why are liberal places so expensive?

Started by hillbillyatheist, November 01, 2013, 08:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gussy

I was in Iowa City a few weeks ago.  Nice little college town, seemed pretty liberal and the cost of living looked pretty average.  I was impressed by how well the state was run.  The roads were well paved and the government employees were actually friendly.  I would move there if I could.

mykcob4

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"mykcob4 wrote:
QuoteOh for crying out loud. The fact is that realizing that Liberals help the poor and the conservatives don't is just a fact. It's not being elitist. Conservatives give to religious organizations that serve to peer pressure their congregations to vote conservative and to be brainwashed in to rascist prejudice religious thinking.
As far as all politicians vote for monied interest that is not true. Voting for Medicare/Medicaid, for Social Security, for Afordable Medical Act, for community college, for PBS & NPR, for WICK and school lunch programs, for banking regulations and the EPA, all are Liberal ideas made law by Liberal politicians that cared for doing the right thing and not for the monied few!
Sounds like mykcob4 thinks in black or white.  And no, I'm not talking race.  I'm referring to politics which is exactly what he accuses conservatives of doing.  Or so it seems to me.

There were 16 Reps in the Senate who voted for Medicare and 6 Dems who voted against it.  It was not passed strictly along party lines, many Reps voted for it too.  It was the Reps who helped LBJ get the Civil Rights Act passed.  Yes, there have been many social programs pushed through be liberals, but often conservatives helped them do it.  It is not strictly a right and wrong on either side.

Often the devil is in the details.  Like the UnAffordable Healthcare Act.  Which is in reality a give away to the insurance companies.  Like the Patriot Act, it just has a nice sounding name.  

The elitist attitude, displayed by many "liberals" drives many people away from liberal organizations.  People don't like being talked down to.  Which is what most liberals do to anyone who dares to disagree with them.  Being trailer park scum, makes me want to vote for someone who at least doesn't shove that fact into my face.
Nope your premiss is just wrong. I don't think in black and white. But lets just look at history. I didn't say Democratic Party and Republican party. I said Liberal and conservative. Teddy R. was a Liberal and a Republican. Lincoln was a Liberal and a Republican. Every bill introduced sponsored and written to benefit the general public was done by a Liberal. That is just a fact. The Affordable Healthcare Act is not a giveaway to the insurance companies at all. In fact it is really are stronger regulation on an industry that has had a free ride forever. You can't have your policy cancelled for a existing medical condition. Administrative cost cannot exceed 20%. You calling it the "unaffordable Healthcare Act" is a FOX propaganda tactic and is just a smear. Your problem seems to be an insecurity issue. Liberals don't down to people. On the contrary, they respect people no matter their economic condition.

Plu

QuoteI don't think in black and white.

:rollin:

SilentFutility

Plu

That graph doesn't make any sense... I know what it's supposed to mean because I know what the basic concept is, but the graph does not work at all if you try to actually read it. I mean; if you have a lot of quantity and a lot of supply, the price is high? What does it even mean to have lots of quantity and lots of supply? :/

Atheon

Quote from: "gussy"I was in Iowa City a few weeks ago.  Nice little college town, seemed pretty liberal and the cost of living looked pretty average.  I was impressed by how well the state was run.  The roads were well paved and the government employees were actually friendly.  I would move there if I could.
It's a wonderful place indeed. I lived there, studied there and worked there.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

LikelyToBreak

Just passed through Iowa City a couple of times, but if their winters are like those in Omaha, I don't want to live there.  Of course, compared to Denver the winters aren't that bad, I suppose.

PopeyesPappy wrote:
QuoteYou say that like libratards are immune to condescending attitudes concerning their utopian market economy bullshit.
Didn't mean to.  Conservatives and "libratards" also act condescending to others who don't hold their views.  It is like how people become fanatical about sport teams, where "Anyone who isn't a Braves fan, is a turd." type of mentality.  Which is part of the reason I don't like broad political labels.  That being said, if liberals want their ideals to be accepted in the "fly-over" states, they should quit labeling those who live there with derogatory names.  IMHO.

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteEvery bill introduced sponsored and written to benefit the general public was done by a Liberal. That is just a fact.
Well if you define Liberal as those who benefit the general public, I can't argue with that.  I was going by the generally accepted notion that a Liberal is someone who wants bigger government.  Which goes back to my contention that the labels liberal and conservative are misleading and pretty much worthless.

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteLiberals don't down to people. On the contrary, they respect people no matter their economic condition.
They why do so many "Liberals" talk down to people like me?  Just because I'm white and don't have an advanced degree or thousands to spend on "Liberal" candidates.  Read what I wrote to PoppeyesPappy, then continue to make large over sweeping statements.  So-called "Liberal" politicians can be as corrupt and disrespectful of the poor, as the worse "Conservative" politicians are.  Failure to recognize that is what has allowed the Democrans to make things worse for the poor.

We covered Obamacare elsewhere, let's not open that can of worms here.  I just mentioned it to show that not everyone agrees it is good for the poor.

Jmpty

Quote from: "gussy"I was in Iowa City a few weeks ago.  Nice little college town, seemed pretty liberal and the cost of living looked pretty average.  I was impressed by how well the state was run.  The roads were well paved and the government employees were actually friendly.  I would move there if I could.

It's a great place to be white.
???  ??

mykcob4

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"Just passed through Iowa City a couple of times, but if their winters are like those in Omaha, I don't want to live there.  Of course, compared to Denver the winters aren't that bad, I suppose.

PopeyesPappy wrote:
QuoteYou say that like libratards are immune to condescending attitudes concerning their utopian market economy bullshit.
Didn't mean to.  Conservatives and "libratards" also act condescending to others who don't hold their views.  It is like how people become fanatical about sport teams, where "Anyone who isn't a Braves fan, is a turd." type of mentality.  Which is part of the reason I don't like broad political labels.  That being said, if liberals want their ideals to be accepted in the "fly-over" states, they should quit labeling those who live there with derogatory names.  IMHO.

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteEvery bill introduced sponsored and written to benefit the general public was done by a Liberal. That is just a fact.
Well if you define Liberal as those who benefit the general public, I can't argue with that.  I was going by the generally accepted notion that a Liberal is someone who wants bigger government.  Which goes back to my contention that the labels liberal and conservative are misleading and pretty much worthless.

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteLiberals don't down to people. On the contrary, they respect people no matter their economic condition.
They why do so many "Liberals" talk down to people like me?  Just because I'm white and don't have an advanced degree or thousands to spend on "Liberal" candidates.  Read what I wrote to PoppeyesPappy, then continue to make large over sweeping statements.  So-called "Liberal" politicians can be as corrupt and disrespectful of the poor, as the worse "Conservative" politicians are.  Failure to recognize that is what has allowed the Democrans to make things worse for the poor.

We covered Obamacare elsewhere, let's not open that can of worms here.  I just mentioned it to show that not everyone agrees it is good for the poor.
Liberals don't want bigger government. That is just more conservative propaganda. Liberals want a government that makes the playing field fair and safe, that provides equal opportunity for all. Thats not wanting bigger givernment. The fact is that conservatives have increased spending every single time they took office. You are under the dellussion that "government is the problem." That is a bumpersticker mentality slogan stated by Reagan and its a propagandous lie.
I haven't any evidence that Liberals talk down to you or people like you. That is a sweeping generalization and it's a falsehood.
You are just like every single person that I have met that watches FOX and or listens to Rush. They tell you that Liberals talk down to you, that Liberals are elitest and you believe it. The elitest are people like the Koch brothers that prey on the poor. I wouldn't  call Warren Buffet an elitest. If you feel insecure because you don't have a certain degree thats your problem. If you feel discriminated against because you're white then you aren't facing reality.
I have a friend that is a conservative . He loves football. He hates the pink that NFL wears for breast cancer awareness. He thinks that men are being discriminated against. I explained that being for something isn't being against something else. Breast Cancer Awareness isn't men it's for Breast Cancer Awareness. He just doesn't get it. I feel that your feeling of being talked down to and being cut down is much in the same light.

AllPurposeAtheist

Heh..the nfl does the pink thing for market share. They want football to appeal to women and little else so they can sell tickets, commercials and nfl licensed clothing and other crap.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

LikelyToBreak

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteLiberals don't want bigger government. That is just more conservative propaganda.
And there is no such thing as liberal propaganda?

I maintain both sides, if there really are two sides, propagandize and often tell bold-faced lies.

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteYou are under the dellussion that "government is the problem." That is a bumpersticker mentality slogan stated by Reagan and its a propagandous lie.
My delusion is that many in government are corrupt.  Including many so-called "Liberals."  I know the so-called conservatives are corrupt too, but on this forum pointing that out is just preaching to the choir.

Without being able to write a book about politics on this forum, all of our writings are bumper-sticker comments.  Gets frustrating doesn't it?  #-o

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteI haven't any evidence that Liberals talk down to you or people like you. That is a sweeping generalization and it's a falsehood.
You are just like every single person that I have met that watches FOX and or listens to Rush.
Which is part of the reason I hate sweeping generalizations, but in this case its' not a falsehood.  I have only watched FOX news when it was on at a doctor's or dentist's office.  I have not listened to Rush since the early nineties.  Yet, mykcob4 is implying that I am a supporter of the main-stream conservative Republican propaganda.  And I am not supposed to be insulted by the implied bigotry of the statement, unless I am so insecure that I can't recognize a compliment when it is given?

I don't have any problem with anybody who wants to wear pink.  Not a football fan.  I would probably end up arguing politics with mykcob4's conservative friend.  Yet, mykcob4 seems to imply I am just like his friend.

I am against corruption in government.  Does that make me a "Liberal" or a "Conservative?"  Both of who usually consider me a tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theory nut-job.  Which is why I dislike "Liberals" and "Conservatives."  Neither of which will allow their favorite politician to face public scrutiny for their crimes.

stromboli

Quote from: "SilentFutility"[ Image ]

Literally this and only this.

Thou hast nailed it, O Holy One.  =D>

mykcob4

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteLiberals don't want bigger government. That is just more conservative propaganda.
And there is no such thing as liberal propaganda?

I maintain both sides, if there really are two sides, propagandize and often tell bold-faced lies.

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteYou are under the dellussion that "government is the problem." That is a bumpersticker mentality slogan stated by Reagan and its a propagandous lie.
My delusion is that many in government are corrupt.  Including many so-called "Liberals."  I know the so-called conservatives are corrupt too, but on this forum pointing that out is just preaching to the choir.

Without being able to write a book about politics on this forum, all of our writings are bumper-sticker comments.  Gets frustrating doesn't it?  #-o

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteI haven't any evidence that Liberals talk down to you or people like you. That is a sweeping generalization and it's a falsehood.
You are just like every single person that I have met that watches FOX and or listens to Rush.
Which is part of the reason I hate sweeping generalizations, but in this case its' not a falsehood.  I have only watched FOX news when it was on at a doctor's or dentist's office.  I have not listened to Rush since the early nineties.  Yet, mykcob4 is implying that I am a supporter of the main-stream conservative Republican propaganda.  And I am not supposed to be insulted by the implied bigotry of the statement, unless I am so insecure that I can't recognize a compliment when it is given?

I don't have any problem with anybody who wants to wear pink.  Not a football fan.  I would probably end up arguing politics with mykcob4's conservative friend.  Yet, mykcob4 seems to imply I am just like his friend.

I am against corruption in government.  Does that make me a "Liberal" or a "Conservative?"  Both of who usually consider me a tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theory nut-job.  Which is why I dislike "Liberals" and "Conservatives."  Neither of which will allow their favorite politician to face public scrutiny for their crimes.
Oh come on I said you were like my friend only in the sense that you think that you are being cutdown when someone praises something else. AND I said that I suspected that. We have had the corruption in government talk many times now and it always comes down to you claiming that everyone is corrupt and also claiming that I follow blindly. Neither is ever the case. I said your statements are bumper-sticker mentality sound bites and it implies that you listen or watch those people that you parrot.
You may be against corruption in government but so far all you have done on this forum is display a full blown conspiracy theory mentality about everything.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Plu"That graph doesn't make any sense... I know what it's supposed to mean because I know what the basic concept is, but the graph does not work at all if you try to actually read it. I mean; if you have a lot of quantity and a lot of supply, the price is high? What does it even mean to have lots of quantity and lots of supply? :/
I just pulled it off the internet, admittedly the titles of the axes aren't great for looking at the graph and understanding it.
When I did economics at school we were taught to draw lines off that graph with a ruler which then did actually make sense with those axis titles.

What I was trying to illustrate is that most places that are great places to live are expensive as lots of people want to live there, which drives the price up. Especially for things like city-centre apartments in NYC, where I'm sure the number of people who want to live there vastly outweighs the number of apartments there, and I'm sure that as a result apartments in wherever the good part of manhattan is are extremely expensive.

Perhaps liberalism is influencing where people want to live? Or perhaps this is a coincidental factor and these places have other things going for them as well?

hillbillyatheist

I know it sucks for a person like me. If I had a car and could see to drive it, I would probably live in a rural area that's dirt cheap.

I have to live near public transit, and liberal places typically have much better public transit. The problem is finding an apartment or house that is close to good frequent. reliable transit that is also low-cost and safe from crime.

If you live in America and you're poor and can't drive you don't have any good options you only have an array of shitty options some shittier than others
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here