Officer Shoots And Kills Unarmed Texas Student

Started by Shiranu, December 14, 2013, 01:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

[youtube:mlnqu1sc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oQG6Qitmao[/youtube:mlnqu1sc]

Opening note: The evidence is not fully out yet, and I would assume there WAS an altercation between the two that made the cop feel lethal force was necessary. That said...

4-6 shots against an unarmed civilian? Lethal force in the first place against an unarmed person?

What are we training our police for, since it all seems to go out the window? We might as well just give the guns and batons and let them go wild, since they apparently have no problem beating and killing anyone they suspect of being a criminal (even if it's erratic driving or stole his parent's car... better shoot and kill him!).

I'm sorry, United States... but what the fuck? How can we be so. fucking. barbaric. compared to most other civilized countries?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Cops are people.  They get stressed and go off the deep end.  They are constantly being taunted, and they never know if some armed gun nut is going to shoot them.  I'm guessing the cop was on edge.  He draws his gun, partly out of frustration, and the student taunts him with, "Awe, now you're going to shoot me?"  There he is, gun drawn in a show of authority, and he's being taunted one more time.  He's sick of this shit, sick of his job, things aren't going well at home, and it would feel good to stick it to someone who is making fun of him.  BLAMO!  Problem solved.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shiranu"Writer posted a YouTube video

Opening note: The evidence is not fully out yet, and I would assume there WAS an altercation between the two that made the cop feel lethal force was necessary. That said...

4-6 shots against an unarmed civilian? Lethal force in the first place against an unarmed person?

What are we training our police for, since it all seems to go out the window? We might as well just give the guns and batons and let them go wild, since they apparently have no problem beating and killing anyone they suspect of being a criminal (even if it's erratic driving or stole his parent's car... better shoot and kill him!).

I'm sorry, United States... but what the fuck? How can we be so. fucking. barbaric. compared to most other civilized countries?
The officer was acquitted of any crime which makes no sense at all.

Solitary

PCP is a very popular drug now, and if the victim was high on it he would be very hard to stop because they are like zombies and will keep coming even if shot until they die.  There have been cases where people high on PCP were nailed with a tazor and beat with night sticks and still kept fighting. We don't know what really took place, and when you think you are in danger and have a gun you will use it rightly or wrongly. Police are working in reality not a John Wayne movie. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Thumpalumpacus

I understand that cops are fallible humans who sometimes crack under pressure.

What I'm fucking sick of is the "code of silence" that sees uniformed criminals getting away with murder because most cops are afraid to sacrifice their careers by telling the truth.

Also, I think any officer convicted of a crime committed while in uniform should be mandatorily sentenced to twice what a civilian criminal would receive.  

And -- any cop convicted of perjury in an IA investigation should also be subject to that same extension of sentencing. A law enforcement officer subverting justice corrodes respect for the justice system as a whole, and deserves to be treated harshly.  Crime under the color of authority attacks the basis of our system, which is that no one is above the law.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Solitary

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I understand that cops are fallible humans who sometimes crack under pressure.

What I'm fucking sick of is the "code of silence" that sees uniformed criminals getting away with murder because most cops are afraid to sacrifice their careers by telling the truth.

Also, I think any officer convicted of a crime committed while in uniform should be mandatorily sentenced to twice what a civilian criminal would receive.  

And -- any cop convicted of perjury in an IA investigation should also be subject to that same extension of sentencing. A law enforcement officer subverting justice corrodes respect for the justice system as a whole, and deserves to be treated harshly.  Crime under the color of authority attacks the basis of our system, which is that no one is above the law.

I agree, and it is true even in the field of medicine where the AMA and MD's protect the quacks.  :evil:  Solitary

mykcob4

I've always thought that the police investigating the police is a bad idea. That's like BP making sure it complies with laws by regulating itself. Doesn't work never will.
Serpico proved that, not the movie, the real Serpico.

Solitary

If you would like to see why the officer shot that many times at an unarmed man look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAUhKuMN ... gest-vrecs Solitary

Shiranu

So cops get stressed because they work a high stress job & this guy may have had family issues at home and bla bla bla...

Okay, that's nice... but if you are unable to preform as expected at any job, you are subject to face consequences for that. Police shouldn't be an exception anymore than a solider who murders civilians or a CEO who snorts coke and drives to deal with the stress. Yeah, it's fucking stressful as a soldier or CEO... but just because you can understand why they snapped doesn't mean it is therefor legal.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SilentFutility

Jmpty

Quote from: "Solitary"If you would like to see why the officer shot that many times at an unarmed man look at this video:

What does this have to do with a cop shooting an unarmed man? This guy was armed, and he didn't get shot.
???  ??

Solitary

Quote from: "Jmpty"
Quote from: "Solitary"If you would like to see why the officer shot that many times at an unarmed man look at this video:

What does this have to do with a cop shooting an unarmed man? This guy was armed, and he didn't get shot.

Apparently you didn't see the part in the video where the cop shot the man point blank three times and he kept coming and he wasn't armed. Watch the hole damned video before you make comments!  :roll:   :rolleyes: Solitary

Jmpty

It's an hour long. I have things to do. Perhaps you should have just gotten to the point. And, it's "whole," not "hole," by the way.
???  ??