News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Theist Joining atheistforum.com

Started by Irenaeus, October 31, 2013, 10:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irenaeus

Hello people!  I am no atheist but nevertheless, I thought it would be interesting to get to hear the perspective of the antithesis position.  I have for quite some time considered the naturalism/theism discussion and can no longer take atheism seriously whatsoever.  Hopefully I can bring something interesting to the discussions.

aitm

I apologize for this sophomoric response but when I read your nick my mind said Uranus.....that is all.

oh welcome...this may be fun...or not

:popcorn:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

stromboli

Welcome. So you can take belief in myth based on faith seriously but not rational thinking based on facts?

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Irenaeus"....can no longer take atheism seriously whatsoever.  Hopefully I can bring something interesting to the discussions.

I doubt it with an attitude like that, but welcome, anyway. I guess.

:-?
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Aletheia

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what you may think atheism entails, but all extras aside, we essentially lack a belief in any deity whatsoever. Most of us on this forum will tend to favor rational thinking and prefer science to spirituality (although we do have a few theists, deists, and spiritual atheists who lurk about here and there).

With that in mind, please note that many of the arguments you will bring have probably been heard a thousand times already, that many of the members here are former theists so are not strangers to the theist manner of thinking, and we are often pelted by visiting theists with preconceived notions of what an atheist is and occasionally harbor hostile intent toward us.

It would be nice to have a pleasant encounter with a visiting theist for a change.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Savior2006

Quote from: "Irenaeus"Hello people!  I am no atheist but nevertheless, I thought it would be interesting to get to hear the perspective of the antithesis position.  I have for quite some time considered the naturalism/theism discussion and can no longer take atheism seriously whatsoever.  Hopefully I can bring something interesting to the discussions.

Nice to have you here. At the risk of everyone swarming you with questions, I'm kind of curious. What about atheism do you not take seriously?
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Irenaeus"I have for quite some time considered the naturalism/theism discussion and can no longer take atheism seriously whatsoever.
You will be a slightly more entertaining chew-toy than usual.

Please remember these general guidelines while you're "bringing something interesting" to our discussions:
  • Every argument you make about religion is one we have heard a thousand times.
  • Most of what you say will be dismissed out of hand. (See above.)
  • If we're in a good mood, we'll answer your arguments.
  • If you answer our counterpoints by repeating your assertion, we'll make fun of you.
  • If you're a good boy and we're feeling exceptionally generous, we might actually take the time to explain our beliefs and the reasoning behind them to you.
  • Should you demonstrate the latter point to be a waste of our time, we usually start calling for the banhammer.
  • Besides you, we have exactly one theist on the forum at the moment who has not either left or been banned.

Have fun, now. :-D
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: "Irenaeus"Hello people!  I am no atheist but nevertheless, I thought it would be interesting to get to hear the perspective of the antithesis position.
Simple.  My perspective is that I hate theses.   :P

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "Irenaeus"I have for quite some time considered the naturalism/theism discussion and can no longer take atheism seriously whatsoever.
You will be a slightly more entertaining chew-toy than usual.

Please remember these general guidelines while you're "bringing something interesting" to our discussions:
  • Every argument you make about religion is one we have heard a thousand times.
  • Most of what you say will be dismissed out of hand. (See above.)
  • If we're in a good mood, we'll answer your arguments.
  • If you answer our counterpoints by repeating your assertion, we'll make fun of you.
  • If you're a good boy and we're feeling exceptionally generous, we might actually take the time to explain our beliefs and the reasoning behind them to you.
  • Should you demonstrate the latter point to be a waste of our time, we usually start calling for the banhammer.
  • Besides you, we have exactly one theist on the forum at the moment who has not either left or been banned.

Have fun, now. :-D
This is pretty accurate. We've heard it, thought about it, don't buy it, and don't care. You would honestly be better off picking up a book like The God Delusion than dealing with a bunch of people like us who are bored with believers.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Solitary

Quote from: "Irenaeus"Hello people!  I am no atheist but nevertheless, I thought it would be interesting to get to hear the perspective of the antithesis position.  I have for quite some time considered the naturalism/theism discussion and can no longer take atheism seriously whatsoever.  Hopefully I can bring something interesting to the discussions.

Why do you take a belief in God serious? The atheist position is simple: no reliable evidence, no gods or god.  Ancient Scriptures by sheep herders and delusional people that see spiritual beings and hear voices doesn't cut it. And atheist know for sure it's really an invisible pink unicorn that is master of the universe.  :roll:  :lol: See! We don't take our beliefs serious, and we eat babies like Lilith did in the Old Testament and mentioned in the New Testament among other mythical creatures, the first woman created by God.  :twisted:  Solitary  

What do you have to offer as the mother of God?
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Meh.. most of my friends and others I know are theists and I make fun of them to their faces and we somehow get along for the most part. I just don't buy into their wacky ideas.. 99.99% bullshit, but whatever.. :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Plu

Welcome aboard. And good luck. You'll need it.

Shiranu

QuoteI have for quite some time considered the naturalism/theism discussion and can no longer take atheism seriously whatsoever.

"The world came together through natural laws and processes that have been constant for 13.8 billion years without fail... preposterous!"

"The world is too complex to have come from natural processes, it was created in a blink (and 5 or 6?) days by an even more complex, omnipotent being that spontaneously appeared from nothing and is everywhere and nowhere at the same time and violates multiple laws of nature and logic... makes more sense to me!"

Sorry, I am having a hard time how you can say theism is not the more ridiculous of the two positions.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason78

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay :)
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato