News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The male pill? Bring it on

Started by Jason78, December 07, 2013, 07:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

The male pill? Bring it on

QuoteThe male contraceptive pill is in the news again, and, having done two years' of clinical trials, I hope this time it will really happen.

It is for commercial and social reasons that the male pill is not yet available, not scientific ones – the drug companies think men won't be interested, and they think women won't trust men who say: "Don't worry, darling, I'm on the pill." But my experience, albeit more than a decade ago, was largely positive, and those attitudes are seriously outdated.

Apparently the reason we don't have the pill is because drug companies don't think we'd take it!  I for one think this is a fantastic drug for protecting men.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

wolf39us

I've got your protection right here

_Xenu_

Are you sure there aren't any side effects that will annoy your partner?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

SGOS

Quote from: "Jason78"
QuoteApparently the reason we don't have the pill is because drug companies don't think we'd take it!  I for one think this is a fantastic drug for protecting men.
A woman has no more reason to trust a man who claims to be on the pill than a man has to trust a woman.  The consequences of pregnancy are greater for the woman but a high degree of consequence also exists for men.  Caution in sex must be exercised at all times by both men and women who want to avoid pregnancy.  If you don't know your partner well, trust is unwarranted in either case.

Profit and capitalism trump healthcare and our ability to control our lives. It's a normal part of capitalism.  I assume this is the reason that American quality of health falls below that of more socialized western countries when statistical comparisons are made.  But I digress.

It is for commercial and social reasons that the male pill is not yet available, not scientific ones – the drug companies think men won't be interested, and they think women won't trust men who say: "Don't worry, darling, I'm on the pill.".

_Xenu_

Want to take another stab at that, Wolfy?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

SGOS

Quote from: "_Xenu_"Want to take another stab at that, Wolfy?
Weird.  As the site designer he must have a button that allows him to edit the posts of others.  I'm guessing he used it by mistake to respond to my post, thinking he was using the normal editor function.

wolf39us

I might have misinterpreted your post...  I wasn't responding to you -- your quote tags were messed up

SGOS

Quote from: "wolf39us"I might have misinterpreted your post...  I wasn't responding to you -- your quote tags were messed up
WHAT!??  Me mess up??  That's impossible!  :-D

Mister Agenda

Hmm. My recollection with past attempts at this is that the drugs had serious, weird, or ironic side-effects. The male reproductive system is relatively simple in comparison to the female's (at least for humans), which makes it harder to disable. Past attempts have had side effects like turning your eyes orange if you drink alcohol or impotence...which is a really effective way to prevent impregnation but it's understandable why they think it might not be popular...or permanent sterility. Those sound like scientific reasons previous 'male pills' have not been made commercially available sooner.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

AllPurposeAtheist

Few men feel they should be held accountable for actually participating in raising their own offspring physically or financially and for the most part governments and courts look the other way leaving the job to women. Fix that issue and the male pill will sell better than food. We might have the NFL and FIFA with the sole sponsors being male pill manufactures.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

As Eve said: "It takes two minds to make a human."  :shock:  :Hangman:  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Icarus

Quote from: "Jason78"Apparently the reason we don't have the pill is because drug companies don't think we'd take it!  I for one think this is a fantastic drug for protecting men.

The last time the pill was scrapped because it had terrible side effects with alcohol. If they've developed a new drug that won't react with alcohol we may have a winner.

The Skeletal Atheist

Oh great, something I don't need....

Put it in the water supply.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Few men feel they should be held accountable for actually participating in raising their own offspring physically or financially and for the most part governments and courts look the other way leaving the job to women. Fix that issue and the male pill will sell better than food. We might have the NFL and FIFA with the sole sponsors being male pill manufactures.

While I would agree to "there are men who feel ..." I think you're letting ideology cloud reason when you say "Few men would...".

Or you need a better class of associates.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

AllPurposeAtheist

You must not get out much Jason.. I raised my kids and applaud men who do care for their kids, but there are probably more who don't and won't.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.