News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Regarding "Pure Physical Attraction"

Started by zarus tathra, December 09, 2013, 11:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Strange, I love my dad. I couldn't love him more if I tried, but he's an 85 year old man.  I gotta tell you.. I don't find my 85 year old dad physically attractive. He'd probably hit me if I even joked about it to him too.. :lol:

Are you sayin' "he'd hit it"?   :shock:
Uhhh..no. :-|
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shol'va

Quote from: "zarus tathra"My point was that physical attraction generally leads to caring about somebody's well-being, at least more than you care about normal people. I don't see how the attachment you feel for your dog factors into that.
You said it right there. "Generally", meaning in most cases. Is there any supportive argument other than personal opinion? Given the amount of casual sex that goes on in college and doesn't result in any type of meaningful relationships, and also considering the amount of anonymous sex, one night stands, etc etc, I would actually argue it does not "generally", but occasionally lead to caring, etc.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Strange, I love my dad. I couldn't love him more if I tried, but he's an 85 year old man.  I gotta tell you.. I don't find my 85 year old dad physically attractive. He'd probably hit me if I even joked about it to him too.. :lol:

Are you sayin' "he'd hit it"?   :shock:
Uhhh..no. :-|

Sorry, couldn't help it.   :-D

At least you can't hit me.
<insert witty aphorism here>

zarus tathra

"Generally" is a very imprecise term, I admit.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Shol'va

It may very well be, but "generally" pretty much means the vast majority, or at least majority to the extent that anything contrary is a minor exception. So the argument then becomes that sex almost always leads to attachment.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "zarus tathra"I really can't see too much difference between "love" and "physical attraction." I mean, if you're deeply physically attracted to somebody, wouldn't you pretty much automatically care about them a lot more than you care about 99% of people? You'd want them to be healthy, wealthy, and happy even when you couldn't care less about everybody else. This is true even for "purely selfish" people.

There's obviously something to be said for someone who supports your hobbies and dreams and stuff, but the difference between "true love" and "lust" seems to be about like a tenth of a radian, they're not by any means opposites the way the moralists would claim.

"Love" and physical attraction are two different things, but physical attraction does play a large part in love. In my mind love is sort of a combination between physical attraction and mental attraction. I obviously want someone who is physically attractive to me (otherwise sex would suck or just be a "when I'm drunk" sorta thing), but I don't want someone with a shitty personality. I made that mistake with the preacher's son: great looks, fucking horrid abusive personality.

Basically, in my mind at least, true love has to have physical attraction as well as compatible personalities.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

mykcob4

Quote from: "zarus tathra"I really can't see too much difference between "love" and "physical attraction." I mean, if you're deeply physically attracted to somebody, wouldn't you pretty much automatically care about them a lot more than you care about 99% of people? You'd want them to be healthy, wealthy, and happy even when you couldn't care less about everybody else. This is true even for "purely selfish" people.

There's obviously something to be said for someone who supports your hobbies and dreams and stuff, but the difference between "true love" and "lust" seems to be about like a tenth of a radian, they're not by any means opposites the way the moralists would claim.
If you have never really been in love then you don't understand the difference between that and just physical attraction. The fact is when you love someone unconditionally and they you it doesn't matter what they look like or any other superficial factor.

Jason78

Quote from: "zarus tathra"I really can't see too much difference between "love" and "physical attraction."

If you can't see a rose as beautiful without wanting to fuck it, please stay away from my rose bushes.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato