How many on the forum live with their parents?

Started by mykcob4, December 12, 2013, 09:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mykcob4

I wonder how many on the forum and who they are, actually live with their parents.
And heres the follow up questions to that:
1) Do you pay rent?
2) Do you parents pay for your existance or help subsidize it in anyway or completely?
3) How old are you?
4) If you live with your parents or a parent and you're over 21....why?

I'll go first.
1) I have and own my own house so no I don't pay rent.
2) No, I actually pay for my parents subsistance. My father is in a nursing home and I also own the house my mom lives in. I don't charge her rent.
3) I'm 56.
4) Not applicable to me.

Heres why I ask this question. I see a number of people that like to tell people "how it is" yet they can't know how it is because they have never had to take care of themselves. Yes it is a leading question to ferret out some hypocracy.

Solitary

My youngest son who is 43 lives with my wife and I, and is married to a sweet heart in the Netherlands and was unable to go back because of health problems.  :(  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Thumpalumpacus

Here, I think you need this:

You might be fifty-six, but you're acting fourteen, carrying your argument onto the wider forum.

As for my personal information, blow me.  Address Shiranu's point on its merits.
<insert witty aphorism here>

stromboli

Got nothing against you mykcob, but I agree with Thumpalumpacus. We don't need to turn this into a butt hurt contest.

AllPurposeAtheist

Personally I don't care what living arrangements people have or how much money anyone else has or not.
Financial status has zero bearing on anyones sense of right or wrong or ability to make sense of the world.
For someone who professes such liberalism you're giving off quite a different vibe mykcob.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

I'll answer under the belief that you will then respond to my examples of old people being out wised by pre-teens.

1. When I am employed, yes. As it stands I am currently in the process of moving, so I am unemployed and lack a source of income to do so.

2. My mum helps, yeah.

3. 23, which is irrelevant because different cultures have different ideas on how long a family should stay together. Some kick them out at 18, others let them stay for much longer.

4. Several reasons...

A. Economics. I am not in a relationship nor have a roommate to split the price of an apartment with, as well as our house being paid for so all I have to help pay for is utilities/food.
B. My mum is up there in years and has no family other than me that aren't hundreds and hundreds and miles away. She has fallen a couple of times lately and I don't want to leave her to live by herself while she knows pretty much no one. When I move, I plan on moving several states away... so I want her to be settled and know people before I'm gone. As much of an asshole as she is, she is still my mum and I care for her.

So, there you go. Now, please tell me how my "opinion" was wrong, and that all older people are wiser than anyone younger than them. I have provided several examples to the contrary in the other thread if you want to see why I consider it less of an opinion or more a simple statement of reality.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

I live on the family farm, pay my dues, and do what's expected of me by the family.

For most cultures it's actually quite normal to live with your extended family for most of your life. This idea that you must strike out on your own is relatively uncommon and, in my opinion, kind of silly.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

mykcob4

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Here, I think you need this:

[ Image ]

You might be fifty-six, but you're acting fourteen, carrying your argument onto the wider forum.

As for my personal information, blow me.  Address Shiranu's point on its merits.
Ah you are wrong on so many levels. You had a choice to not post on this thread, but you decided to post on it. That is about you not I.

mykcob4

Quote from: "stromboli"Got nothing against you mykcob, but I agree with Thumpalumpacus. We don't need to turn this into a butt hurt contest.
He's wrong about the thread and it's not the contest that you describe.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Solitary"My youngest son who is 43 lives with my wife and I, and is married to a sweet heart in the Netherlands and was unable to go back because of health problems.  :(  Solitary
I wasn't asking about your son sir. I understand paople have different situations. This thread is about motivations not situations.
I have a friend in California that is nearly forty that lives with his parents. I don't judge him for that situation at all, just as I don't judge the homeless.

Aletheia

Quote from: "mykcob4"Heres why I ask this question. I see a number of people that like to tell people "how it is" yet they can't know how it is because they have never had to take care of themselves. Yes it is a leading question to ferret out some hypocracy.

I sense this is a situation where an assumption about a person's credibility is dependent on the meeting of self-defined criteria of success as though a person's credibility has any effect on the soundness of the advice they offer.

The only way to know if a person's words have merit is to listen to the words themselves and pay less attention to the person's background. If what the person has to say is reasonable and follows the tenets of logic, then it is safe to assume the person just might know what they are talking about. Yes, experience can be helpful, but not every scrap of advice needs to stem from personal experience. Advice would be pointless if the person had to have experience of the situation before being able to listen or give advice on a given situation. I've never been in a hostage situation before, but I can make a reasonable assessment that running toward the guy with the gun with the intent to disarm him will end quite tragically for the average person, since such a person is likely to lack training for the situation.

I don't care about the hypocrisy if the person's words actually carry weight. A 12 year old who has never driven a car can still offer good, solid advice, such as keep your eyes on the road. The advice makes sense in the context of the subject at hand. The 12 year old may not know what it's like to drive just yet, but they can already draw some reasonable conclusions of their own. To dismiss his advice based solely on his lack of experience would be illogical, especially if the advice proves to be reasonable and useful.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

mykcob4

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Personally I don't care what living arrangements people have or how much money anyone else has or not.
Financial status has zero bearing on anyones sense of right or wrong or ability to make sense of the world.
For someone who professes such liberalism you're giving off quite a different vibe mykcob.
It is my intention to prove your very point. As for my vibe, that is up to each individual how they take it, which is the experiment in the first place.
I don't care how much money anyone makes....AT ALL.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shiranu"I'll answer under the belief that you will then respond to my examples of old people being out wised by pre-teens.

1. When I am employed, yes. As it stands I am currently in the process of moving, so I am unemployed and lack a source of income to do so.

2. My mum helps, yeah.

3. 23, which is irrelevant because different cultures have different ideas on how long a family should stay together. Some kick them out at 18, others let them stay for much longer.

4. Several reasons...

A. Economics. I am not in a relationship nor have a roommate to split the price of an apartment with, as well as our house being paid for so all I have to help pay for is utilities/food.
B. My mum is up there in years and has no family other than me that aren't hundreds and hundreds and miles away. She has fallen a couple of times lately and I don't want to leave her to live by herself while she knows pretty much no one. When I move, I plan on moving several states away... so I want her to be settled and know people before I'm gone. As much of an asshole as she is, she is still my mum and I care for her.

So, there you go. Now, please tell me how my "opinion" was wrong, and that all older people are wiser than anyone younger than them. I have provided several examples to the contrary in the other thread if you want to see why I consider it less of an opinion or more a simple statement of reality.
So we get to it. You think that I am going to judge you. You think that that is my intent for this thread. The fact is that this is a thread designed by me to see how people perceive and judge me by the WAY I typically post. It isn't a trap to bait you or anyone in a fight or an arguement.
As far as the information I asked for, I am not REALLY interested in it at all as it makes no bearing on anything.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"I live on the family farm, pay my dues, and do what's expected of me by the family.

For most cultures it's actually quite normal to live with your extended family for most of your life. This idea that you must strike out on your own is relatively uncommon and, in my opinion, kind of silly.
Who ever said that it is my opinion  or idea that you MUST strike out on your own.
Anyway as I explained it isn't the intent of the thread to judge YOU. If you read through the responses I have given to the replies you will see what my TRUE intent is.

Shiranu

QuoteYou think that I am going to judge you. You think that that is my intent for this thread. The fact is that this is a thread designed by me to see how people perceive and judge me by the WAY I typically post. It isn't a trap to bait you or anyone in a fight or an arguement.

Fair enough, that's just very common so I try and play it safe.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur