7 Reasons Why God Is Easier To Believe Than Evolution

Started by Jason78, November 29, 2013, 02:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hydra009

The timescale/intuitive thing is just as much of a headache for global warming acceptance.  Both ideas describe cumulative changes that aren't immediately obvious.  Naturally, instead of approaching the topic in a calm, deliberative manner, a surprisingly large number of people find it easier to assume that it's all made up by the ideological opposition for some political end.

aileron

I've often wondered if it's easier to accept creationism than evolution, but I don't think this article advances our understanding of that question.  I'm quite skeptical of the claims the author is making.  Granted it's just a summary of the book and there may be more scientific backing in there, but over the years I've grown skeptical of some aspects of psychology as a science and even more skeptical of philosophy of science as anything more than philosophy's dead cat bounce.

Some of the claims seem fanciful, such as backing up the claim that we think teleologically because 4 and 5 year olds think the purpose of a lion is to "go to the zoo."  I just conducted a highly unscientific experiment with kids in the room and the consensus of opinion on the purpose of a lion is "I don't know."  That seems to me to be a very good answer.  What the hell does the question even mean?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez