News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Audiophiles -- Need Help

Started by wolf39us, November 18, 2013, 05:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

So I've recently come across what I thought was a great service called "iTunes Match".  It effectively scans your music library and, if matched, will return a 256kbps AAC DRM-Free version of the same song (the one they sell in their iTunes store).

Many of the songs in my library WERE 128kbps Mp3s with "moderate" quality.  After upgrading almost 90% of my library I can DEFINITELY hear the difference in quality.

BUT, some of the songs I came across sounded slightly muddy in comparison to my 128kbps version... why would a 256kbps AAC file sound worse than a 128kbps Mp3??  

So I found a GREAT example among my songs and I'd like for anyone with a decent ear for quality to listen to these two versions of the same song... one is my mp3, the other is the iTunes matched AAC file.

iTunes Matched AAC 256kbps
[attachment=1:1hnlie8t]Proud Mary.m4a[/attachment:1hnlie8t]

My Mp3 128kbps
[attachment=0:1hnlie8t]Proud Mary.mp3[/attachment:1hnlie8t]

Which do YOU think sounds better?

PopeyesPappy

Are you re-sampling the 128K mp3 files to get the 256k aac?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Johan

Well I'm no expert or audiophile, but the 256k file definitely sounds like its a little lacking in the high end as compared to the 128k file. If I had to guess I'd say everything above 8 or 9k is rolled off 3 or 4 db,

As to why that would be? No idea. My first guess would be that given this particular track predates the digital age, its probably been remastered and re-released a time or two. So perhaps the two files are taken from different release versions and one is mastered to be darker than the other.

My second guess would be person who actually did the conversion on the 256k version was using speakers that artificially boosted the high end and was filtering off some high end during the conversion process so the file would sound right on their particular system.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

wolf39us

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"Are you re-sampling the 128K mp3 files to get the 256k aac?

no it's a separate file completely from iTunes Store

PopeyesPappy

Then I'm with johan. If it isnt resampling then its a shitty copy or just a bad rip.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Johan

I brought your 256k file into sound forge and applied some eq to put some of the high end back in starting with +2db@7k and going to about +5db@12k. Then I rolled off everything below 60Hz just a tad and added a little 1.5db bump between 120Hz and 180Hz just give the kick a little more punch.

See if you like it. If so problem solved. If not keep looking for a different version that's eq'd properly from the start.

//https://app.box.com/s/zhutvsfjc7lmkq7cb6uj
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

wolf39us

Came up with new solution.

When in doubt... FLAC or ALAC

There, no more questioning quality :-)

Johan

aileron

Quote from: "wolf39us"Came up with new solution.

When in doubt... FLAC or ALAC

There, no more questioning quality :-)

Don't get the vinyl people going now...
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

wolf39us

Ah you mean the 24 98k people?

Lol, unfortunately my iPhone doesn't support it, nor does my car