera 'snapshot'. But then upon further research I saw that there are multiple explanations for it, notably dirt and dust on the camera lens and even balls of dust that float in the air that the human eye either cannot see or subconsciously filters out due to unimportance. There could also be certain objects in the house that reflect light in the house or outside and it bounces off a certain surface and into the lens.

mediumaevum, I know you like to see the 'other' side of things, but I would encourage you to also see the scientific side of things as well. Whenever you see something perceived as 'spiritual' you should always look for a scientific explanation as to the occurrence of the phenomena. You started off on this forum as someone who thought in terms of superstition and as you talked to people here it seems you have become more rational in the process, and I encourage you to keep that up.

Now, how do you explain THIS:
[video deleted because it got a thumb down]

Atheon

There are dozens of possibilities. None of them are "ghost".
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

frosty

Quote from: "mediumaevum"
Quote from: "frosty"I remember when I was taking pictures for a house to be sold and looking at the pictures afterwards I noticed there was spots on the pictures, they looked like orbs. So I researched it online and found tons of ghost sites saying it is ghosts, or spirits that got captured in the camera 'snapshot'. But then upon further research I saw that there are multiple explanations for it, notably dirt and dust on the camera lens and even balls of dust that float in the air that the human eye either cannot see or subconsciously filters out due to unimportance. There could also be certain objects in the house that reflect light in the house or outside and it bounces off a certain surface and into the lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ga5JPFX0E

Ummm.... some guy under the fucking table moving it around? Small earthquake? You'll probably say "no, there was nobody there", I'm anticipating that type of reply. No offense man but it's almost like in a sense you are opposed to the concept of rational thinking because it destroys your insistence on believing that a mystical world exists.

Also, you might want to change the title of that video anyways. Just calling it "Poltergeist" won't get it that many views, name it something more unique for more views.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "mediumaevum"Now, how do you explain THIS:
That's some of the most eye-bleedingly obvious CGI I've ever seen.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

mediumaevum

Quote from: "frosty"

Ummm.... some guy under the fucking table moving it around? Small earthquake? You'll probably say "no, there was nobody there", I'm anticipating that type of reply. No offense man but it's almost like in a sense you are opposed to the concept of rational thinking because it destroys your insistence on believing that a mystical world exists.

Also, you might want to change the title of that video anyways. Just calling it "Poltergeist" won't get it that many views, name it something more unique for more views.

It's Computer Graphics. Camera Tracking done in Blender.

mediumaevum

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "mediumaevum"Now, how do you explain THIS:
That's some of the most eye-bleedingly obvious CGI I've ever seen.

I admit, the Glossy Shader could do better.

Also, keep in mind I was trying to make some fun of this discussion.

frosty

I had no idea. Besides editing some multiplayer frag videos here and there I am not knowledgeable at all in the field of video editing.

mediumaevum

Quote from: "frosty"I had no idea. Besides editing some multiplayer frag videos here and there I am not knowledgeable at all in the field of video editing.

You can do pretty advanced and even realistic stuff with a free software like Blender and a simple camera.

You can't trust videos. Except those that are from before the invention of Motion Tracking technology and even then, I believe you could do some video editing.

frosty

Quote from: "frosty"I had no idea. Besides editing some multiplayer frag videos here and there I am not knowledgeable at all in the field of video editing.

You can do pretty advanced and even realistic stuff with a free software like Blender and a simple camera.

You can't trust videos. Except those that are from before the invention of Motion Tracking technology and even then, I believe you could do some video editing.

I've heard of Blender before, way back. I'll have to look into that stuff again.

And by saying "You can't trust videos", you have basically brutally insulted an entire generation of Youtube keyboard warriors. Congrats.