News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

We should stop trying to be "sheep"

Started by zarus tathra, November 27, 2013, 01:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankDK

> We're not Christians.

But we are people, and most people desire a community to belong to.  Things like Ethical Culture and the American Humanist Association provide a community, in addition to doing good works.

> And i don't mean that in the obvious, literal sense. I mean that Christianity and atheism are complete opposites from a sociological standpoint.

That doesn't mean that sociology doesn't apply to atheists.  Most of us desire like-minded company, and if religion comes up in virtually all other groups, atheist communities are the only option.

I sing barbershop quartet music, and throughout the year, but especially this season, they sing religious music.  If I'm going to sing barbershop, I have to put up with the nonsense.

Frank

ApostateLois

I don't even understand what atheists would talk about in such meetings. If they're gathering to accomplish a purpose, such as raising money to help build a homeless shelter or feed starving Somali children, that's great, but gathering just to discuss atheism doesn't sound very interesting.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

FrankDK

> I don't even understand what atheists would talk about in such meetings.

Physics, ethics, cosmology, politics, personal relationships, current events, events in our lives, celebrating happy events (like births, marriages, birthdays, anniversaries), sharing the sorrow of unhappy events, poverty and how to alleviate it, bowling, movies, medicine, music, life.

I spoke on the evolution of ethics on one occasion, and a science-based system of ethical behavior on another.  That was at the Washington Ethical Society and the Northern Virginia Ethical Society.

> If they're gathering to accomplish a purpose, such as raising money to help build a homeless shelter or feed starving Somali children, that's great,

They do a fair amount of that.

> but gathering just to discuss atheism doesn't sound very interesting.

To the best of my recollection, atheism per se never came up.

Frank

Plu

Still running on the idea of starting these meetings in a highly religious setting, I see.

ApostateLois

Quote from: "FrankDK"> I don't even understand what atheists would talk about in such meetings.

Physics, ethics, cosmology, politics, personal relationships, current events, events in our lives, celebrating happy events (like births, marriages, birthdays, anniversaries), sharing the sorrow of unhappy events, poverty and how to alleviate it, bowling, movies, medicine, music, life.

I spoke on the evolution of ethics on one occasion, and a science-based system of ethical behavior on another.  That was at the Washington Ethical Society and the Northern Virginia Ethical Society.

> If they're gathering to accomplish a purpose, such as raising money to help build a homeless shelter or feed starving Somali children, that's great,

They do a fair amount of that.

> but gathering just to discuss atheism doesn't sound very interesting.

To the best of my recollection, atheism per se never came up.

Frank

That sounds pretty cool!
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Sal1981

The only community of like-minded individuals I can find is in a local pub, and we aren't many. I just go to this local pub, and we talk about whatever, be it current events, philosophy, family or just music.

AllPurposeAtheist

This atheism meeting will come to order.. I don't believe in god. Any objections? No? Meeting adjourned. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jack89

If you think about it, it's kind of odd that humans, the social animals we are, have to have a club, a detached religion, an association or some Utopian cause to come together and socialize.  We compartmentalize our social and work interactions to the point where we sometimes even segregate the people we interact with, according to the activity or event.  I know that's not healthy.  It can't be.  
Step back and ask yourself why you have to have a club or an organization to bring like-minded people together.  I think that just emphasizes how unlike-minded people in western society are.  It's sad.  Your entire community should be like-minded enough to socialize with each other on a daily basis. There's not much of a community if they don't.
I've seen tribal and village type folk who work and play together, unified by culture and purpose.  Sure, they're poor, a little ignorant and a bit too religious, but nearly all of them are on the same sheet of music and actually have a community.  They connect.  To be honest, I envy them sometimes.

OK, done ranting. Had one too many glasses of Wild Turkey.

Plu

People in western societies are unlike minded because they are allowed to think for themselves and reach their own conclusions. The inevitable consequence of it is that they reach different conclusions, which causes this divide.

The places you speak of have everyone on the same line because for some reason everyone thinks the same things, enjoys the same things, believes the same things. This is usually a result of some form of conditioning.

If you look around, you will probably find that the less people think, the more likely they are to act as you describe; being able to socialize with the "like-minded" and being a real part of a community. But you'll also find that "like-minded" just means "mindless acceptance of cultural values".

stromboli

You can sit in a room full of people and still be an independent thinker. Sheep behavior in religion is about confirming the mandate of the religion by following it, and by performing the rote behavior they prescribe. I personally think sheep behavior is better exemplified by things like Black Friday, where mobs of people will break down the doors of a store to buy crap that is marked down a couple of percent. If you want sheep behavior, you don't have to attend church to find it.

Mermaid

Quote from: "zarus tathra"I think you completely missed the point of my post, which is that atheism and Christianity are fundamentally different for reasons other than theology (or the lack thereof) and that we should stop pretending otherwise.
My problem with religion is the need to get other people to subscribe to an agenda.

Kind of like you're doing here.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Plu

The only fundamental difference between atheists and christians is that atheists don't believe in gods and christians do. If you are (still) ascribing more properties to atheists than this one, you (still) don't get what atheism is about.

You're the only one here trying to turn atheism into something that looks more like christianity.

zarus tathra

Quote from: "Mermaid"
Quote from: "zarus tathra"I think you completely missed the point of my post, which is that atheism and Christianity are fundamentally different for reasons other than theology (or the lack thereof) and that we should stop pretending otherwise.
My problem with religion is the need to get other people to subscribe to an agenda.

Kind of like you're doing here.

Actually I'm talking about not engaging in behaviors that people usually engage in when they're trying to push an agenda, such as congregating and stuff.

QuoteYou're the only one here trying to turn atheism into something that looks more like christianity.

See above. I don't understand what you're talking about.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Mermaid

Quote from: "zarus tathra"Actually I'm talking about not engaging in behaviors that people usually engage in when they're trying to push an agenda, such as congregating and stuff.
Telling people what they should think and do and how they should behave is included in pushing your agenda.

Posting the word "SHOULD" is your first clue.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

zarus tathra

Oh so voicing an opinion is "pushing?" So much for free speech.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.