Dear atheists, we ex muslims are waiting for you

Started by baronvonrort, December 17, 2013, 09:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fly

Quote from: "Bibliofagus"
Quote from: "TheGadfly"We've got a media that sympathizes with Islam.

:rollin:

You live in the middle east or something?

Nope, the US.

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "TheGadfly"
Quote from: "Bibliofagus"
Quote from: "TheGadfly"We've got a media that sympathizes with Islam.

:rollin:

You live in the middle east or something?

Nope, the US.

And your media sympathizes with Islam?
Really? I find this very hard to believe.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

Moriarty

Not going to speak for him but I would guess he means that they don't attack them enough.

To be fair, since 9/11 we've gotten enough "Not all Muslims are fundamentalist extremists." pushed down our throat.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "Moriarty"Not going to speak for him but I would guess he means that they don't attack them enough.

To be fair, since 9/11 we've gotten enough "Not all Muslims are fundamentalist extremists." pushed down our throat.

In my country we have US-funded people who never stop attacking islam in the media. They get exposure galore. That's why I'm surpised.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

The Fly

Quote from: "Moriarty"Not going to speak for him but I would guess he means that they don't attack them enough.

Thanks Moriarty. That's pretty close to what I was getting at.

There is not a lot of active and intentional sympathizing going on in the media (there is some, but not a lot). The problem I am talking about is basically what Moriarty suggested.

Statements like,
QuoteNot all Muslims are fundamentalist extremists
are a bit of a truism... Excessive truisms and thoughtful journalism are enemies, in my opinion (or at least they should be).

Sadly, a lot of the mainstream media outlets that are actively critical of Islam (such as Fox News) also have their own agenda to push that just adds another problem to the mix.

Moriarty

Personally, to the original thread and title....where is that it is dependent on us atheists to come to their aid. Should be more like Dear Ex Muslims, we Atheists are waiting for you....all are free to join........I don't know of many Atheists go on active recruiting missions.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "TheGadfly"

Thanks Moriarty. That's pretty close to what I was getting at.

There is not a lot of active and intentional sympathizing going on in the media (there is some, but not a lot). The problem I am talking about is basically what Moriarty suggested.

Statements like,
QuoteNot all Muslims are fundamentalist extremists
are a bit of a truism... Excessive truisms and thoughtful journalism are enemies, in my opinion (or at least they should be).

We get these as well. However over here when you confront the proponents of this kind of thinking with this, they will just invoke 'freedom of religion'. And the definition of 'freedom of religion' varies. Most people are not actively aware that (for instance) stoning your unruly children to death is a commandment in their religion, yet it is illegal by law. 'Freedom of religion' does however give religious people rights they would not have otherwise, so it's natural for them to cling to them. And they will. In The Netherlands for instance we have government funded religious schools. From 4-24 years old. Muslim schools as well. The problem of course is a law that says that people have a right to religious education, but everybody who is fighting muslim schools just targets islam, and not the law.

Why? It's because religious people have a common interest. Keeping freedom of religion (or in the case of my example: a right to religious education) as broadly defined as possible.

StupidWiz

Quote from: "The Fly"Sadly, a lot of the mainstream media outlets that are actively critical of Islam (such as Fox News) also have their own agenda to push that just adds another problem to the mix.
This, it's a shame really.  :-|
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Bong

I was a Muslim once. Then I started to ask questions.
And found out that religions and all these craps are fake.
Omnipotence paradox to start with.

AllPurposeAtheist

As they say "all politics are local' which unless I'm wrong politicians, as much as they might want to come right out and say Islam sucks they can't. We in the US and many others have treaties with many Islamic nations or predominantly Muslim countries and most people are a tad sick of war and if Obama for example came right out to say Islam is a disease, a cancer on every society, well, he'd have a huge mess on his hands. Can you even imagine if this happened? We'd be in a perpetual state of never ending war with possibly billions slaughtered over religion and yes folks, the media is a huge part of the messaging of our respective governments.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "The Fly"
Quote from: "Mister Agenda"Clearly to you, maybe.

You disagree with that statement? I am surprised. I am curious to hear your reading of it.

I misread/misspoke, good catch. Good replies overall, The Fly. Thanks for taking the time to be thoughtful.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina