News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why?

Started by oliver, November 01, 2013, 02:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oliver

Hello

My name is Oliver, I'm 34 and from Cape Town, SA.  Probably jumping into it, but..  why do forums such as this one exist?  I know that it's partly to spread the word and for people to engage with like-minded individuals with similar values/beliefs but to a certain degree it seems as though people here are looking for mentors, as if trying to overcome or justify some void in their life.  Not wanting to open a can of worms but why have to share your experiences of un-belief when there simply are none?

stromboli

Welcome. A forum is not just a place to debate but also a place to learn and to shape ideas. True there are people looking for mentors, but there are also people looking to mentor. We have had people come on here that were uncertain about religion or even adamant about it, that have changed their thinking and grown from it.

Many of us live in places where atheism is not a common or popular idea, and it gives a place to communicate
with like minded people. It is a tool. It is as useful or useless as you make it. There are many topic headings. It is a place to share new knowledge and new viewpoints.

Brian37

What? The atheists here are looking for mentors? HA!

You have opened a can of worms.

You picked one website, if you have ever spent any time at several atheists websites the last thing you would see is Hitler Goose Step, Lock step agreement.

I have blasted other atheists not just here, but on other atheist websites, and I have made lots of enemies on the atheist websites I hang out at.

Neither I or my detractors are looking for "mentors".

And that is saying a lot considering I have deviated from my standard welcome.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

stromboli

One thing to remember is that this forum is less specific in its target. "Atheist" covers a wide range of opinions, political viewpoints and lifestyles; hence the large topic list. A Christian or Islamic forum is going to be far less varied in content. Likewise a forum about a specific vehicle like a motorcycle or car. An Ex-Mormon forum will be about the religion and only deal with aspects of it.

Plu

I come here because this forum is full of intelligent and individualistic people, who value science and logic and constantly post interesting articles and often discuss all sorts of philosophical or political topics.

The atheist part to me is not even all that relevant except in ensuring that most of the people on it will appreciate facts over beliefs, which normally poisons discussions on many other mediums.

Hydra009

Quote from: "oliver"Hello

My name is Oliver, I'm 34 and from Cape Town, SA.  Probably jumping into it, but..  why do forums such as this one exist?
Uggh.  This again.  Site after site for everything under the sun but apparently, a site about atheism/atheists is a hard concept to understand.

QuoteI know that it's partly to spread the word and for people to engage with like-minded individuals with similar values/beliefs but to a certain degree it seems as though people here are looking for mentors, as if trying to overcome or justify some void in their life.
Lurk moar.

It's actually 50% news-n-views, 30% coffee klatch, 15% theist troll threads, and 5% unrepentant worthless posting.  Guess which one I have you pegged at.

QuoteNot wanting to open a can of worms
Well, too bad.  Cause bro, you done dropped that can, opened it, waved a bunch of people over, pointed at it, and said that you didn't want to open it.

Quotebut why have to share your experiences of un-belief when there simply are none?
So much wrong with that sentence...   #-o

Atheism itself is just a really broad category of people who simply don't do god.  There's not a whole lot to discuss there.  However, atheists themselves are people who have had a lot of experiences viewing religion from the outside and often, the inside.   And obviously, we talk about lots of other stuff, too.  Most politics, science, entertainment, the day-to-day travails, etc.  Plenty of things to talk about and more than deserving of its meager bandwidth, if it pleases Your Grace.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "oliver"Probably jumping into it, but..  why do forums such as this one exist?
The same reason any other forum exists.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PickelledEggs

Are you sure that you are not just imagining this thread? There is a lot of people that have hyperactive imaginations... In-fact, even some adults have imaginary friends that they actually believe are real.

Jason78

Quote from: "oliver"why?

Because.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

aitm

I come here for beer and pussy....been here near five years ain't seen neither......damn atheist assholes.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

mykcob4

Quote from: "oliver"Hello

My name is Oliver, I'm 34 and from Cape Town, SA.  Probably jumping into it, but..  why do forums such as this one exist?  I know that it's partly to spread the word and for people to engage with like-minded individuals with similar values/beliefs but to a certain degree it seems as though people here are looking for mentors, as if trying to overcome or justify some void in their life.  Not wanting to open a can of worms but why have to share your experiences of un-belief when there simply are none?
Why did you come on this forum? You took the trouble to join and post enough so you could start a thread. Seems to me that people want to associate with people that have the basic same ideals. Aren't there enough religious forums? Why do they exist? Why are there forums at all?
People aren't here to "spread the word"! Mentors? I'm not looking for any mentor! You are making some wild and unfounded assumptions!
And by the way, since belief is a personnal thing between someone and their god, why do they share? Why do they share to the point that they force their personnal mythology on others?
You need to back up and rethink, if you thought at all or just leave!

Solitary

Just because we don't believe in superstitious nonsense doesn't mean we don't believe in anything. I for one believe in reality.  :roll: Solitary.

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Aletheia

Quote from: "oliver"...why have to share your experiences of un-belief when there simply are none?

I have plenty of experiences of "un-belief," as do you, I'm sure.

Most people on this planet have no belief in Zeus. None, nada, zilch. I'm pretty sure that you don't believe in the ancient greek god with a sex drive of literally epic proportions.

Why come here at all to this forum if you've already made assumptions without involving some critical thinking and a little research on your part?
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "aitm"I come here for beer and pussy....been here near five years ain't seen neither......damn atheist assholes.
You mean this ISN'T a dating site? :shock:
That gives me a new business idea.. atheistfuckbuddies.com :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.