News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Just Like 911

Started by Solitary, November 13, 2013, 10:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

When God saved the cross in the rubble left after the towers fell. :roll:  

This statue of Jesus Christ is located in the town of Tanauan, in the Philippines, and, in what's being called a miracle, it survived being flattened by the typhoon that destroyed nearly everything else in the region. The statue sits atop Cavalry Hill, overlooking the ruins of the town, and it's said to be a symbol of hope to the local residents, who are largely Catholic. Solitary

See APA! God was there saving the Christ statue.  :rollin:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

And the fact that the statue was anchored to the earth with concrete and doesn't have the wind resistance of a flat building doesn't matter.

The Skeletal Atheist

"Hey guys this statue of me survived this horrible storm that I caused/allowed to happen! Pretty neat huh? Guys...guys...? Shit, they're all dead."
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

Under their circumstances I'm not about to deny the people there whatever glimmer of hope they can grasp at regardless if it's ultimately futile.  Yes, it's anchored with concrete and probably rebar and has minimal wind resistance compared to a flat wooden wall, but damned.. I can't blame them for believing it saved lives even if it didn't.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

And its on Calvary hill above the water, but it was a miracle.  :roll:  There's no hope for man kind as long as there are people that believe in real magic.  :twisted:  Solitary

Poison Tree

If memory serves, during the 2004 Christmas tsunami lots of mosques were left standing while surrounding buildings were demolished. Mostly it was due to the crappy wooden wall of the houses vs stone pillars of the mosques which were both stronger and received less water pushing against them (less surface ares, water went around the rounded edges).
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

AllPurposeAtheist

Hmm..anyone in a big hurry to hop a flight there to inform the half starved, traumatized people there that god's not real and their statue is bullshit? Let me know how that turns out for you. :)

Solitary

#-o  We are not allowed to give logical explanations for miracles!  [-X  :lol:  Solitary

The Skeletal Atheist

I don't think any of us are looking down on them for clinging onto their faith during such a terrible time. I mean, it's totally pointless in terms of helping them to get food or rebuild, but if their faith helps them maintain some peace of mind through such a horrible affair then I really can't look down on them for that. Now mocking the fact that a statue surviving while thousands died is being seen as a miracle, that I can do.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

I guess if some poor kid had been impaled dead and bloody on Jesus's finger things might be a little different.  :-k