Why on earth would you steal a truck carrying nuclear waste?

Started by Plu, December 06, 2013, 03:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

It's really beyond me, but I simply cannot feel sorry for the people who did just that and are probably going to die from radio-active poisoning  :rolleyes:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... k-of-dying

Jutter

That begs the question. Did the thiefs know what was in the truck when they stole it?
Thefts like this have ocurred before, and it always appears to be the truck they were after, unaware of it's radioactive load.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Jason78

QuoteWhy on earth would you steal a truck carrying nuclear waste?
Shits and giggles?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hopist

QuoteHe said those who exposed themselves to the pellets could not contaminate others.

Is this really true?

What about intimate contact, saliva exchange etc
"Raarghhh!" - Chewbacca, The Empire Strikes Back

Plu

Radiation tears right through you, fucking up your body in the proces. These people aren't radioactive, they just have all sorts of internal bleeding and cancers going on in their bodies.

Unless they swallowed some of the pellets, but then they'd be dead for sure.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "Plu"Radiation tears right through you, fucking up your body in the proces. These people aren't radioactive, they just have all sorts of internal bleeding and cancers going on in their bodies.

Unless they swallowed some of the pellets, but then they'd be dead for sure.

You can't smell it, you can't see it, you can't taste it, and you can't hear it. But it's there
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Plu

QuoteYou can't smell it, you can't see it, you can't taste it, and you can't hear it.

But you can measure it, so it's still more real than many other things that you can't see, smell, taste or hear :P

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Jutter"That begs the question. Did the thiefs know what was in the truck when they stole it?
Thefts like this have ocurred before, and it always appears to be the truck they were after, unaware of it's radioactive load.

OTOH, if they knew what was in the truck, perhaps they were after nuclear material to make a dirty bomb. That might be farfetched, but it can't be ruled out.

stromboli

From what I read, they were likely stealing the truck because it had a crane on it. The concern was that the radioactive material, Cobalt 60, could be used to make a dirty bomb. So it is likely that the perpetrators are dead or dying, since they apparently exposed themselves to the material.

AllPurposeAtheist

This may have been the least smart thing they ever did, but I still kind of feel almost sorry for them despite being thieves.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: "Jutter"That begs the question. Did the thiefs know what was in the truck when they stole it?
That would be my guess in this situation.

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteYou can't smell it, you can't see it, you can't taste it, and you can't hear it.

But you can measure it, so it's still more real than many other things that you can't see, smell, taste or hear :P
You mean like the internal personal Godometers some people claim to have inside their heads?... or hearts, or something.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Hopist"
QuoteHe said those who exposed themselves to the pellets could not contaminate others.

Is this really true?

What about intimate contact, saliva exchange etc

Yes, this is really true. The exposure to radiation would have caused irreversible damage to their tissues and the way their bodies function, it is this damage that will kill them, they are not still being irradiated nor emitting radiation themselves, in the same way that if you are severely burnt by a fire you cannot pass on this tissue damage to someone else a day or two later, but the physical trauma of the burns can still kill you. In very simple terms, think of being exposed to high levels of radiaton like this as being similar to the physical trauma of being burnt but on a very small scale in the individual cells of your body.

As others have said, they likely wanted the truck and either did not realise it was carrying radioactive material or did not realise how dangerous it was.

stromboli

As it was explained to me in the Navy, start out with a very bad case of the flu, rapidly progressing to bleeding out of your eyeballs and then barfing up your guts. Literally. But that was Tritium. this may be different.