News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rise Of Atheist Megachurch?

Started by stromboli, November 11, 2013, 01:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

stromboli

I might attend at least once just to see how they roll. There is going to be an atheist gathering in Salt Lake in 2014, as I recall, and I plan to attend that. Call me a suspicious old man, but I am too sensitive to being burned by everything from religion to any number of so-called "seminars" that turned out to be bogus. I'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt until I know otherwise.

Cocoa Beware

I think its a terrible idea for atheists to mimic organized religion.

Its the kind of misrepresentation theists jump all over in their quest to convince everyone atheism is a religion, and in the case of those involved they would be more or less correct (in my opinion) and I imagine Id have a difficult time debating them on this matter.

Jmpty

Pointless. As in, what's the point? The not collecting stamps club?
???  ??

stromboli

Quote from: "Jmpty"Pointless. As in, what's the point? The not collecting stamps club?

Yeah. Like herding cats.  :-D

AllPurposeAtheist

Hmm.. In the future National Geographic will have a 'reality show' called Atheist Megachurch Rescue where they rebuild old, rundown Atheist Megachurches! ....to renew our faith that faith is bogus? :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mister Agenda

Hm. I'm not a stamp collector. If not being a stamp collector meant that it's just pragmatic to keep that to myself at work, it can be a source of conflict in my family, laws are passed that discriminate against me for not collecting stamps, stamp collecting gets to be endorsed on our money and is considered a sign of moral turpitude...I would see the point in a 'not collecting stamps club'.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Solitary

I already belong to this church, check it out before criticizing what you don't know about it: http://www.churchofreality.org/wisdom/welcome_home/   How is it not a good idea? It gives us political power and a place to gather. The sacrament is marijuana. It's a church in name only by the definition of a church that doesn't include a creator. I'm surprised that there are comments made about it without knowing what it is about---like criticizing a book without reading it like people that criticize evolution without reading about it, or atheism without knowing what it is. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

entropy

//http://www.salon.com/2013/09/22/atheism_starts_its_megachurch_is_it_a_religion_now/

QuoteA recent article by the newly-minted Sunday Assembly Everywhere (SAE) network outlines the SA affiliation process: Interested groups must apply for a Sunday Assembly charter and license agreement, "which will give you the right to use all the Sunday Assembly materials, logos, positive vibe and goodwill." The next step is to form a legal entity, probably an "unincorporated association... which allows you to have a bank account." And then, training from SA HQ, either in the UK or via "webinars and telecals worldwide." If all goes well, aspiring founders will be invited to sign "A SAE Stage I Charter. This is a 'provisional license,' which gets you running your Sunday Assembly using our tried-and-tested formats and themes." This is followed by a peer-review process and evaluation by other SA chapters. Nailed it? A "Stage II Charter" will be issued, granting full SAE membership. The model is inspired by TEDx.

In his press release, Jones refers to "hundreds and, if all goes to plan, thousands" of new SA communities.

Eventually, Jones and Evans hope their Assemblies will offer more church-like services: Sunday school, weddings, funerals. Nicole Steeves, a 36-year-old librarian who is launching Sunday Assembly Chicago, told me that since becoming a mother, "I have keenly felt the absence of what I think are the best parts of a church: friendships built on common beliefs; a built-in network of helpers for child care, sickness, etc." Stuart Balkham is launching Sunday Assembly in Brighton, with his wife Anita. Balkham, a 31-year-old trained architect who now works as a music festival organizer, was inspired by his Church of England upbringing. "The Sunday Assembly is unabashedly copying a lot of established Church traditions, but removing what many people feel uncomfortable with if they aren't religious."

As the atheist church becomes more church-like, however, it seems to be deliberately downplaying its atheism. Where the Assembly once stridently rejected theism (at April's Assembly, Jones poked fun at the crucifixion), it is now far more equivocal. "How atheist should our Assembly be?", Jones wrote in a recent blog post. "The short answer to that is: not very."

"'Atheist Church' as a phrase has been good to us. It has got us publicity," Evans elaborated. "But the term 'atheist' does hold negative connotations. Atheists are often thought to be aggressive, loud and damning of all religion, where actually most atheists, in the UK anyway, are not defined by their non-belief." At a recent assembly, Jones opined: "I think atheism is boring. Why are we defining ourselves by something we don't believe in?"

AllPurposeAtheist

Hmm..sounds reasonable, but you do understand our skepticism I presume. The opportunity to con people out of money is real and of course just because someone claims to be an atheist and use reason doesn't mean they don't have nefarious agenda.. or are in fact reasonable or even atheists..
I'll make my usual half hearted effort to remain open here. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Hmm..sounds reasonable, but you do understand our skepticism I presume. The opportunity to con people out of money is real and of course just because someone claims to be an atheist and use reason doesn't mean they don't have nefarious agenda.. or are in fact reasonable or even atheists..

It doesn't cost me anything to be a member. I know what you mean having it started by a lawyer.  I have not seen any indication it is done other than for political reasons, legalizing marijuana, or tax free status. I can see how this makes us a target by all the irrational theist, but we already are. I personally see it as a way to defeat magical and superstitious thinking by embracing the reality we live in instead of supernatural explanations that answer all questions with God that doesn't really give an answer for anything. Solitary

This Church of Reality is not affiliated with the church being discussed.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Johan

A bad idea born from good intentions is still a bad idea.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

entropy

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Hmm..sounds reasonable, but you do understand our skepticism I presume. The opportunity to con people out of money is real and of course just because someone claims to be an atheist and use reason doesn't mean they don't have nefarious agenda.. or are in fact reasonable or even atheists..

I'm not sure, were you referring to my posting of the link and quote from Slate or Solitary's post about his participation in a similar group?

I, too, am very skeptical about this outfit. A "megachurch" franchise model? De-emphasizing the atheism aspect because the term "atheism" has negative connotations? Maybe they weren't into it for the money initially, but the way they are pursuing this now, it does make you wonder.

stromboli

QuoteI already belong to this church, check it out before criticizing what you don't know about it: http://www.churchofreality.org/wisdom/welcome_home/ How is it not a good idea? It gives us political power and a place to gather. The sacrament is marijuana. It's a church in name only by the definition of a church that doesn't include a creator. I'm surprised that there are comments made about it without knowing what it is about---like criticizing a book without reading it like people that criticize evolution without reading about it, or atheism without knowing what it is. Solitary

Weed? That's a whole different how de do. Yeah I'd go for weed, assuming it included some sacred samples.  :-D

Don't think that would float in Utah, however. Although I used to know some Hopi Indians back in the day... hey, throw in some Peyote. Now were talkin'.  :-D