How many on the forum live with their parents?

Started by mykcob4, December 12, 2013, 09:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shol'va

Quote from: "Aletheia"I sense this is a situation where an assumption about a person's credibility is dependent on the meeting of self-defined criteria of success as though a person's credibility has any effect on the soundness of the advice they offer.

The only way to know if a person's words have merit is to listen to the words themselves and pay less attention to the person's background. If what the person has to say is reasonable and follows the tenets of logic, then it is safe to assume the person just might know what they are talking about. Yes, experience can be helpful, but not every scrap of advice needs to stem from personal experience. Advice would be pointless if the person had to have experience of the situation before being able to listen or give advice on a given situation. I've never been in a hostage situation before, but I can make a reasonable assessment that running toward the guy with the gun with the intent to disarm him will end quite tragically for the average person, since such a person is likely to lack training for the situation.

I don't care about the hypocrisy if the person's words actually carry weight. A 12 year old who has never driven a car can still offer good, solid advice, such as keep your eyes on the road. The advice makes sense in the context of the subject at hand. The 12 year old may not know what it's like to drive just yet, but they can already draw some reasonable conclusions of their own. To dismiss his advice based solely on his lack of experience would be illogical, especially if the advice proves to be reasonable and useful.

You just owned this thread. Very well said!

OP, I get the sense you're being a bit ethnocentric. While it may be common in country X for people to move out by age Y and be accomplished on their own, this does not apply to the same measure and extent in other parts of the world, for reasons that are often out of that person's control and have little to nothing to do with their own determination, ambition, etc.

LE: oops, I somehow managed to miss 2 pages of posts o.0

mykcob4

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "mykcob4"Ah you are wrong on so many levels. You had a choice to not post on this thread, but you decided to post on it. That is about you not I.

No.  That was my comment on your behavior.  This is about us as people, both you and me. It is that way because you had a  choice to not post this thread at all ... yet you did.  You're dragging around your irritation.  Nothing good comes from that.

You've yet to learn that age is but a number.  The only thing more years gives a person is the opportunity to learn. I read the exchange between you and Shiranu in the other thread, where you tried to discredit him based on his age, and quite simply, he is absolutely right: there's no real correspondence between age and intelligence (or wisdom, if you care to define that).

Clearly, some people are more adept than others at absorbing life's lessons. What takes one person a day might take another a week, yet another a month, and even others who may never learn the same lesson before they die.

One thing I learned is to listen to young folk, because often a fresh perspective is a terrific learning experience.  I often disagree with Shiranu, but he seems a hell of a lot smarter at 23 than I was -- I'm 47 now.  I read his posts, and those of others much younger than myself, for the same reason that I listen intently to my 16-year-old son's views: because I don't want a fossilized brain.  I've still got a lot to learn, and those lessons might come from anyone in the world.

Life's too short to buy into broad generalizations.
Well you fail to comprehend anything about what I am doing here. So yes you are dead wrong.
That being said this has nothing to do with the other thread at all.
You are trying to be superior via being condescending. That must have been a successful tactic for you in the past but I can't be intimidated.
Don't even think that you can lecture me on age or anything. I have a vast experience in dealing with young people. I spent 2 of my 22+ years as a drill instructor in the USMC.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shol'va"
Quote from: "Aletheia"I sense this is a situation where an assumption about a person's credibility is dependent on the meeting of self-defined criteria of success as though a person's credibility has any effect on the soundness of the advice they offer.

The only way to know if a person's words have merit is to listen to the words themselves and pay less attention to the person's background. If what the person has to say is reasonable and follows the tenets of logic, then it is safe to assume the person just might know what they are talking about. Yes, experience can be helpful, but not every scrap of advice needs to stem from personal experience. Advice would be pointless if the person had to have experience of the situation before being able to listen or give advice on a given situation. I've never been in a hostage situation before, but I can make a reasonable assessment that running toward the guy with the gun with the intent to disarm him will end quite tragically for the average person, since such a person is likely to lack training for the situation.

I don't care about the hypocrisy if the person's words actually carry weight. A 12 year old who has never driven a car can still offer good, solid advice, such as keep your eyes on the road. The advice makes sense in the context of the subject at hand. The 12 year old may not know what it's like to drive just yet, but they can already draw some reasonable conclusions of their own. To dismiss his advice based solely on his lack of experience would be illogical, especially if the advice proves to be reasonable and useful.

You just owned this thread. Very well said!

OP, I get the sense you're being a bit ethnocentric. While it may be common in country X for people to move out by age Y and be accomplished on their own, this does not apply to the same measure and extent in other parts of the world, for reasons that are often out of that person's control and have little to nothing to do with their own determination, ambition, etc.

LE: oops, I somehow managed to miss 2 pages of posts o.0
Because you missed those pages you missed a great deal which is why your post isn't correct.
"Ethnocentric?" You couldn't be further from the truth.
I have been all over the world and dealt with many many cultures. One common denominator is self reliance. How you achieve that and in what way it is engrained in your culture are vastly different in different places. That is beside the point of the thread.

Shol'va

Then I have to ask where your 4) came from and why.
But, as you said, the thread had already gone in a different direction. Your #4 is what made me say you appear to be coming off as being ethnocentric.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shol'va"Then I have to ask where your 4) came from and why.
But, as you said, the thread had already gone in a different direction. Your #4 is what made me say you appear to be coming off as being ethnocentric.
I admit that it was bait. I already have apologized for that.
It was a tool to get people to reply instead of ignore. And in my responses to them I could exercise the true diplomacy of my nature.

Shol'va

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "mykcob4"Well you fail to comprehend anything about what I am doing here. So yes you are dead wrong.
You are trying to be superior via being condescending. That must have been a successful tactic for you in the past but I can't be intimidated.
Don't even think that you can lecture me on age or anything. I have a vast experience in dealing with young people. I spent 2 of my 22+ years as a drill instructor in the USMC.

I don't give a shit what you've done, or haven't done.  Nor do I care what you think I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to communicate with you, but you're clearly not receptive, so I won't waste any more time on you. *plonk*
<insert witty aphorism here>

mykcob4

Quote from: "mykcob4"Well you fail to comprehend anything about what I am doing here. So yes you are dead wrong.

I don't give a shit what you've done, or haven't done.  Nor do I care what you think I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to communicate with you, but you're clearly not receptive, so I won't waste any more time on you. *plonk*
If you want to communicate quit being so childish. You first posted on this thread with insults and assumptions. You continued then attempted a condescending rant. Well pal it didn't work and won't work.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "mykcob4"If you want to communicate quit being so childish. You first posted on this thread with insults and assumptions. You continued then attempted a condescending rant. Well pal it didn't work and won't work.

You'll either get what I've said, or you won't, and in either event, it's no skin off my ass.  Have a nice evening, and I hope tomorrow's a better day for you.

mykcob4

Quote from: "mykcob4"If you want to communicate quit being so childish. You first posted on this thread with insults and assumptions. You continued then attempted a condescending rant. Well pal it didn't work and won't work.

You'll either get what I've said, or you won't, and in either event, it's no skin off my ass.  Have a nice evening, and I hope tomorrow's a better day for you.
Alright I am going to try this again for your sake.
This thread is not about another thread at all. It was a tool that I explained in subsequint post after my OP. I apologize for the small deception. I hope you understand.
I know all about youth and everything that attempted to say, so it isn't necessary to develope an arguement about it.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "mykcob4"

Alright I am going to try this again for your sake.
This thread is not about another thread at all. It was a tool that I explained in subsequint post after my OP. I apologize for the small deception. I hope you understand.
I know all about youth and everything that attempted to say, so it isn't necessary to develope an arguement about it.

lol, you admit to "deception", and still complain about being misunderstood.

Maybe next time, you'll think before you post.

mykcob4

Quote from: ThumpalumpacusI'm not complaining at all. You just want a fight, which makes NO sense whatsoever.

frosty

Quote from: "mykcob4"Ah you are wrong on so many levels. You had a choice to not post on this thread, but you decided to post on it. That is about you not I.
One thing I learned is to listen to young folk, because often a fresh perspective is a terrific learning experience.  I often disagree with Shiranu, but he seems a hell of a lot smarter at 23 than I was -- I'm 47 now.  I read his posts, and those of others much younger than myself, for the same reason that I listen intently to my 16-year-old son's views: because I don't want a fossilized brain.  I've still got a lot to learn, and those lessons might come from anyone in the world.

Life's too short to buy into broad generalizations.

I don't want to make this thread about me, even though I'm a self-centered asshole, but yes his posts seem very thought out and it's not fair to judge someone's entire life based on digits they have acquired. I am 21 and I have noticed that young and old people share stupidity in very common and similar ways. The person is what defeats stupidity, not the age. It seems Shiranu, even though he is older than me, has already defeated the mistake that I made in years past, which is to get too easily discouraged by other people's behaviors and what they say or do to you. I still feel it is far too young to give up now but that sense of defeat when you've given up on people so young and you see no hope for the future is an absolutely terrible feeling. Overall, the point is, is that even though he is considered young he has a pulse and words to back it up and in a way I envy that.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "mykcob4"I'm not complaining at all. You just want a fight, which makes NO sense whatsoever.

No, I don't.  I'm just making an observation based on your behavior.  I'm certainly not going to argue with you over the obvious.