Matter and Antimatter are Not So Symmetric

Started by josephpalazzo, November 09, 2013, 08:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

This falls into the category of "old" news. But it's a reminder that what we know about the laws of physics is always a work in progress.

http://physics.aps.org/articles/v6/122?referer=rss

Aupmanyav

"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

The Non Prophet

From what I remember, with the specific physical make up of the universe, it tends to favor Anti-Matter over Matter and when Matter is introduced to Anti-Matter the Anti-Matter wins out.

I hope I'm not talking out of my ass here, my memory isn't the greatest sometimes.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "The Non Prophet"From what I remember, with the specific physical make up of the universe, it tends to favor Anti-Matter over Matter and when Matter is introduced to Anti-Matter the Anti-Matter wins out.

I hope I'm not talking out of my ass here, my memory isn't the greatest sometimes.
Not really. The initial Big Bang started with pure energy, with as many particles and anti-particles. As the universe expands and cools down, those combined to give lots of photons, but not all particles/anti-particles annihilate, we believe there was an imbalance of particles, why we only see matter and not anti-matter in the present universe.

Quote from: "Jason78"This is now a CP Violation thread.

[ Image ]

Lots of research are done on the idea that the initial imbalance between particle/anti-particles is due to some symmetry violation, the CP one being the primary candidate. But there are other theories on the market. The jury is still out there.

SGOS

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"The initial Big Bang started with pure energy, with as many particles and anti-particles. As the universe expands and cools down, those combined to give lots of photons, but not all particles/anti-particles annihilate, we believe there as an imbalance of particles, why we only see matter and not anti-matter in the present universe.
Perhaps on a cosmic scale, our current universe is an unstable anomaly, and is struggling to eventually return to its normal state, getting rid of all the dust and searching for the perfect balance of a pure energy state.

I see the potential for a new religion.

SGOS

Oops, your last post says as much, and I was joking... sort of.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"The initial Big Bang started with pure energy, with as many particles and anti-particles. As the universe expands and cools down, those combined to give lots of photons, but not all particles/anti-particles annihilate, we believe there as an imbalance of particles, why we only see matter and not anti-matter in the present universe.
Perhaps on a cosmic scale, our current universe is an unstable anomaly, and is struggling to eventually return to its normal state, getting rid of all the dust and searching for the perfect balance of a pure energy state.

I see the potential for a new religion.

Well, according to our present theory, the universe is accelerating. As the galaxies are racing further and further apart, it will come a day when the sky will be empty. As to this new religion, it could still go strong for quite a while as by the time the sky will have emptied itself the earth won't exist any more.  :Hangman: