News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheism is a Religion . . . . but a good one.

Started by Buddhist Alternative, December 03, 2013, 09:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote"If God did not require being created, logic dictates that the Universe did not require being created either" – Michael Shermer. My rebuttal is that the Universe is composed of Matter, Energy, Gravity, Time and Space; all of which require being created.
They do?  News to me.

QuoteConsciousness however is still a mystery. In fact, if you're a follower of the Niels Bohr Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, it is Consciousness that creates Matter.
QM is a little out of my pay grade, but I'm pretty sure that's not actually how it works.

QuoteA Supreme Consciousness may very well indeed not have required being created.
And what evidence do we have of this?   :-k

QuoteTo those whose explanation of Consciousness is that the Human Brain is so complex that Consciousness 'somehow' evolved; you should know that using the word 'somehow' poses a lot of philosophical problems and questions. For example, Immanuel Kant in 'The Critique Of Pure Reason' surmised that Space and Time are only the relationship of one object to another; but, if we did not have the concept of Space and Time 'A Priori' in our Minds before we were born, we would not have been able to relate one sense impression to another. There would be no Awareness or Consciousness.
The human brain couldn't have evolved because ???   :-?

And what, pray tell, makes the human brain special?

QuoteWhen I talk with some of my Atheist friends, who I highly regard, I always assert that both positions on the existence of God require a Leap of Faith. Whenever I state that I always get what I call 'The Tooth-Fairy' rebuttal.
This is an odd assertion to say the least.  Odder still that only God requires this strange and atypical burden of proof.

QuoteMy friends will state that they cannot prove or disprove the existence of the tooth fairy. However, they are still not going to believe in the existence of the tooth fairy until there is substantive scientific evidence. My answer to that is: If you want to stay up all night outside your kid's bedroom after one of them loses a tooth; and the tooth fairy never shows up – you can reasonably assert that there is no tooth fairy. What you can't do is to go back in Time to the Big Bang and from a position outside the Universe observe the Big Bang and then state: 'I was there at the Big Bang and I can tell you that there was no Supreme Consciousness. The whole thing was a product of Spontaneous Creation'.
Another strange claim.  Apparently, taking a stance on the God idea requires omniscience.  I suppose it also requires faith to claim that the American Revolution did or did not happen, since none of us personally witnessed it.

QuoteSince you can't do that, comparing the question of God with the question of the tooth fairy or the spaghetti monster, or whatever, is quite disingenuous.
Quite the contrary.  The comparison is earnest and apt.  It's the dismissal of it that is disingenuous.

QuoteThis is why Issac Asimov preferred Rationalism over Atheism
#-o   Dunno where on earth you got this idea from.  He self-identified as an atheist.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Buddhist Alternative"Atheism is a Religion....

Fuck me... not this shit again....   :Hangman:

Jason78

Quote from: "Buddhist Alternative"The bottom line is that if you are an Atheist and you state that you don't belive in God; that is absolutely and perfectly fine. However, if you state, as a matter of fact, that there is no God, you are taking a Leap of Faith and crossing over into the world of Religious Dogma. If you state that a God-belief is stupid, you are a religious fanatic.

I'm going to have to take another leap of faith here and declare the following:

Superman doesn't exist.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Buddhist Alternative"The bottom line is that if you are an Atheist and you state that you don't belive in God; that is absolutely and perfectly fine. However, if you state, as a matter of fact, that there is no God, you are taking a Leap of Faith and crossing over into the world of Religious Dogma. If you state that a God-belief is stupid, you are a religious fanatic.

Superman doesn't exist.
Good thing I believe in Batman then. Need proof of Batman? No you don't, he's the goddamn Batman.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Solitary

Welcome aboard Buddhist Alternative! I agree that atheism is a religion by one definition of religion that has nothing to do with a supreme being, just like the original teachings of Buddha are. But the various schools of Buddhism have been corrupted into a religion that has one. There were no chants, prayers, worship, or shall not's written in stone by Buddha, just suggestions on how to behave and think to reach nirvana. The Hindu's even have Buddha as one of their gods. Also, in later life Buddha changed his views and no one noticed about para nirvana. I have been told the western mind can't comprehend what blowing out a candle means when Buddha referred to death. Really? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

It looks like Deepak Chopra has another follower.  :roll: Let's see how quantum mechanics is evidence for a world beyond matter. Quantum mechanics has provided both theistic and nontheistic spiritualists with a way to imagine a holistic cosmic consciousness that includes the human mind because they don't understand it because no one does.

The behavior of the quantum wave function has also encouraged the mystically inclined to see a holistic universe with the human mind as part of this grand cosmic consciousness. Obviously God could have made his miracles observable to science. However, he needs to be devious, or mysterious, so that we accept Him on faith. Why He would do this escapes me.  :roll:  :popcorn:  Solitary

leo

He is another funny troll. He wrote the same crap in the atheist forums org site.

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "Plu"As far as I know, everyone on the forum is an agnostic atheist.

I'm just an atheist. Claiming an agnostic position on the existence of god is special pleading. There is an infinite amount of retarded delusions that can be construed, and none of these appear to warrant the claim of being 'agnostic' about them.
I don't believe Voldemort exists. Period. There is no reason to say 'I don't know blabla could be' exept to be polite to some child or something.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

Solitary

I've been an atheist since I was six years old because everything I have read about all the religions accept for the original teachings of Buddha, and not the various schools, is so silly it's not even reasonable to think they are all true or to be believed. Right off the bat a Supreme being and Creation with a talking serpent, donkeys, burning bushes, and a woman out of a man's rib.  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :roll:  :rolleyes:  Solitary

leo

Quote from: "Solitary"I've been an atheist since I was six years old because everything I have read about all the religions accept for the original teachings of Buddha, and not the various schools, is so silly it's not even reasonable to think they are all true or to be believed. Right off the bat a Supreme being and Creation with a talking serpent, donkeys, burning bushes, and a woman out of a man's rib.  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :roll:  :rolleyes:  Solitary
Do read the nikayas ?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Jason78"

Superman doesn't exist.

Fuck off,  :P

Solitary

Quote from: "leo"
Quote from: "Solitary"I've been an atheist since I was six years old because everything I have read about all the religions accept for the original teachings of Buddha, and not the various schools, is so silly it's not even reasonable to think they are all true or to be believed. Right off the bat a Supreme being and Creation with a talking serpent, donkeys, burning bushes, and a woman out of a man's rib.  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :roll:  :rolleyes:  Solitary
Do read the nikayas ?

You got me there, and I thought I knew about religions. What is the nikayas? Solitary

leo

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "leo"
Do read the nikayas ?

You got me there, and I thought I knew about religions. What is the nikayas? Solitary
The earliest buddha's teachings the Pali sutras ( or Buddha discourses ) The agamas are the Sanskrit equivalent. I'm not talking about mahayana Buddhism bullshit sutras. The nikayas or agamas are the oldest texts from the earliest Buddhism.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Bibliofagus"
Quote from: "Plu"As far as I know, everyone on the forum is an agnostic atheist.

I'm just an atheist. Claiming an agnostic position on the existence of god is special pleading. There is an infinite amount of retarded delusions that can be construed, and none of these appear to warrant the claim of being 'agnostic' about them.
I don't believe Voldemort exists. Period. There is no reason to say 'I don't know blabla could be' exept to be polite to some child or something.

[youtube:3grcn5m1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/youtube:3grcn5m1]
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel