News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gay Marriage Passes in Hawaii

Started by The Skeletal Atheist, November 12, 2013, 06:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skeletal Atheist

[spoil:16my6r35]
QuoteHawaii was poised to become the 15th state to legalize same-sex marriage Tuesday evening after state senators sent legislation to Gov. Neil Abercrombie's (D) desk.
After a same-sex marriage bill hit legislative roadblocks earlier this year, and after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that the federal Defense of Marriage Act was unconstitutional, Abercrombie called the legislature back into special session to pass a compromise measure. The new version of the bill includes protections for religious officials who object to same-sex marriage.
The state House of Representatives heard 56 hours of public testimony over five days last week. On Friday night, the House passed the marriage bill by a 30-19 vote.
The state Senate, which passed its version of the same-sex marriage bill by a 20-4 margin earlier this year, passed the House version when it met Tuesday. Abercrombie has said he will sign the bill.
The compromise bill allows same-sex couples to get marriage licenses as early as Dec. 2.
Republican state Rep. Bob McDermott said in a letter to Abercrombie on Friday he will file a request for a temporary restraining order if the bill passes, the Honolulu Star Advertiser reported Tuesday. A state judge has said he will hear the case if the bill passes.
Hawaii will give same-sex marriage proponents its second big win in two weeks. Illinois lawmakers passed a same-sex marriage bill on Nov. 5, and Gov. Pat Quinn (D) said in a statement he would sign it at a public ceremony on Nov. 20.
[/spoil:16my6r35]
Bigots Beware
 =D>
Another victory for equality! The more states pass these laws, the more optimistic I become. It seems to be growing momentum as well. Every time a poll is conducted more and more people are in support of equality. Maybe by the end of this decade we'll have full equality!
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aileron

Hawaii is a deep south state too   :D/
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shiranu

Quote from: "aileron"Hawaii is a deep south state too   :D/

Wut.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

aileron

Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote from: "aileron"Hawaii is a deep south state too   :D/

Wut.

Hawaii is even farther south than Alabama and Mississippi, so maybe they're next to legalize gay marriage ;)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

StupidWiz

The 16th state, right? After Illinois? Congratulations!  =D>  :-D
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "StupidWiz"The 16th state, right? After Illinois? Congratulations!  =D>  :-D
Something like that. Hopefully sanity will become a world wide virtual soon.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah, Hawaii does this and god punishes the Philippines.. Well, 'HE' knew they were gonna pass it.. :shock: :-k :)

Ok..that was rude, huh?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

This is great for all the Mahalos out there. Honi Kaula Wiki Wiki APA! :shock:   :lol:

Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Ya know.. I'm considering finding some elderly, filthy rich, lonely gay guy who wants to marry a slightly less elderly poor straight guy...JUST FOR THE COMPANIONSHIP! :lol:

Solitary

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Ya know.. I'm considering finding some elderly, filthy rich, lonely gay guy who wants to marry a slightly less elderly poor straight guy...JUST FOR THE COMPANIONSHIP! :lol:

Wouldn't it be more fun to marry a rich bisexual female---just for companionship---they might just want to have babies if you want more? Solitary

Aloha!

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh yeah..didn't think of that.. I'm watching boxing. Kind of distracting.. But I have about as much interest in making more babies as I do in nailing my nuts to the rafters while playing tennis. :lol:

Solitary

It would still be fun to see her get it on with her girl friend. You could always watch boxing or foot ball when she's with her boy friend the tennis pro.  :rollin:  Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh.   yeah...That last part.. :-k...uhhh..NO! :)