News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheists just hate God!

Started by sab, December 16, 2013, 07:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sab

I was told this yesterday elsewhere.

How are Christians so damned stupid that they can;t understand that we can;t hate what we don;t beleive.

I also had some dumb twat tell me that we knew that god existed even if we didn't believe it...how does that work?

Jason78

Consider the following:

You are approached by someone taking an opinion poll.  They ask for your political affiliation.  Are you a Republican?  

Maybe you voted for an independent in the last election. (Or maybe you didn't vote at all) So you answer "No."  But the person taking the poll only has two checkboxes on their form.  One for Republican, and another one for Democrat.  If you're not one then you must be the other.

This is the sort of way that religious people think.  A religious person will want to know if you worship their god.  If you don't worship their god, then that worship box still needs to be filled.  And in the binary mind of the theist anyone that doesn't worship their god must worship the antithesis.  And if you don't love their god, you must therefore hate their god.  They don't understand the concept of not worshipping something.  Let alone the alien concept of you not believing in any kind of god figure.

Edit:

Which kind of leads on to
QuoteI also had some dumb twat tell me that we knew that god existed even if we didn't believe it...how does that work?

In the theists mind, you know about god.  Everyone does.  In the mind of the theist it's a universal truth.  Therefore in light of this fact, you're aware of gods existence, you just choose not to acknowledge it.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

ApostateLois

They can't imagine anyone NOT believing in God. It is all they have known their whole lives. They grew up in a Christian family where nobody questions or doubts that God exists because this is a fact that is simply taken for granted, like the sun rising every morning. And the wider culture, by and large, accept it, too. Almost everyone in America worships God--if not the Christian deity, then some other one, or more than one. Thus, when the Christian encounters someone who believes in no gods at all, it throws them for a loop. You might as well say that you think the sun doesn't really rise every morning. Of course, you can see the sun and you can't see God, but that is irrelevant to the bewildered and baffled believer. To settle their minds, they have to come up with an explanation that suits them, and "You really do believe in God, you just hate him" fits their ideology just fine. It is not in their intellect simply to accept that some people really mean what they say with, "No, I really just don't believe in God."
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

SGOS

Quote from: "ApostateLois"To settle their minds, they have to come up with an explanation that suits them, and "You really do believe in God, you just hate him" fits their ideology just fine. It is not in their intellect simply to accept that some people really mean what they say with, "No, I really just don't believe in God."
For what it's worth:

A guy I knew in Alcoholics Anonymous used to repeatedly say, "There is a God and you ain't him."

Now he was talking to a group of believers, not to me.  In my head, I always had the same reaction, "Yeah?  So?"  He was obviously very pleased with himself being so eloquent and all.  As for the rest of the group, they would just nod their heads knowingly, because they always nodded their heads when someone said something about God that sounded profound to them.  As for me, as an atheist, it was just a meaningless statement.

It's very hard to work up enough energy to bother getting inside their minds to figure out what they're thinking.  I think they live in a happy chaos of disconnected thought processes.  I really don't want to have that discussion with them.

leo

I can't hate a fictional character but I prefer Santa . Santa is way nicer than the monster bible god.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "leo"I can't hate a fictional character but I prefer Santa . Santa is way nicer than the monster bible god.
I dunno man. An elderly man who breaks into people's houses and leaves "presents" for children? :-k Sounds kinda fishy.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: "leo"I can't hate a fictional character
Wanna put that to the test?   :P

Solitary

:rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :lol:  #-o  Oh that is a good one!  =D>  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "sab"I was told this yesterday elsewhere.

How are Christians so damned stupid that they can;t understand that we can;t hate what we don;t beleive.

I also had some dumb twat tell me that we knew that god existed even if we didn't believe it...how does that work?

Keep in mind that faith is an act of pride. That's why they're such twats.

sab

Quote from: "Hydra009"

[ Image ]

Ooh I love Joffrey- best character in asoiaf

the_antithesis

Quote from: "sab"
Quote from: "Hydra009"

[ Image ]

Ooh I love Joffrey- best character in asoiaf

How about this guy?

Thumpalumpacus

Wait a minute -- religionists practicing unnuanced thought?

Are you sure?
<insert witty aphorism here>

mykcob4

Atheist don't hate god. They basically ignore it for the myth it is. What Atheist hate is having a god foisted upon them. Explain that to your friend.

MrsSassyPants

Well I fukn hate gods fat ass.  U see I even lower cased it.  Thats how much I hate him.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

Special B

Christians just hate Horus, Zeus, Osiris, Ra, Marduk, Cthulhu...
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan