Dear atheists, we ex muslims are waiting for you

Started by baronvonrort, December 17, 2013, 09:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frosty

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"
Quote from: "frosty"There is definitely a noticeable bias among Atheists and self proclaimed "Liberals" that seem to ignore any Islam affiliated atrocities. I have noticed this tremendously over the years. I am always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt but I have seen it many times over the years. I will confirm that it has indeed gotten better, though. In my mind all religions are worthy of equal scrutiny and they do not belong in the 21st century. And what happens if someone gets offended? Too fucking bad, go take a pill.

I'd be interested in an example of atheists (not a proper noun, doesn't need to be capitalized) and self-proclaimed "liberals" (ditto, and I assume from the scare quotes that the people you're referring to are not people you regard as actual liberals, so it's unclear who you're actually talking about) ignoring an Islam-affiliated atrocity. It's not as obvious to me as to you, so maybe you can point me in the right direction.

TIA: I do not consider myself to be a liberal.

I'm not a liberal either. Like I said it is accumulated knowledge from experiences over the years. I believe I made that clear but I guess not. It's not something I can copypasta here, it derives from personal experiences, not in links readily available on the web. Another thing, is I tend to forget most people I communicate with on the Internet rather easily, along with having a short memory span when it comes to reading news articles (because I read so many). I wouldn't doubt there being certain organizations affiliated with the left that do such things, but I'm not sure what to search to find such things - and to be honest I view such things as behind me anyways, if that makes any sense.

The people I refer to as "liberals" I do so because they themselves referred to themselves as such. Not me, them. And I capitalize Atheist, because I am accustomed to dealing with religious people that lowercase "atheist" and then uppercase the first letter of their faith as an insult to Atheists. It is subconscious, not sure why that matters though? Perhaps I am asking a rhetorical question.

leo

I agree Islam is probably the worse religion right now , it's very dangerous.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "frosty"I'm not a liberal either. Like I said it is accumulated knowledge from experiences over the years. I believe I made that clear but I guess not. It's not something I can copypasta here, it derives from personal experiences, not in links readily available on the web. Another thing, is I tend to forget most people I communicate with on the Internet rather easily, along with having a short memory span when it comes to reading news articles (because I read so many). I wouldn't doubt there being certain organizations affiliated with the left that do such things, but I'm not sure what to search to find such things - and to be honest I view such things as behind me anyways, if that makes any sense.

So you're just sharing a general impression that you have, not making a claim about the actual state of affairs. No worries, sometimes that's all we have to go on. Given the difficulty of proving the negative (ignoring something is not paying attention to it, and how do you go about showing a demographic is not paying attention to something?) it was a tall order in any case.

Quote from: "frosty"The people I refer to as "liberals" I do so because they themselves referred to themselves as such. Not me, them.

So you don't believe their claim that they are liberals? That's what the scare quotes seem to indicate. If you don't believe they are liberals, what do you think they are?

Quote from: "frosty"And I capitalize Atheist, because I am accustomed to dealing with religious people that lowercase "atheist" and then uppercase the first letter of their faith as an insult to Atheists.

Not everything is about us. It is proper English to capitalize Christianity, Hinduism, or Islam, so I doubt the purpose of doing so is to insult atheists.  One shouldn't capitalize atheism or theism except at the beginning of a sentence or as part of a proper name, like National Atheist Society.

Quote from: "frosty"It is subconscious, not sure why that matters though? Perhaps I am asking a rhetorical question.

It only matters if you care about using proper capitalization. It's your priviledge to break conventions, particularly if you are doing so deliberately. My memory is also fairly faulty, if I comment on your capitalization in future, it doesn't mean I'm nagging you, it just means I've forgotten I already mentioned it.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

frosty

I didn't realize my own personal experiences would be taken upon such an exception by a fellow forum user to initiate multi-quote replies. Like I said for the 3rd time now, they themselves said they were Liberals. Do I think they were liberals? I'm not one myself so I can't say 100 percent. In my opinion, though, a liberal should not criticize other dogmatic ideologies yet completely be subjected to the sensitivities of one particular one, and then insult others that criticize the one religion that dare not be criticized. I dunno, maybe other people have an idea of what it means to be a "liberal" but to me that certainly should not be it. If other people think serving Islam means being a Liberal then whatever floats their boat I guess, right?

As for the capitalization...... yes, it was meant as insult, particularly when the Theists themselves said it was insult. I have made it abundantly clear that what I said is based off personal experiences, I'm not sure why you are taking such an exception to it. I didn't want to multi-quote back because to be honest I don't care that much about this topic to be honest, I've learned myself to rise above such behavior of what I was subjected to before, which is dirty political name calling and entrenchment in ideologies. I don't know why I have to explain myself to you of all people.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: "aileron"Agreed.  As practiced today, Islam is by far the worst of the major religions.  Christianity is no better; it's just held in check by science and secular power in the West.
And we want to keep it that way.

Quote from: "aileron"When Christianity had the power Islam does today, it killed for apostasy and treated women as property too.
This is why we need to not get distracted by Islam. Yeah, we'll give Islam the attention we can spare, but Christianity is far from broken.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

frosty

Quote from: "Solitary":popcorn: Solitary

You seem to really enjoy popcorn, Solitary. In fact in a lot of threads like this you are eating popcorn. Personally I would get sick of it fast, movie popcorn has always made me feel sick when I eat too much.

FrankDK

There are several reasons why I tend to criticize Christianity more often that Islam.

First, I know more about Christianity than I do about Islam.  I've read the Bible; I haven't read the Koran.  I know that Islam is nonsense, because it is a theistic religion and it promotes violence.  Other than that, I can't speak authoritatively.

It's usually Christians who come to this and other forums spouting their religious tripe.  If a Muslim got on and started preaching, I suspect he would be met with the same vigor as a Christian.

In the US, it's not Muslims who are trying to enact laws that enforce their religious prejudice, it's the Christians, so they are the obvious targets.

When Islam becomes more wide-spread in the US, and I read the Koran, I'll start criticizing Islam.

Frank

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "frosty"I didn't realize my own personal experiences would be taken upon such an exception by a fellow forum user to initiate multi-quote replies.

I haven't taken exception to them, I'm still trying to comprehend them. I initiate multi-quote replies so that my answer will be below the portion of your statement I am replying to. Making shorter statements will nullify this habit.

Quote from: "frosty"Like I said for the 3rd time now, they themselves said they were Liberals. Do I think they were liberals? I'm not one myself so I can't say 100 percent. In my opinion, though, a liberal should not criticize other dogmatic ideologies yet completely be subjected to the sensitivities of one particular one, and then insult others that criticize the one religion that dare not be criticized. I dunno, maybe other people have an idea of what it means to be a "liberal" but to me that certainly should not be it. If other people think serving Islam means being a Liberal then whatever floats their boat I guess, right?

You don't need to tell me a fourth time that they've said they were liberals. What I was trying to figure out is why you put the word 'liberals' in scare quotes as though you don't believe they're liberals. You've now answered my question, thank you. I don't know any people who think serving Islam means being a liberal.

Quote from: "frosty"As for the capitalization...... yes, it was meant as insult, particularly when the Theists themselves said it was insult.

Any theist who told you that using proper capitalization on you is an insult was being idiotic, at best. And you needn't capitalize theist.

Quote from: "frosty"I have made it abundantly clear that what I said is based off personal experiences, I'm not sure why you are taking such an exception to it. I didn't want to multi-quote back because to be honest I don't care that much about this topic to be honest, I've learned myself to rise above such behavior of what I was subjected to before, which is dirty political name calling and entrenchment in ideologies. I don't know why I have to explain myself to you of all people.

The only motive I can see for why you might feel you have to explain yourself to me is that you want me to understand what you're talking about. I haven't taken exception to anything you've said, I've only asked you to explain what you meant, plus a side trip into the rules of capitalization. If it pains you to answer me, just don't. I'm not the sort to nag you for a reply.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

frosty

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"You don't need to tell me a fourth time that they've said they were liberals. What I was trying to figure out is why you put the word 'liberals' in scare quotes as though you don't believe they're liberals. You've now answered my question, thank you. I don't know any people who think serving Islam means being a liberal.

I believed I had answered it to what I thought was truly the case. People who are liberals, at least from what I've seen, don't bash every other ideology except for Islam. That is just ridiculous. For them to do that then call themselves 'liberals' is almost like an insult to rationality everywhere. You may not know any people who think serving Islam means being a liberal, but I've encountered them before. Like I said, whatever floats their boat, I can't stop them nor do I at the end of the day give a shit what they do with their Internet lives.

QuoteAny theist who told you that using proper capitalization on you is an insult was being idiotic, at best. And you needn't capitalize theist.

I have faded memories of them being rather annoying to deal with and accusing me of this and that blah blah blah. They were rather petty people to dish out insults based on capitalization I think.

QuoteThe only motive I can see for why you might feel you have to explain yourself to me is that you want me to understand what you're talking about. I haven't taken exception to anything you've said, I've only asked you to explain what you meant, plus a side trip into the rules of capitalization. If it pains you to answer me, just don't. I'm not the sort to nag you for a reply.

To be honest I just don't get why you are taking such an interest into what I have to say here. My first post was meant as somewhat of a reflection/statement, I didn't expect you to delve into the topic of me arguing with a bunch of random fucktards anywhere from 2-5 years ago.

Plu

QuoteIf a Muslim got on and started preaching, I suspect he would be met with the same vigor as a Christian.

Yeah, I've seen it happen a few times :) They get blasted down like any other.

alexsabus

It is true that ex-muslims need more support than the rest. They face the issue of legal death sentence and death threats from Islamic groups in non-muslim countries. we have been focusing too much on Christianity because we were raised in a Christian background. It is time that we took Islam seriously, since its also the largest spreading religion in the world.

Hijiri Byakuren

The only way Western atheists are going to be able to help is if Europe does something. American atheists have zero power to get America to intervene in any way.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

vacillating

I can't help but wonder if the "ex-Muslims" are really ex-Muslims or people who hate Islam and are perpetrating a scam.

That is not to say that Islam doesn't have many faults.

FrankDK

> I can't help but wonder if the "ex-Muslims" are really ex-Muslims or people who hate Islam and are perpetrating a scam.

It's difficult to tell what a person really believes based on what he says.  There are many people who claim to be Christian, but don't act in ways that a Christian would act.

Frank