Woman miscarries in prison, made to clean it up

Started by Smartmarzipan, December 13, 2013, 04:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Woman who miscarried in private prison 'made to clean up after herself,' court told
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 02657.html

QuoteA woman who had a miscarriage at a private prison was left to clean up after herself while the foetus remained in her cell, it has been alleged.

Although a nurse was present when remand prisoner Nadine Wright, 37, lost her baby, she says the foetus was left with her afterwards and that she had to clean up the blood.

Her barrister, Philip Gibbs, told Leicester Crown Court: "There was blood everywhere and she was made to clean it up.

"The baby was not removed from the cell. It was quite appalling. It was very traumatic. She only received health care three days later, after the governor intervened."

The incident allegedly took place the day after Wright was taken into custody at HMP Peterborough on 23 November. It was not revealed in court how many months pregnant she was.

Mr Gibbs told the court that Wright had landed in prison after she stole £13.94 worth of food out of desperate hunger as she did not have the money to pay for it because she had not been given benefit payments she was entitled to.

The alleged incident came to light when Wright appeared for sentencing for breach of two court orders in place following previous offences by shoplifting the items and failing to attend appointments with the probation service.

Wright pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 10 months' jail.

Mr Gibbs also attacked the probation service, accusing it of failure to help Wright to receive any benefit payments during the 11 months she was under its supervision.

The lesson here? Don't be poor, steal food, and then go to a private prison. Holyfuckballs, man.

QuoteHMP Peterborough is a category B privately-run prison managed by Sodexo Justice Services.

Sodexo? Why does that sound familiar?

http://sodexousa.com/usen/default.aspx

What is this? A catering company?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodexo_Justice_Services

QuoteSodexo Justice Services (formerly United Kingdom Detention Services and Kalyx), a subsidiary of Sodexo, is a company that provides custodial and post-release facilities for the United Kingdom Home Office. The company changed its name to Sodexo Justice Services in 2011.

Sodexo Justice Services provides services to the Ministry of Justice: particularly design, construction, management and financing of contracts for PFI prisons. In December 2008, it opened a new prison in West Lothian on behalf of the Scottish Prison Service.

Well, I guess it won't be long before we get Wal-Mart Express Prisons.....

What the fuck.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

SilentFutility

Holy shit. Did not think that something like this could happen in a UK prison.

Horrible.

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "SilentFutility"Holy shit. Did not think that something like this could happen in a UK prison.

Horrible.

The more I search, the more horror stories I read about the medical treatment prisoners receive. I mean, as if beatings, rape, and being shanked aren't bad enough, the people put there to take care of you treat you like garbage.

Shiranu

But guys, we are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more civilized at least than those barbarians in the Middle East, Africa and Asia, who beat, rape and harass their prisoners!

:-k

This is a human problem, not a regional problem (not implying anyone here is saying it is, just that I have heard how much better people are treated under Western law). We are just fucked up like that, regardless where you are from.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Thumpalumpacus

I'm calling bullshit.  Europeans are more enlightened than this.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Mister Agenda

Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I'm calling bullshit.  Europeans are more enlightened than this.

LOLNO

:rollin:

Hopist

"Raarghhh!" - Chewbacca, The Empire Strikes Back

Jason78

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I'm calling bullshit.  Europeans are more enlightened than this.
Nope.  Happened in my country and was in all the papers.

I'm ashamed of what is being done in my name for the sake of "Justice".
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Jason78

Quote from: "Shiranu"But guys, we are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more civilized at least than those barbarians in the Middle East, Africa and Asia, who beat, rape and harass their prisoners!

:-k

This is a human problem, not a regional problem (not implying anyone here is saying it is, just that I have heard how much better people are treated under Western law). We are just fucked up like that, regardless where you are from.

Norwegian Prison
American Prison
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

brandta5

"Speaking words of wisdom, let it be."

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "brandta5"Wow. That's terrible.
That signature big enough for you?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Jason78"
Nope.  Happened in my country and was in all the papers.

I'm ashamed of what is being done in my name for the sake of "Justice".

My apologies, I was being sarcastic.

It is a shame.
<insert witty aphorism here>