A Purpose In Life Doesn't Have To Be Eternal

Started by Solitary, November 05, 2013, 09:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Quote from: "Solitary"
QuoteI have no need for an afterlife, a heaven, a god, or any supernatural beliefs in order to appreciate living and take joy out of my life. For many religious theists, and for Christians in particular, it is unacceptable to think that "life on earth is all that we have." To me, that sounds like someone who doesn't take much joy out of their life. A person who truly enjoys and appreciates their life will take pleasure in it and enjoy it regardless of whether any sort of afterlife exists. They might believe in an afterlife and even in some sort of wonderful heaven, but they won't depend upon the existence of such a heaven in order for their lives to have meaning or purpose. The disagreement here is thus not between theists who believe in an afterlife and atheists who do not, but rather between theists who are unable to find value in this life and everyone else — atheists as well as theists — who can.
Solitary
The atheists life is considerably more fulfilling because we realize this is the only one we're getting. I can't speak for theists, but I do know examples of people, even family, that simply only wait for death who are Christians.

Eve

[quote=

Solitary

Quote from: "Eve"
Quote from: "Solitary"For many people, their religion teaches that their god gives them purpose in life and offers them something to look forward to after they die — something that is important because, so often, these religions teach adherents that their actual lives right now aren't of much value. Therefore, anyone who doesn't follow this religion and who doesn't believe in their god must not have purpose in life and must not have anything to look forward to. All of this is wrong, not to mention arrogant.
I agree, it is wrong. This life is of much value. Without this life can not be eternal life. It is like this: without elementary education someone cannot have high education.
Quote from: "Solitary"To start with, it is arrogant as well as mistaken to assume that, without a belief in their god, then I must have nothing to hope for.
I agree. It is wrong assumption. Creator never said that there is nothing to hope for if someone doesn't believe in Him.

Quote from: "Solitary"Granted, I can't hope for their particular idea about an afterlife, but that hardly warrants the conclusion that I have nothing to hope for or to look forward to in the future.
What do I have to look forward to? Life — an enjoyable life doing the things I love and being with the people I love. Why do I live? Because of the people I love and the things I love — basically, because I enjoy life. Does it matter that, eventually, I am going to die and the life I enjoy will end? I admit that that will be unfortunate, but it doesn't mean that doing what I enjoy now is therefore worthless.
It is not now. It will become worthless for You  that day when  it ends.
Quote from: "Solitary"Does the fact that every moment ends and cannot be recaptured mean that, therefore, it was worthless and meaningless to experience and enjoy that moment? Not at all.
Agree. But it true  as long as You can remember and cherish those moments. When You die all fun is over. It BECOMES worthless for You.

Quote from: "Solitary"There is absolutely no reason to think that the temporary nature of any particular moment or experience forces us to de-value that moment or experience — and, therefore, to also de-value all of life.
Every moment has value as long as You can remember it and learn from it something good and true. When this life is over it looses meaning and value for You forever. What is the point to enjoy only one moment and die right away?

Quote from: "Solitary"Although it's rare to find any theists eschewing non-eternal experiences, it isn't unusual to find them devaluing life and our experiences in life as compared to the "eternal" existence they anticipate having after their physical deaths. Because this life is temporary and the assumed afterlife is eternal, only the afterlife is truly valued while this life is de-valued. At most, this life is given value as preparation for reaching the preferred afterlife. It is not, however, valued in and of itself. This life is not valued for what it is and for the experiences it offers.
This life is only then is de-valued when it has an absolute end. When child is born and dies next minute his/her life had no meaning. It had some value but no meaning. If Your life has an absolute end it has no meaning for You.
Quote from: "Solitary"I have no need for an afterlife, a heaven, a god, or any supernatural beliefs in order to appreciate living and take joy out of my life.
I agree with You. To enjoy this life nobody needs afterlife, heaven or God/gods.
Quote from: "Solitary"For many religious theists, and for Christians in particular, it is unacceptable to think that "life on earth is all that we have." To me, that sounds like someone who doesn't take much joy out of their life.
Not at all. Belief in eternal life means this: this life is good and a great opportunity to be prepared for something better. I like what is good but I will never reject something that is better. It is foolish to reject something that is better than you already have.  
Quote from: "Solitary"A person who truly enjoys and appreciates their life will take pleasure in it and enjoy it regardless of whether any sort of afterlife exists.
I agree. But don't forget about not to make wrong/dangerous/destructive choices. Sometimes we don't know which choice is dangerous. But God teaches about them. This way we can enjoy this life even more

Quote from: "Solitary"They might believe in an afterlife and even in some sort of wonderful heaven, but they won't depend upon the existence of such a heaven in order for their lives to have meaning or purpose.
Without eternal life there is no eternal purpose. In this life there is some purpose but it has absolute end. Absolute end has no hope. Eternal has hope for better - eternal progression.

Quote from: "Solitary"The disagreement here is thus not between theists who believe in an afterlife and atheists who do not, but rather between theists who are unable to find value in this life and everyone else — atheists as well as theists — who can.
Difference between this life and eternal life:
1)purpose of this life has an end; value of this life has an end.
2)purpose of eternal life has no end and value of eternal life has no end.
First is good, second is better
 why reject  which is better? :)

Reject it because it is delusional unless it can be proven with evidence. Eternal life actually negates having a purpose because it makes no difference if you have a purpose or not if you live for eternity. Death is what gives our lives meaning and purpose while alive, perpetuating our species for one thing. We give up our lives so other living things can live---that is our purpose in life. I don't agree that life is good with so much pain and suffering that outweigh pleasure and freedom from pain.

Eternal life sounds excruciatingly boring to me. Also, no experience that has already happen can ever be taken away because it has already happen. The memory may be gone, but not the experience. There is only now, and it is eternal. The past is a memory from thought, and the future is a thought, but only now exists, and it is a thought unless you are unconscious, and if you are unconscious when you die---how do you wake up?                 Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Plu

Eternal life would be incredibly horrible. Do you think you can keep yourself occupied for a billion years? And if you succeed, you haven't even started on your eternal life yet. You would go completely insane.

Eve

Quote from: Solitary

Eve

Quote from: PluEternal life would be

Plu

Quote from: "Plu"Eternal life would be incredibly horrible. Do you think you can keep yourself occupied for a billion years? And if you succeed, you haven't even started on your eternal life yet. You would go completely insane.
Your idea that to be occupied forever is something horrible and I would go insane is based on what?

A basic understanding of human psychology. And a basic understanding of math and the meaning of the word 'eternal'.

Knowing and combining these two leads you to the logical conclusion that any kind of eternal life would be absolutely horrible to experience. The only reason you do not see this is because you cannot grasp what it means to live forever, or you'd be horrified by the thought as well.

Being immortal isn't a blessing, it's the worst curse you can inflict on a living being. Delve into some of the better literature regarding the topic, and you'll see just how horrible it really is.

Eve

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote from: "Plu"Eternal life would be incredibly horrible. Do you think you can keep yourself occupied for a billion years? And if you succeed, you haven't even started on your eternal life yet. You would go completely insane.
Your idea that to be occupied forever is something horrible and I would go insane is based on what?

Plu

Unless the resurrected "body" has a different psychology, the argument still holds. It does not rely on physical properties.

If the resurrected "body" does have a different psychology, how can you claim it is still "you" when it clearly has nothing in common with you anymore? It cannot experience the afterlife like you can, because to experience like you can is constrained by your own psychology, which is now gone.

Basically some other, completely alien and incomprehensible (to human minds) person is now living your afterlife and "you" are still gone into oblivion.

Jason78

Quote from: "Plu"A basic understanding of human psychology. And a basic understanding of math and the meaning of the word 'eternal'.

Knowing and combining these two leads you to the logical conclusion that any kind of eternal life would be absolutely horrible to experience. The only reason you do not see this is because you cannot grasp what it means to live forever, or you'd be horrified by the thought as well.

Being immortal isn't a blessing, it's the worst curse you can inflict on a living being. Delve into some of the better literature regarding the topic, and you'll see just how horrible it really is.

I'm now imagining all these poor souls condemned to eternal life wailing and lamenting their fate.  The tortured souls scream and beg for a death that will never come.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato