News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Dumb Dynasty, OP/ED

Started by Brian37, November 15, 2013, 12:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

The following opinion is a continuing battle against the "never" tactic the well intended left has with certain words. Now it appears "Redneck" is a slur. Yes, it can be used as a slur, but lots of rednecks use it as a term of endearment. I saw on the news today a kid got scolded by his school for wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt and the use of the word "redneck".

Dumb Dynasty, my op/ed on the importance of CONTEXT of words. So a kid gets scolded for wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt at school. The offense wasn't that like all reality shows it is mind rot when kids should be learning math and science. No, what offended the school was the word "Redneck".

"Gay" is originally a french word meaning "happy", it went on to become a slur, but there are still tons of gay people who call themselves gay and have the word "gay" in their advocacy organization names. Any rap artist can tell you the difference between when a bigot calls a black person "nigger" and when they use it to describe buddies and loved ones.

Atheists get equated to Stalin and Po Pot and by virtue of not believing cannot have morals according to bigoted believers. "Atheos" the original Greek word merely meant "without god", and was not a moral judgment of the person labeled "atheos'. But theism since has demonized the word. Yet as an atheist I KNOW HOW to make the distinction between when a bigoted theist views it, and when my fellow atheist uses it. And I also joke with fellow atheists that we are "godless heathens".

Same can be said with the word "Jew". "Juden" is German for "Jew" and during WW2 Hitler and the Nazis used "Jew" to demonize Jewish people and justified a holocaust with that slur. But Mel Brooks used "Jew" his comedies and South Park certainly used it to poke fun of bigotry.

Same with the Washington Redskins name. The word "redskin" was invented by natives long before their oppression and did not start out as a slur. When the Boston Braves moved to Washington and changed the name to Redskins, the name was not used as slur to describe the team, anymore than I insult myself by calling myself an atheist or gays call themselves gays.

I think some well intended people do not understand that others KNOW WHAT CONTEXT IS and the difference between a slur and a term of endearment.

ALL WORDS have more than one meaning and can be used in different contexts to mean different things.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

AllPurposeAtheist

Meh..unimportant stuff.. I'm sure it'll make the rounds on talk shows, but I don't really care. Haters gonna hate I guess. :roll: It's coloquial (sp) speech. Nothing more. It's not in the same vein as Redskins though no matter if you're a Redskins fan or not.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"I didn't understand anything, APA. Lol. What are you talking about?
Meh..I don't even know why I commented on it.. I probably didn't express what thoughts are in my head clearly.. Disregard please. :)

Now I could understand being upset being called an ABBA fan though.. :lol:

::::duck::::

stromboli

All of that just to justify your stupid team's name? Seriously. It is offensive to Native Americans, period.

Gay is not offensive to gay people. It is a name they gave themselves. The connotation of the use of gay to describe various items or activities in comparison to homosexuals is considered offensive, not the word itself when speaking of homosexuals. I happen to think that is overly sensitive, but I'm not gay.

Nigger is a word connotated from the word negro and meant in a slang sense. Negro is an anglicization of the word "negro" which is Spanish for black, from which nigger is derived. Doesn't sound too harmful, but don't be a white man calling a black man nigger, and no, I don't think anyone can adequately explain that.

the word is connotation. Regardless of whether in your opinion the word is insensitive or not, it still is to Native Americans. So I politely say fuck you, your opinion doesn't count.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Brian37"The following opinion is a continuing battle against the "never" tactic the well intended left has with certain words. Now it appears "Redneck" is a slur. Yes, it can be used as a slur, but lots of rednecks use it as a term of endearment. I saw on the news today a kid got scolded by his school for wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt and the use of the word "redneck".

Dumb Dynasty, my op/ed on the importance of CONTEXT of words. So a kid gets scolded for wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt at school. The offense wasn't that like all reality shows it is mind rot when kids should be learning math and science. No, what offended the school was the word "Redneck".

"Gay" is originally a french word meaning "happy", it went on to become a slur, but there are still tons of gay people who call themselves gay and have the word "gay" in their advocacy organization names. Any rap artist can tell you the difference between when a bigot calls a black person "nigger" and when they use it to describe buddies and loved ones.

Atheists get equated to Stalin and Po Pot and by virtue of not believing cannot have morals according to bigoted believers. "Atheos" the original Greek word merely meant "without god", and was not a moral judgment of the person labeled "atheos'. But theism since has demonized the word. Yet as an atheist I KNOW HOW to make the distinction between when a bigoted theist views it, and when my fellow atheist uses it. And I also joke with fellow atheists that we are "godless heathens".

Same can be said with the word "Jew". "Juden" is German for "Jew" and during WW2 Hitler and the Nazis used "Jew" to demonize Jewish people and justified a holocaust with that slur. But Mel Brooks used "Jew" his comedies and South Park certainly used it to poke fun of bigotry.

Same with the Washington Redskins name. The word "redskin" was invented by natives long before their oppression and did not start out as a slur. When the Boston Braves moved to Washington and changed the name to Redskins, the name was not used as slur to describe the team, anymore than I insult myself by calling myself an atheist or gays call themselves gays.

I think some well intended people do not understand that others KNOW WHAT CONTEXT IS and the difference between a slur and a term of endearment.

ALL WORDS have more than one meaning and can be used in different contexts to mean different things.
"Redskins" was not invented by native Americans. I don't where you get your information but it's obvious that where you get it is a bad source.
In any event a kid wearing a T-shirt and saying a word is completely different. When you speak a word your intended context is known by how you say it. A t-shirt leaves interpritation virtually open. Take the word "Redneck" You say that it can be a slur and a term of endearment. Well the endearment comes in the form of "My fellow redneck" meaning "My fellow racist hillbilly asshole". Yeah it's endearment to those who love being racist assholes, but it is offensive to most people as is the Stars and Bars. So don't hand me this duality of terms and interpitation crap.

Brian37

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Meh..unimportant stuff.. I'm sure it'll make the rounds on talk shows, but I don't really care. Haters gonna hate I guess. :roll: It's coloquial (sp) speech. Nothing more. It's not in the same vein as Redskins though no matter if you're a Redskins fan or not.

Bigotry is important stuff. But it is not solved with equating bigots with others who use the same words in different contexts.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Brian37

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Quote from: "drunkenshoe"I didn't understand anything, APA. Lol. What are you talking about?
Meh..I don't even know why I commented on it.. I probably didn't express what thoughts are in my head clearly.. Disregard please. :)

DEATH TO THOSE WHO BLASPHEME ABBA! (Note to self:Did I think this or type it?)

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"

Would you believe me if I told that I haven't seen Brian's post and thought your post was the OP? And I am thinking to myself what the hell is he on?  :rollin:

I had a bad day. :( Recently, not having fun. I am doing everything half minded.
LOL.. The first part there is pretty funny to me..

I'm sorry you're having a bad day though.. I really hope it improves. :)

Brian37

Quote from: "stromboli"All of that just to justify your stupid team's name? Seriously. It is offensive to Native Americans, period.

Gay is not offensive to gay people. It is a name they gave themselves. The connotation of the use of gay to describe various items or activities in comparison to homosexuals is considered offensive, not the word itself when speaking of homosexuals. I happen to think that is overly sensitive, but I'm not gay.

Nigger is a word connotated from the word negro and meant in a slang sense. Negro is an anglicization of the word "negro" which is Spanish for black, from which nigger is derived. Doesn't sound too harmful, but don't be a white man calling a black man nigger, and no, I don't think anyone can adequately explain that.

the word is connotation. Regardless of whether in your opinion the word is insensitive or not, it still is to Native Americans. So I politely say fuck you, your opinion doesn't count.

What?

Ok Stalin lover you don't believe in God, just remember that.

Brian37

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "Brian37"The following opinion is a continuing battle against the "never" tactic the well intended left has with certain words. Now it appears "Redneck" is a slur. Yes, it can be used as a slur, but lots of rednecks use it as a term of endearment. I saw on the news today a kid got scolded by his school for wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt and the use of the word "redneck".

"Redskins" was not invented by native Americans. I don't where you get your information but it's obvious that where you get it is a bad source.
In any event a kid wearing a T-shirt and saying a word is completely different. When you speak a word your intended context is known by how you say it. A t-shirt leaves interpritation virtually open. Take the word "Redneck" You say that it can be a slur and a term of endearment. Well the endearment comes in the form of "My fellow redneck" meaning "My fellow racist hillbilly asshole". Yeah it's endearment to those who love being racist assholes, but it is offensive to most people as is the Stars and Bars. So don't hand me this duality of terms and interpitation crap.

Take it up with Hillbilly Atheist then, he embraces the term "redneck" so does that mean he hates himself?

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "mykcob4""Redskins" was not invented by native Americans. I don't where you get your information but it's obvious that where you get it is a bad source.

Just to get this out of the way at first: Most people who call themselves "redneck" do not mean it AT ALL to connotate "racist hillbilly asshole", or anything racist for that matter. It's meant to connotate rural living and the lifestyle associated with such. Get the fuck off your high horse.

Now, for the Redskins thing:

Let's say I had this team I really loved. The only problem is that their name happens to be "The Oakland Niggers".

I may not have a problem with their name, but a few people do for some odd reason. I just can't understand it, I mean....It's a name that's been with the team for decades now, it's tradition dammit!

And who could hate their lovable mascot?

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Brian37

Not the same thing and you know it.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Brian37"Not the same thing and you know it.
You're right, it's actually worse. We may have enslaved blacks and suppressed their civil liberties, but at least our racial slur for them wasn't derived from the practice of scalping their dead. :-|
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

The Skeletal Atheist

True, we only enslaved Africans. We never commited genocide against them and then used caricatures of them for sports teams.

The main point is that it doesn't matter if YOU don't find it not offensive, it matters that THEY (meaning Native Americans) find it offensive. If you think it's not an offensive term, I encourage you to go up to a Native American and start calling him a redskin.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

mykcob4

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"
Quote from: "mykcob4""Redskins" was not invented by native Americans. I don't where you get your information but it's obvious that where you get it is a bad source.

Just to get this out of the way at first: Most people who call themselves "redneck" do not mean it AT ALL to connotate "racist hillbilly asshole", or anything racist for that matter. It's meant to connotate rural living and the lifestyle associated with such. Get the fuck off your high horse.

Now, for the Redskins thing:

Let's say I had this team I really loved. The only problem is that their name happens to be "The Oakland Niggers".

I may not have a problem with their name, but a few people do for some odd reason. I just can't understand it, I mean....It's a name that's been with the team for decades now, it's tradition dammit!

And who could hate their lovable mascot?

[ Image ]
I begged to differ. "Redneck" first meant someone(white) that toiled in the sun working bent over exposing their white neck to the sun all day burnimg it turning it red. But it came to be known as people that were not only uneducated but glorified the lack of education as in a rural version of "street smart" instead of that "evil book learnin'. " The group that call themselves "redneck" and glorify everything that is redneck are decidedly racist and that is a hallmark of that subculture. Just like a rapper wants street creds or to be reveared as a gangster. It doesn't actually mean that he sells drugs, but it is what he glorifies and the culture that he promotes. A redneck glorifies and promotes a culture that at it's very core is racist, uneducated, rowdy, violent, pseudo-macho, false-patriotic. There are sects and subsects of the culture but essentially it is racist based.
http://www.ldoceonline.com/Sociology-topic/redneck red?neck [countable] American English informal
SS a person who lives in a country area of the US, is uneducated, and has strong unreasonable opinions.