How many on the forum live with their parents?

Started by mykcob4, December 12, 2013, 09:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"I live on the family farm, pay my dues, and do what's expected of me by the family.

For most cultures it's actually quite normal to live with your extended family for most of your life. This idea that you must strike out on your own is relatively uncommon and, in my opinion, kind of silly.
Who ever said that it is my opinion  or idea that you MUST strike out on your own.
Anyway as I explained it isn't the intent of the thread to judge YOU. If you read through the responses I have given to the replies you will see what my TRUE intent is.
I wasn't really responding to you specifically, it's just sentiment I tend to notice in these sorts of threads.

It is sort of implied by how you worded the OP, though, particularly, "I see a number of people that like to tell people 'how it is' yet they can't know how it is because they have never had to take care of themselves." There is an implication here that reliance only upon oneself is a criterion for being able to tell people "how it is," when that is simply not the case.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shiranu"
QuoteYou think that I am going to judge you. You think that that is my intent for this thread. The fact is that this is a thread designed by me to see how people perceive and judge me by the WAY I typically post. It isn't a trap to bait you or anyone in a fight or an arguement.

Fair enough, that's just very common so I try and play it safe.
I have nothing against you personnally. Hell I don't even know you. I see things differently and thats the spice that makes the world go 'round.
I am blunt, hard, even gruff in my manner. Probably more so on the net. It doesn't mean that I don't listen or read. I hear you.
Yeah, I'm older, and yeah I have a particular prejudice against some youthful things, but it isn't a generational thing at all. It is a given that everyone as they grow older comes to understand what I have come to understand. Just like I will come to understand what people before me already know.
I can learn from you as well. I'm painfully and fully aware of that fact. I see that everyone has value and what they express has merit...'cept for maybe whatshername batshit crazy russian troll mormon.
Anyway this was a selfish thread to get a perspective on how people read my post and nothing more.
Not sayin' that I can or will change the way I post, but at least I might get an insight of how people see them.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"I live on the family farm, pay my dues, and do what's expected of me by the family.

For most cultures it's actually quite normal to live with your extended family for most of your life. This idea that you must strike out on your own is relatively uncommon and, in my opinion, kind of silly.
Who ever said that it is my opinion  or idea that you MUST strike out on your own.
Anyway as I explained it isn't the intent of the thread to judge YOU. If you read through the responses I have given to the replies you will see what my TRUE intent is.
I wasn't really responding to you specifically, it's just sentiment I tend to notice in these sorts of threads.

It is sort of implied by how you worded the OP, though, particularly, "I see a number of people that like to tell people 'how it is' yet they can't know how it is because they have never had to take care of themselves." There is an implication here that reliance only upon oneself is a criterion for being able to tell people "how it is," when that is simply not the case.
Ah but if you are taking care of yourself, and whatever that really means and to what degree is the crucial point IF that were actually the point of the thread. And it isn't. Sorry for the deception, not really sorry but an apology is required.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Aletheia"
Quote from: "mykcob4"Heres why I ask this question. I see a number of people that like to tell people "how it is" yet they can't know how it is because they have never had to take care of themselves. Yes it is a leading question to ferret out some hypocracy.

I sense this is a situation where an assumption about a person's credibility is dependent on the meeting of self-defined criteria of success as though a person's credibility has any effect on the soundness of the advice they offer.

The only way to know if a person's words have merit is to listen to the words themselves and pay less attention to the person's background. If what the person has to say is reasonable and follows the tenets of logic, then it is safe to assume the person just might know what they are talking about. Yes, experience can be helpful, but not every scrap of advice needs to stem from personal experience. Advice would be pointless if the person had to have experience of the situation before being able to listen or give advice on a given situation. I've never been in a hostage situation before, but I can make a reasonable assessment that running toward the guy with the gun with the intent to disarm him will end quite tragically for the average person, since such a person is likely to lack training for the situation.

I don't care about the hypocrisy if the person's words actually carry weight. A 12 year old who has never driven a car can still offer good, solid advice, such as keep your eyes on the road. The advice makes sense in the context of the subject at hand. The 12 year old may not know what it's like to drive just yet, but they can already draw some reasonable conclusions of their own. To dismiss his advice based solely on his lack of experience would be illogical, especially if the advice proves to be reasonable and useful.
Well I could argue the point BUt as you will see there is another reason that I started this thread.

Sal1981

Quote from: "mykcob4"1) Do you pay rent?
Yes.

Quote from: "mykcob4"2) Do you parents pay for your existance or help subsidize it in anyway or completely?
Nope, been independent since I 17 ... I was more or less forced to leave actually.

Quote from: "mykcob4"3) How old are you?

Quote from: "mykcob4"4) If you live with your parents or a parent and you're over 21....why?
N/A

Sal1981

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"

I agree, that is akin to Poisoning the Well.

Jason78

Quote from: "mykcob4"I wonder how many on the forum and who they are, actually live with their parents.
And heres the follow up questions to that:
1) Do you pay rent?
2) Do you parents pay for your existance or help subsidize it in anyway or completely?
3) How old are you?
4) If you live with your parents or a parent and you're over 21....why?

Yes I rent my own place.  No. Old enough.  My brother lives with my dad, it's convenient for helping out with the family and there's nothing wrong with that.  I don't understand why you're trying to imply that there is.

Quote from: "mykcob4"I'll go first.
1) I have and own my own house so no I don't pay rent.
2) No, I actually pay for my parents subsistance. My father is in a nursing home and I also own the house my mom lives in. I don't charge her rent.
3) I'm 56.
4) Not applicable to me.

Heres why I ask this question. I see a number of people that like to tell people "how it is" yet they can't know how it is because they have never had to take care of themselves. Yes it is a leading question to ferret out some hypocracy.

You own your own house?  I'm guessing that you don't live in the UK!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

I'm 27 and provider for my own family, and I have my own home . :roll:

Not that any of that really matters.

AllPurposeAtheist

Meh..haven't lived with my parents for many years, well over 25, but did live with my daughter 1 year which nearly drove us apart so I moved to a homeless shelter.
Peoples lives change for multitudes of reasons, some their own fault, sometimes not.
Nobody here ought be pointing fingers here at anyone much less arguing over such petty matters. It devalues this forum and drives people away.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Aupmanyav

I lived with my father till he was alive (my mother is still with us. We are two brothers). My son is 40. He has lived with us all his life. Recently we have moved to his new house. I do not have many years left (71). Tradition.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Mister Agenda

I don't live with my parents.

1. No, I make a mortgage payement.
2. No.
3. 52
4. NA

Quote from: "mykcob4"The fact is that this is a thread designed by me to see how people perceive and judge me by the WAY I typically post.

Your posts are the only thing we can use to perceive and judge you because they are all we know about you.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

wolf39us

I've been out of the house since  I was 19... But briefly (1 year) had to return due to a rather unfortunate breakup that screwed with my head for awhile.

Found a roommate and moved to Florida and was back on my feet at 23!

I have a Condo and pay rent and receive no subsidies.

I'm 27 years old now

Solitary

Quote from: "Solitary"My youngest son who is 43 lives with my wife and I, and is married to a sweet heart in the Netherlands and was unable to go back because of health problems.  :(  Solitary
I wasn't asking about your son sir. I understand paople have different situations. This thread is about motivations not situations.
I have a friend in California that is nearly forty that lives with his parents. I don't judge him for that situation at all, just as I don't judge the homeless.

I realize you weren't talking about my son, but I would think his medical problems are a motivation, and I posted it because I thought that was what you were looking for, why people live at home.  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "Solitary"My youngest son who is 43 lives with my wife and I, and is married to a sweet heart in the Netherlands and was unable to go back because of health problems.  :(  Solitary
I wasn't asking about your son sir. I understand paople have different situations. This thread is about motivations not situations.
I have a friend in California that is nearly forty that lives with his parents. I don't judge him for that situation at all, just as I don't judge the homeless.

I realize you weren't talking about my son, but I would think his medical problems are a motivation, and I posted it because I thought that was what you were looking for, why people live at home.  :roll:  Solitary
I know enough about you to understand that there is a logic reason for everything that you do.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "mykcob4"Ah you are wrong on so many levels. You had a choice to not post on this thread, but you decided to post on it. That is about you not I.

No.  That was my comment on your behavior.  This is about us as people, both you and me. It is that way because you had a  choice to not post this thread at all ... yet you did.  You're dragging around your irritation.  Nothing good comes from that.

You've yet to learn that age is but a number.  The only thing more years gives a person is the opportunity to learn. I read the exchange between you and Shiranu in the other thread, where you tried to discredit him based on his age, and quite simply, he is absolutely right: there's no real correspondence between age and intelligence (or wisdom, if you care to define that).

Clearly, some people are more adept than others at absorbing life's lessons. What takes one person a day might take another a week, yet another a month, and even others who may never learn the same lesson before they die.

One thing I learned is to listen to young folk, because often a fresh perspective is a terrific learning experience.  I often disagree with Shiranu, but he seems a hell of a lot smarter at 23 than I was -- I'm 47 now.  I read his posts, and those of others much younger than myself, for the same reason that I listen intently to my 16-year-old son's views: because I don't want a fossilized brain.  I've still got a lot to learn, and those lessons might come from anyone in the world.

Life's too short to buy into broad generalizations.
<insert witty aphorism here>