News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Snow Sucks!

Started by wolf39us, December 14, 2013, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

Snow Sucks!  Some people have a romanticized of this dreadfully cold & wet substance.  Fuck THAT!

Here's what some of you southerners (native) think of Snow

Here's some reality:

Better start digging!!!

stromboli

I live 50 miles from a ski resort. I know what snow looks like.

Solitary

wolf39us, I guess you are not an Alpine skier.  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

mykcob4

Quote from: "wolf39us"Snow Sucks!  Some people have a romanticized of this dreadfully cold & wet substance.  Fuck THAT!

Here's what some of you southerners (native) think of Snow

[ Image ]

Here's some reality:

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Better start digging!!!
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
I live in Dallas so I guess I have to say that I am a southerner...reluctantly.
We got a doze recently of the problems with ice and snow. My mother that visits my dad in a nursing home everyday couldn't drive in the stuuf and it really hurt her and him because they spent 5 days apart due to the weather. I broke my back (metaphoricly) clearing driveways and sidewalks in my neighborhood and my my mom's neighborhood. My 15 year old dog couldn't walk on the ice so he emotionally shut down. I told him he couldn't keep it in(dog poo) for the entire winter. He was going to have to do his business no matter what the weather was outside.
All and all it was a big pain.
The south doesn't do snow and ice well. The roads are not constructed very well. Not only are they undrivable but when the ice clears millions of huge potholes appear. As a rule people in the south can't drive let alone drive on ice and snow. They can't even drive in a hard rain very well. I don't know how many big ass 4 wheel drive trucks I saw wrecked or stuck in the last week or so, but is was quite a few. Add to the fact that redneck assholes that think that they are John Wayne make things even worse. Road rage went off the charts down here. Down here drunk driving isn't a crime its a sport.

Hydra009

A North Carolina winter.

What I expect:

What usually happens:

Cold?  Check.  Obscured sun?  Check.  Snow?  A couple inches, maybe.  (Everyone still freaks out, though.  People ransack the grocery stores the instant the first snowflake hits the ground.  Also, these people drive like idiots over ice)

Mermaid

Snow is awesome. You are clearly not thinking with a clear head.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

wolf39us

Quote from: "Solitary"wolf39us, I guess you are not an Alpine skier.  :lol:  Solitary

I do enjoy snow skiing actually lol.

I've done a ton of it... it was the only thing keeping the joy in an otherwise depressing time of year!

Solitary

I couldn't agree more. I hate snow for various reasons, but for skiing it is heavenly.  :shock:  :lol: Solitary

stromboli

After I got out of the Navy I worked for Provo City as a firefighter. Robert Redford was just then establishing Sundance, the Osmonds were big, and they both owned businesses and properties all around the area, which we were expected to protect. We covered Sundance ski resort with our ambulance and our rescue; the Ski Patrol then wasn't what it is now.

Redford wouldn't pay for the ambulance or medical runs, the Osmonds gave us shit all the time when we inspected their properties for fire code compliance, Redford tooled around in this Corvette lookin' all cool and shit, and Provo was overrun with douches from California lookin' all cool in cowboy hats and sunglasses. Redford is an asshole, the Osmonds are assholes. Fuck him and fuck his smarmy ski resort.

Later at a new job in the Ogden area I taught an advanced first aid class. Most of the people were potential ski patrollers- they had to have the certificate to apply for training. Every one of them was a pissy little douche that wanted to be ski patrollers so they could get free ski time, and wear the jacket and shit.

A few years after that, after going to school and earning my Aircraft welding certification I worked at Hill Air Force Base. One of the people I worked with was a ski patroller. He was a fucking show off dickhead that continually bragged about his skiing skills and walked around wearing Vuarnet "glacier glasses" and his Ski Patrol jacket.

I guess you might get the idea that I am not impressed with Alpine skiiers.

wolf39us

Quote from: "Solitary"I couldn't agree more. I hate snow for various reasons, but for skiing it is heavenly.  :shock:  :lol: Solitary

When I first started learning I was always nervous on the larger slopes.  While trying to learn how to brake with those skis (I was taught to "V" my skis inward to stop/slow down).  There was one time I was trying to learn how to slow down and wasn't cutting my skis enough, unfortunately this meant extreme speed down a busy slope with no way to stop!

Holy shit is that scary! lol

Solitary

Quote from: "wolf39us"
Quote from: "Solitary"I couldn't agree more. I hate snow for various reasons, but for skiing it is heavenly.  :shock:  :lol: Solitary

When I first started learning I was always nervous on the larger slopes.  While trying to learn how to brake with those skis (I was taught to "V" my skis inward to stop/slow down).  There was one time I was trying to learn how to slow down and wasn't cutting my skis enough, unfortunately this meant extreme speed down a busy slope with no way to stop!

Holy shit is that scary! lol

He! He! You're not alone. Going down hill out of control at warp speed is scarier than skydiving, and way more dangerous. When I first started skiing an instructor thought I was experienced because I didn't start until I was 52 years old. When we were learning to snow plow he would stop everyone that didn't do it right accept me. I had no idea how to stop so I just fell down and had to walk a mile on skis to get back to the group.  :lol:  Next time I went after learning before with a young friend that was an extreme skier and former ski instructor. He took me to a steep mogul hill after he saw I was skiing very well. I did everything correctly and made it to the bottom in one piece to my surprise.

He took me to a snowboard only part to show off and had me wait at the bottom until he came down. I heard him yelling and looked up and he was coming through the air about 15 feet high with the ski patrol chasing him. I went straight down the hill and caught up to him in a tuck. When we stopped the Ski Patrol took our passes away. He laughed at them and told them I was a beginner and they couldn't even catch me much less him. We didn't care because we were both wore out. I too hate elitist smug skiers and like snowboarders more than skiers. I had a brand new pair of F3 Head skis that were really fast. I loved skiing until I lost my sense of balance to a pituitary adenoma next to my brain. I have not recovered it back.  :evil:  I'm not kidding when I say it is scarier on steep hills and more dangerous than sky diving even when I did skydiving when younger. Solitary

Solitary

Quote from: "stromboli"After I got out of the Navy I worked for Provo City as a firefighter. Robert Redford was just then establishing Sundance, the Osmonds were big, and they both owned businesses and properties all around the area, which we were expected to protect. We covered Sundance ski resort with our ambulance and our rescue; the Ski Patrol then wasn't what it is now.

Redford wouldn't pay for the ambulance or medical runs, the Osmonds gave us shit all the time when we inspected their properties for fire code compliance, Redford tooled around in this Corvette lookin' all cool and shit, and Provo was overrun with douches from California lookin' all cool in cowboy hats and sunglasses. Redford is an asshole, the Osmonds are assholes. Fuck him and fuck his smarmy ski resort.

Later at a new job in the Ogden area I taught an advanced first aid class. Most of the people were potential ski patrollers- they had to have the certificate to apply for training. Every one of them was a pissy little douche that wanted to be ski patrollers so they could get free ski time, and wear the jacket and shit.

A few years after that, after going to school and earning my Aircraft welding certification I worked at Hill Air Force Base. One of the people I worked with was a ski patroller. He was a fucking show off dickhead that continually bragged about his skiing skills and walked around wearing Vuarnet "glacier glasses" and his Ski Patrol jacket.

I guess you might get the idea that I am not impressed with Alpine skiiers.

Surprisingly I agree with you for the most part.  :wink:  Solitary

DunkleSeele

I love snow and ice! Without them I'd be out of business  :-D

hillbillyatheist

I used to love snow till i came to colorado and had to walk in that shit and stand waiting on buses in it, freezing my ass off, my hair frozen solid, etc. fuck old man winter!
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Shiranu

I love snow, but then I am a very warm person so the cold doesn't bother me.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur