Obamacare Can't Get Internet to Work

Started by SGOS, October 31, 2013, 07:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

The internet site where you buy Obamacare doesn't work,  Well, not so good, anyway.  I can't imagine how cable news, Fox and CNN must be droning on about this, because it's even starting to dominate NPR, which is my only real source for news.  But programming malfunction seems to be the current crisis of the media day.

It doesn't work?  Why the crisis?  Fix it.  Fix it this weekend.  It can't be that hard.  Yahoo, Google, Netflix, and Amazon all work with data bases as large or larger than Obamacare.  Getting your corner of the World Wide Web to function properly is old hat.  Business has been doing it for years.

The issue is not whether the site runs properly.  I can't imagine why this glitch is even noteworthy.  The final issue is whether or not Obamacare delivers better insurance at a more affordable price.  We don't have the answer to this yet.  Unfortunately, neither Republicans or Democrats actually knew if Obamacare would be good or bad for the country.  Support and opposition has been mostly based on reasons even less important than one's personal philosophical and economic ideologies.  I you wanted it to work, you supported it.  If you wanted it to fail you opposed it.  The current crisis is a waste of time and little more than political theater.

We have yet to find out if it will make healthcare more effective and affordable for most Americans.  This is the bottom line, and factual information addressing this has been blatantly absent from the debate of the last three years.  The real rubber has not yet met the road.  The thing that matters is still unknown, but this information should be just around the corner.

Plu

QuoteIt doesn't work? Why the crisis? Fix it. Fix it this weekend. It can't be that hard.

Errrr. That's not really how it works, especially not with new software that hasn't been field-tested properly yet.

Jason78

Quote from: "SGOS"It can't be that hard.

Nah!  Not that hard at all.

My job is so easy that you could probably train a pigeon to do it.  After all, computer code is just 1's and 0's right?  How hard can it be to type out 1's and 0's right?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "SGOS"It can't be that hard.

Nah!  Not that hard at all.

My job is so easy that you could probably train a pigeon to do it.  After all, computer code is just 1's and 0's right?  How hard can it be to type out 1's and 0's right?

Ok, I admit I may have exaggerated a bit.  I've programmed before, and I know it's not easy, but three years should provide adequate time.  Anyway, I don't think this is worth that much media hype.  It's not working right.  Just fix it.  The operation of the site is obviously crucial, but the goal of Obamacare is a larger issue.

I read a piece in Forbes, which is most likely a conservative spin.  The article claimed the problems with the sites are intentional with the goal of hiding consumer costs.  This sounds awfully conspiratorial and I doubt that astute readers of Forbes are buying it.  Why hide cost issues?  I don't see how that helps the administration, and I'm doubtful about that claim.  

Having said that, I did hear people complaining the other day about how their rates are going up.  I don't know if they were just grumpy right wingers or if this will eventually be a major issue with the Affordable Health Care Act.  But I'm of the opinion that taking insurance corporations out of the equation should be a first step in making healthcare affordable.

aileron

Quote from: "SGOS"The issue is not whether the site runs properly.

Agreed.  The site doesn't work properly, but people can call them and go over options with a human being.  Problem solved.  The drama queens in the media have to have something to fill the airtime.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez