Creation Museum denied membership

Started by Smartmarzipan, November 13, 2013, 07:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Creation Museum Denied Membership By San Diego Museum Council

QuoteSantee is home to one of the few creationist museums in the country. Last week, the San Diego Museum Council voted not to allow The Museum of Creation and Earth membership into its group.

The creation museum needed 21 "yes" votes to become a council member. They lost by only two votes.

It disturbs me that they only lost by 2 votes. Seriously.

QuoteDanielle Susalla Deery is president of the San Diego Museum Council. She said the museum's membership was not rejected because of its mission but because of other factors.

"Like their animal care and the protocol and care of their exhibitions and storage. They had a lot of areas that were not in line with membership guidelines. They have a staff member on the board of directors and that's not good governance," Deery said.

As part of the application process, members of the council's membership committee visited the Santee-based Creation Museum. They recommended that the council accept the museum's application and grant it membership. But when it came time to vote, the "yes" votes weren't there.

Museum of Creation and Earth president Tom Cantor said he's not happy with the result.

"I'm afraid we are being opposed for nothing more than the old prejudice against God," Cantor said.

He went on to make a comparison between the museum's fight for respect and a moment in history.

"It's like we're in Selma, Alabama in the 1950s and I want to have a museum on black Americans," he said. "Do you think I'll be accepted by the council of museums in Selma, Alabama?"

:shock: That asshole did NOT just say that!!! Did he?!

Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Hydra009

QuoteDanielle Susalla Deery is president of the San Diego Museum Council. She said the museum's membership was not rejected because of its mission but because of other factors.

"Like their animal care and the protocol and care of their exhibitions and storage. They had a lot of areas that were not in line with membership guidelines. They have a staff member on the board of directors and that's not good governance," Deery said.
You'd think that their mission would actually be the primary reason they would be denied.  The "museum" is a thin veneer for what is ultimately political lobbying.

I mean, if that sort of thing was okay, any Joe Blow with money to burn could start his own museum for whatever cause, stock it full of propaganda, and get it rubber stamped as a legit museum.

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Hydra009"

You'd think that their mission would actually be the primary reason they would be denied.  The "museum" is a thin veneer for what is ultimately political lobbying.

I mean, if that sort of thing was okay, any Joe Blow with money to burn could start his own museum for whatever cause, stock it full of propaganda, and get it rubber stamped as a legit museum.

I know, right? I was a little appalled that a museum can be what-the-fuck-ever....I thought they had to be up to academic standards, or something.

*Sigh*

Hydra009

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"I know, right? I was a little appalled that a museum can be what-the-fuck-ever....I thought they had to be up to academic standards, or something.
At the very least, house materials of cultural/historic import.

As opposed to something like this:

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Hydra009"[ Image ]

[ Image ]

I just....but....what the....

GrinningYMIR

Well Marzi, if it makes you feel any better, we had a small Westboro-type church protest the opening of a holocaust museum near Richmond. "Claiming that jews had no right to create it"

Speaking of which, did you know that in '79 a bunch of religious zealots burned up some aliens props because they were "the work of the devil"
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"Well Marzi, if it makes you feel any better, we had a small Westboro-type church protest the opening of a holocaust museum near Richmond. "Claiming that jews had no right to create it"

Speaking of which, did you know that in '79 a bunch of religious zealots burned up some aliens props because they were "the work of the devil"

AllPurposeAtheist

Well there you go.. Yet another front in the war on Christmas! :evil: The next thing you know there will be a blatant denial there's really a giant toy factory on the north pole and reindeer really are magic and can fly at the speed of light or faster. :roll: And I suppose there's not really a jolly elderly fat guy who climbs up and down millions upon millions of chimneys in a 24 hour period with a gigantic bag of toys only for good little boys and girls. :shock:
The gall of some unbelievable magic deniers. :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Right! And pretty soon there going to blasphemy the Tooth Fairy and say she doesn't exist. The retards.  :evil:  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Solitary"Right! And pretty soon there going to blasphemy the Tooth Fairy and say she doesn't exist. The retards.  :evil:  :lol:  Solitary
The tooth fairy pays cold hard cash. You gotta take Santa's shit back to a store then all you get is an in-store credit.  :-$
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

gussy

I wouldn't call the telling a fairy tale through fiberglass displays a museum.  If that were the case, a ride at Disneyland could also be called a museum.